PDA

View Full Version : Knorr Sides Plus

flemdawg1
2008-03-08, 01:09
Anyone tried those new Knorr noodle packs that include freeze dried veggies in the pack. I saw them y-day and wonder if they'd do alright on the trail.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-08, 11:15
I've used them at home and they worked fine - haven't tried using them with a cozy yet though

mountain squid
2008-03-08, 15:21
Hey MM2,

I think those Knorr Sides are pretty much the same as Lipton Sides which are a main staple on the AT. Add a chicken or tuna packet to make a fairly decent meal. If you do use a cozy, only add about half the required liquid.

See you on the trail,
mt squid
:rankn-cpo

dropkick
2008-03-10, 01:57
Heard these don't do real well in a cozy.
Haven't tried them (or Lipton sides) that way though.

-I usually stick with Ramen, homemade noodles, cous cous, or one of the other quick noodle versions.

dropkick
2008-03-10, 02:10
Just did a quick search and found a site where they cozy cooked Knorr noodle mixes on the PCT. They recommended soaking the noodles for 1/2 hour before putting them in the cozy.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-10, 08:15
Depending on which veggies are in the mix and how they are cut, I can see that cozy cooking might not get them to rehydrate - carrots cut in small cubes and whole green peas seem to take a higher temp and longer soak IME - I use split peas and shredded carrots in my homemade mixes to avoid this pitfall.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-10, 11:25
Yup, I use Lipton's unless Knorr are also in the store. Then I buy the cheapest. Ususally it's the Knorr. Then end.:boring:

enviro
2008-03-10, 12:32
I've tried freezer bag cooking Liptons sides and it really doesn't work too well. The noodles end up partially cooked and pasty. I would assume the Knorr sides would be about the same.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-10, 17:09
I've tried freezer bag cooking Liptons sides and it really doesn't work too well. The noodles end up partially cooked and pasty. I would assume the Knorr sides would be about the same.

I Cook mine right in my pot, dial in the amount of fuel and water I need and let them finish in their own heat (with lid on) after the fuel runs out.
They always work out quite well that way, nice and thick yet moist and creamer - and I mean this next comment in a very trail dinner kind of way. . . Mmmmmm.

enviro
2008-03-12, 14:29
I Cook mine right in my pot, dial in the amount of fuel and water I need and let them finish in their own heat (with lid on) after the fuel runs out.
They always work out quite well that way, nice and thick yet moist and creamer - and I mean this next comment in a very trail dinner kind of way. . . Mmmmmm.

You cook in a pot? That is just like so 1990s.:bike:

Just Plain Jim
2008-03-12, 15:12
I've freezer bag and cozy cooked for the past 2 years and everything I put in comes out great. Maybe I'm just soooo hungry.:aetsch:

warraghiyagey
2008-03-12, 18:19
You cook in a pot? That is just like so 1990s.:bike:

"The 90's are gonna make the 60's look like the 50's" - Dennis Hopper

dropkick
2008-03-13, 04:02
I've freezer bag and cozy cooked for the past 2 years and everything I put in comes out great. Maybe I'm just soooo hungry.:aetsch:

Like I said before I haven't tried Lipton or Knorr sides in a cozy, but I would bet that one of the problems was with people being to eager and not giving it enough time to finish off. - I occasionally have that problem.

-Just thought I'd post this in case anyone is getting confused-
We aren't talking about the soup mixes. We're talking about the sides (big noodles).

Take-a-knee
2008-03-16, 02:32

I've tried a couple that cooked up fine in a freezer bag. 14oz boiling water, add the chicken and put the bag in a reflectix cozy for fifteen minutes. The chicken chunks even fell apart.

enviro
2008-03-16, 15:33
I must be holding my mouth wrong, cause I just can't get the noodles cooked to suit me.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-16, 17:54
I must be holding my mouth wrong, .

I've only heard that justification for someone who can't catch a fish.
:biggrin:

enviro
2008-03-16, 18:47
It's an explanation for anything that others get to work and I can't. It just seems to keep my self-esteem up better than saying "Gee I guess I'm just too F***ing stupid". :albertein

warraghiyagey
2008-03-16, 19:06
"Gee I guess I'm just too F***ing stupid". :albertein

That's the one I usually use.
:albertein

atraildreamer
2008-03-17, 11:04
Hey MM2,

I think those Knorr Sides are pretty much the same as Lipton Sides...

They are now one and the same:

http://www.letsmakeknorr.com/wholegrains_sweeps.asp

enviro
2008-03-17, 12:41
That's the one I usually use.
:albertein

I just don't need to say it. It's usually obvious.

Take-a-knee
2008-03-19, 11:05
I've tried a couple that cooked up fine in a freezer bag. 14oz boiling water, add the chicken and put the bag in a reflectix cozy for fifteen minutes. The chicken chunks even fell apart.

The ones I've tried in a cozy were rice meals, I'll try a noodle meal and report back.