PDA

View Full Version : bad fuel?

clodbuster
2008-03-10, 11:27
I bought a qt of sunnside denatured alky and tried it in my stoves. It sooted my pan like crazy. Heet or Kleen strip denatured burned nice and blue no soot. The tech man at Sunnyside says the recipe is 96% ethanol and 4% methanol. How come it wont burn as well as the other kinds of fuel? E-85 motor fuel soots like crazy too.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-10, 11:31
I bought a qt of sunnside denatured alky and tried it in my stoves. It sooted my pan like crazy. Heet or Kleen strip denatured burned nice and blue no soot. The tech man at Sunnyside says the recipe is 96% ethanol and 4% methanol. How come it wont burn as well as the other kinds of fuel? E-85 motor fuel soots like crazy too.

Not sure why that particular fuel soots up. VonFrick would likely know the scientific explanation. For me, HEET works and burns clean. So I don't bother trying any others.
I tried some lesser fuels in the past, the trail is a bad place to find out your fuel burns dirty. It's nearly impossible to keep the residue off your gear.

Streamweaver
2008-03-10, 13:39
There must have been some water or other impurities in the can of Alky to soot up like that. I also use the HEET(in the yellow bottle) and no problems so far.

dropkick
2008-03-15, 23:52
I've heard of this problem with Sunnyside brand denatured before.
Sounds like they either have very poor quality control or they're ripping people off by adding isopropyl or something else.
I would avoid their products from now on.

Yellow bottle Heet or Kleen-Strip S-L-X are good to use, as are most other brands of denatured.
-I've used all kinds of no-name denatured brands and haven't ever had a problem.

pure_mahem
2008-03-16, 06:39
I use the Yellow bottle and don't have any problems. Plus you can usually find yellow heet just about everywhere, a definite must for trail necessities. If your looking for a good deal for bulk at home try Brake Line Antifreeze, you can usually find it at truck stops.