PDA

View Full Version : Is Camping Boring?

Swingo
2008-03-16, 20:36
Just curious here, what does everyone do after camp is set up? Once the sun set, I was alone in the woods and bored to tears. Nice fire, nice camp, not much else. It was only 9 pm, too early to go to bed, too dark to hike.

vonfrick
2008-03-16, 21:01
i write or draw. but just thinking and listening is always good!

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-16, 21:14
I usually just go to bed early and get up at dawn when backpacking While I enjoy camping, the things I can take with me while backpacking limit several of the activities I enjoy while camping.

deadeye
2008-03-16, 21:25
That's part of the reason I camp at, near or even in shelters. I'm alone all day, and prefer it that way, but once the day's walking is done, I'm happy to have company to watch the fire.

GGS
2008-03-16, 23:28
Same problem here when I'm backpacking alone.

I should do what Frolicking Dino does, rise at dawn and go to bed early, that way my waking hours could be spent hiking. But I'm such an ingrained night owl I really have trouble doing that.

With car camping it's easier, I can just reach into the cooler and crack a cold one while sitting in my folding camping chair by the fire. Get enough of a buzz and suddenly I don't care about being bored anymore...

warraghiyagey
2008-03-17, 00:22
The same things Von Frick said, minus the drawing.
Listening and gazing at the stars and the moon are intoxicating enough for me. But there is a very certain magic in just listening to the sounds of the earth, woods, wind, water and the other creatures that stir about in the night.

dropkick
2008-03-17, 01:23
I do some reading.
Before LEDs I used up a ton of batteries.

If the moon is bright enough sometimes I night hike.
Everything is different in the dark.

I also usually wake with the sun.
Though unlike Dino I'll stay in bed and read for an hour or so before getting up.

Amigi
2008-03-17, 07:35
Personally, I take GGS's approach. Beer is a great boredom killer. I can stare at a fire, look up at the sky, and think all nite in front of a fire. I also try to camp in places with stuff to do during the day, like canoeing, hiking, swimming, etc. I also will play sudoku or read at nite. I'm just happy being out.

Tipi Walter
2008-03-17, 08:05
Some people never get bored but I'm not one of them. Winter backpacking expecially can have some long, boring nights in the tent. One way to fight boredom is to hike all day until early evening, set up an exhausted camp, cook and crash. This system works and fatigue takes over boredom.

Otherwise, I have a few things to keep me occupied. One is a little AM/FM radio. Another is a variety of reading materials, books, copied Trail Journals(both sides copied for weight saving). All burned during the trip. I can find used cheap books that I burn page by page, but they gotta be interesting!

Keeping a journal definitely displaces boredom, and I like to sit around and think up all my past backpacking trips and create a rough outline on paper, a sort of history of my camping life. This can really help to kill the hours. I remember the old gear I used, the places I used it, and I try to write it all coherently down. The more I write the more I remember.

Where was I in 1977? What gear did I have? Where was I backpacking in 1980? Can I name all the people I've gone out with? You get the idea.

JAK
2008-03-17, 09:08
When I am hungry, I love to cook.
When my feet are sore, I love to camp.
I usually just read, make tea, and play with fire.

If I was out longer I would probably get bored though, and have to find more to do.

I'm never bored when hiking with my daughter though. She might be.

Tangent
2008-03-17, 09:53
Hike until you're too tired to move, then hike a little more. Pitch camp and go to sleep. I carry a pack of cards with me so whatever game I decide to play that night is fair game as well.

enviro
2008-03-17, 12:15
I always have a book w/ me and usually a little bit of spirits. I'll have a cocktail, eat, sip, read and I'm usually tired enough to go to bed early, 9:00 is not an unusual bedtime for Bonzo here.

Oh I also jump and shine my headlamp into the darkness at every sound cause I'm scared of the dark.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-17, 13:42
Oh I also jump and shine my headlamp into the darkness at every sound cause I'm scared of the dark.

HA! . . . Dork!!

:biggrin:

enviro
2008-03-17, 13:56
I said Dark not Dork.

For the record...I'm not scared of Dorks...so you're not safe Warrgey.:boxing:

vonfrick
2008-03-17, 14:08
i'm leavin' this one alone

bryanf
2008-03-18, 00:09
In all of the hiking I have done I have never had any trace of boredom. I am usually too tired to even enjoy thinking about the day's hike or planning for the next one by the time I get settled in the evening. I always bring a small book with me and rarely get a chance to read it.

GGS
2008-03-18, 00:31
In all of the hiking I have done I have never had any trace of boredom. I am usually too tired to even enjoy thinking about the day's hike or planning for the next one by the time I get settled in the evening. I always bring a small book with me and rarely get a chance to read it.

Admittedly one of my problems contributing to this is being out of shape. When one suffers from low endurance one finds the body exhausted long before the mind and the day let up. Then one is sitting around bored but too pooped physically to do anything about it.

A dilemna I've a goal to have solved by July...

warraghiyagey
2008-03-18, 01:03
I said Dark not Dork.

For the record...I'm not scared of Dorks...so you're not safe Warrgey.:boxing:
Dork.

:biggrin: :angel: :ahhhhh:

i'm leavin' this one alone

Wuss . . . I mean My Queen Dork Breath.:adore:

enviro
2008-03-18, 01:10
[QUOTE=warraghiyagey;24157]Dork.
QUOTE]

I'm rubber you're glue:aetsch:

warraghiyagey
2008-03-18, 01:12
Wheatever you're bouncing off stick to the glue that you have off of me . . . er something . . .
:albertein

enviro
2008-03-18, 01:17
dorkiness:beer:

warraghiyagey
2008-03-18, 02:21
Dislexic Dorks of the World Untie!!
:beer: :biggrin:

warraghiyagey
2008-03-18, 02:22
dorkiness:beer:

BTW, did you know our very own VonFrick is 'Queen Dork Breath?'

:ahhhhh:

enviro
2008-03-18, 14:48
BTW, did you know our very own VonFrick is 'Queen Dork Breath?'

:ahhhhh:

I have heard that, but didn't want to press the issue. It smells like a set-up to me.:dontknow:

vonfrick
2008-03-18, 16:12
sigh

:rolleyes2

carry on ;)

Amigi
2008-03-18, 20:30
More and more like WB everyday. Soon it will be time to find a new hiking site. Sorry Rock and Dix, but we used to have constructive discussion here. I dont see Iceman and JAK and Turk posting much anymore. Wonder why?

When the "What kind of snake is this" thread falls into a private jibe session, it's time to move on.... Love ya all. We really dont need this shiit here. But it aint my site.

enviro
2008-03-18, 20:44
Amigi as one of the culprits in this, I guess you are correct. We sort of got carried away. But I think there is a place for this site without folks yelling and screaming at each other.

There is ample opportunity to start new threads related to more serious subjects. I'm all for it.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-18, 22:09
Yabul, Commandante!

GGS2
2008-03-19, 02:28
If we're getting back on topic, I don't find camping boring. But I basically hike until dusk and set up just before the stars come out, unless I stop for a reason, like foul weather or I have something to do. Trick is to keep active as long as possible, and then kip out pretty quick. As I get old, I find myself waking more in the night because of sore joints and need to water the forest, and in the winter, the nights are longer than necessary, so the mornings are sometimes wakeful before they need to be. So it does happen that I have waking time on my hands. If that's the case, I usually meditate, doze, or contemplate my surroundings. There's always something going on out there. Long winter nights or mornings are the quietest, and then there's almost always the sound of the snow and the trees, or something to listen to.

If I'm caught during the day in bad weather, I either get out anyway, or try some craft skill I need to work on. It's all in the mind. If you have a quiet mind, there's never any problem with boredom. Even boredom is interesting, if you watch it right.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-19, 03:05
If I'm caught during the day in bad weather, I either get out anyway, or try some craft skill I need to work on. It's all in the mind. If you have a quiet mind, there's never any problem with boredom. Even boredom is interesting, if you watch it right.

Sage words my friend. I have a harmonica, a note pad, a knife , plenty of windfall carving wood, my voice and my mind to occupy any day and night on the trail. If there's not enough out there for someone, they haven't weaned themselves from the TV/100 mph society yet.
When I'm completely still in the woods, on the trail . . . it rushes in . . . and over me.

Wise Old Owl
2008-03-19, 12:35
It is what you make of it. My dad is 70 now and still active enough that he enjoys the great outdoors - IN COMFORT! We drive some four hours to be in the wilderness once a month. This photo was taken in late fall at Little Pine Creek. We went to see the fall colours, and visit fine local public establishments We did a mountain bike trip, and kayak trip combined. Each night coming back for dinner and a fire. Those are 8 man tents for just two people. The Easy up is the kitchen, the whole set up is less than a hour with a meal. Our nights dipped below freezing. We have a great time.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/tent.jpg

enviro
2008-03-19, 12:43
GGS2 you mentioned one of my favorite things in the woods. When it is snowing...sitting outside and watching the flakes come down and even better is the sound of the snowflakes falling through the trees. Love it!

Mark, that's great to be able to do that with your father. When my children were very small we "Car Camped" a lot and had great times. IMO being outside is the main thing.

ki0eh
2008-03-19, 13:11
Amigi as one of the culprits in this, I guess you are correct. We sort of got carried away. But I think there is a place for this site without folks yelling and screaming at each other.

I'm glad to see a place that's not in attack mode. I don't mind sitting around a campfire with others and it's not even too bad if some of the talk starts to get too inside as long as there's a willingness to open up and embrace others.

Happened last weekend on the trail, and it might have here.

In both cases, it helped to stave off winter camping boredom. :biggrin:
________
Los angeles dispensary (http://dispensaries.org/)

flemdawg1
2008-03-19, 13:51
Car-camping is what I'm mostly doing now due to my 2 youngest being 1.5 and 3yo. And like somone else said, it is what you make it. And yes we do hit the rack pretty early. Last fall we went to a SP in Ohio that showed movies every night at the pavillion. At aonother SP in AL we basically had the whole CG to ourselves so we sang campsongs and made smores. This year I'm thinking of getting the girls some headlamps and doing a few short night-hikes.

Pappyhighlife
2008-03-19, 14:15
I work on tasks - before I start a trip I usually have some projects or tasks to do after camp is set up. Sometimes I build a lean that I use to cook in away from camp in the rain. I have made bowls with my knife and fire embers. In a rocky area I like to try and build a stone oven and test it. I try knapping and firestarting without matches stuff like that.

Clean it up the next morning and move on. I am never bored in camp there is always something to do and keep the kids busy as well when they are with me. Good stuff.

Even tried a raft once took hours and sunk in seconds <<..>>

GGS
2008-03-19, 14:15
I'm glad to see a place that's not in attack mode. I don't mind sitting around a campfire with others and it's not even too bad if some of the talk starts to get too inside as long as there's a willingness to open up and embrace others.

Happened last weekend on the trail, and it might have here.

In both cases, it helped to stave off winter camping boredom. :biggrin:

Granted, I'd rather see some jovial exchange that some of the flaming put-downs that we've seen here in the past. And a little tongue-in-cheek humor is always welcome. Even Sgt Rock, Iceman, and others have a few one line posts aimed at teasing someone and off-topic.

But I think a little balance is good too. This site is of value to me because of its information and also because of the intellectual discussion that takes place. Hijacking a thread just to engage in juvenile activity that is better suited for high schoolers instant messaging each other just lowers the value of the site for the rest of us.

If you wish to do dozens of such posts go ahead, but please don't hijack the current thread. Start your own thread and do it there. That at least gives the rest of us the ability to choose to skip over it rather than having to scroll through all this crap to find a post that's on topic.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-19, 14:46
EDive, I like your new avatar much better.:beer:

Swingo
2008-03-19, 21:51
Mark - Little Pine looks like it offers a lot. I'm also in SEPA so I'll have to check it out.

FireFighter56
2008-03-20, 03:06
me i just love to chill and listen to the wild......watch the fire and be one with nature......being the dog is with me and my trusty 9mm...im always feeling safe :P

Tipi Walter
2008-03-20, 10:13
me i just love to chill and listen to the wild......watch the fire and be one with nature......being the dog is with me and my trusty 9mm...im always feeling safe :P

This reminds me of a backpacking trip into the Pisgah forest when Johnny B, Ra Woman and I went in with a full complement of weaponery. We brought in a 30-30 rifle and a shotgun with rifled slugs and a working radio which we set up across camp. Ra Woman's idea was to wait for a particularly irritating commercial and then blow away the radio with the rifled slug. I was not bored during this trip.

enviro
2008-03-20, 10:44
This reminds me of a backpacking trip into the Pisgah forest when Johnny B, Ra Woman and I went in with a full complement of weaponery. We brought in a 30-30 rifle and a shotgun with rifled slugs and a working radio which we set up across camp. Ra Woman's idea was to wait for a particularly irritating commercial and then blow away the radio with the rifled slug. I was not bored during this trip.

Too bad you couldn't taken in a TV. That would have been much more satisfying to me than blowing away a radio.

Tin Man
2008-03-20, 16:17
Too bad you couldn't taken in a TV. That would have been much more satisfying to me than blowing away a radio.

That might have left a bigger trace than the radio.

Tipi Walter
2008-03-20, 23:13
I just thought of another way to have a non-boring camping trip(but it only works for those in the courtship mode): Take along a "Date". As Ed Abbey said, "Hope springs eternal in the male gonad".

dropkick
2008-03-21, 00:08
I thought that was "The male gonad springs eternally in hope"

Take-a-knee
2008-03-22, 00:33
It can be boring in the winter (short days) if there is a fire ban, especially if you are alone. In the army we called a campfire "Ranger TV", cause that was about the closet thing a ranger ever sees that would be construed as entertainment, and not very often at that.

Iceman
2008-03-22, 11:08
Hi all, its been a while. Amigi, thanks for the vote of confidence!

Regarding this topic, if you find yourself bored at night at camp, don't go. I find that I am usually so excited to get out, that I have lots to do, even tired. Let's see...you could:

Dump out your gear and go thru it all.
Make a fire.
Mix an everclear slushy.
Clean your handgun.
Make a fire.
Get your kitchen in order for Breakfast time.
Kill something.
Make a fire.
Tend to your wounds from the days hike.
Get drunk, put your headlamp on and trip around the hillside looking for shed antlers.
Review your map.
Shoot at stuff. ( I am convinced I would not do well on your AT)
etc...etc...etc...

Are you freaking kidding me? Bored at camp at night? I am like a kid in a candy store!

oops56
2008-03-22, 11:25
Yep you could run around naked who's going to see you right.

Iceman
2008-03-22, 12:25
Oops!!! Long time no see!

Hey, if you saw me running around naked you would turn the other way! The only time I have been known to run around naked is when my truck alarm sounded in my front yard, I came out in the buff with my .357 leading the way, oh yeah, and (on another occasion) when I drank enough everclear to float a boat in...

Swingo
2008-03-22, 12:33
Dump out your gear and go thru it all.
Make a fire.
Mix an everclear slushy.
Clean your handgun.
Make a fire.
Get your kitchen in order for Breakfast time.
Kill something.
Make a fire.
Tend to your wounds from the days hike.
Get drunk, put your headlamp on and trip around the hillside looking for shed antlers.
Review your map.
Shoot at stuff. ( I am convinced I would not do well on your AT)
etc...etc...etc...

Well that settles it. Camping is definetly not boring. We can close up this thread to any new responses.

enviro
2008-03-23, 12:56
Oops!!! Long time no see!

Hey, if you saw me running around naked you would turn the other way! The only time I have been known to run around naked is when my truck alarm sounded in my front yard, I came out in the buff with my .357 leading the way, oh yeah, and that time I drank enough everclear to float a boat in...

You can bet that if I'm on the trail and see someone running around naked with a .357...yup I'm headed the other way...and very quietly.

FireFighter56
2008-03-24, 00:37
******** DS lite lol...the new mario bros......like crack...and holds a charge for a got 15 hours :P

FireFighter56
2008-03-24, 00:38
good even....err....i can't type....bin up since 3am...

Iceman
2008-03-24, 09:51
...Well that settles it. Camping is definetly not boring. We can close up this thread to any new responses.

Swingo, everyone is their own person, and you just need to incorporate some stuff you would like to do in your camp at night. I am not suggesting that you mimic my camp. Bring along stuff you like to do at home...whatever that may be....

Enviro, sorry for the ugly image. I have yet to run around in the woods naked. Just my front yard! :biggrin: (Went back and fixed the way the statement read...)

enviro
2008-03-24, 12:39
Enviro, sorry for the ugly image. I have yet to run around in the woods naked. Just my front yard! :biggrin: (Went back and fixed the way the statement read...)

LOL no problem.

It is actually a pretty funny visual if you throw a fire in the background. Kind of a middle aged Lord of the Flies sort of thing.

ki0eh
2008-03-25, 13:40
Mark - Little Pine looks like it offers a lot. I'm also in SEPA so I'll have to check it out.

Great jumping off point for the Mid State http://www.hike-mst.org aka Great Eastern http://www.greateasterntrail.org Trail.
________
PLYMOUTH FURY HISTORY (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Plymouth_Fury)

FireFighter56
2008-03-26, 00:57
swingo where at in SEPA are u....i'm in schuylkill county

Swingo
2008-03-28, 20:16
Montgomery

CaSteve
2008-03-29, 01:36
Back to the original question: I cook/fish/stargaze.

Nearly Normal
2008-03-29, 22:12
Is camping boring?
Alone it can be.
But the hiking, in an interesting place makes up for it.

dropkick
2008-03-30, 01:39
Was just thinking....

If you get bored at night while hiking...

Leave your gear (and any lights) at camp and walk in a random direction into the woods. Keep walking until you can't see any identifying features.
Now close your eyes and spin around in circles until you fall down.

I guarantee that the adrenal rush you get when you can't find your camp will help alleviate any boredom.

Bonus points if you leave all your warm clothes at camp and fall into a stream while lost.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-30, 01:49
Camping alone is delicious. to be the only person at a campsite in Maine is such a liberating feeling.

enviro
2008-03-31, 11:39
Was just thinking....

If you get bored at night while hiking...

Leave your gear (and any lights) at camp and walk in a random direction into the woods. Keep walking until you can't see any identifying features.
Now close your eyes and spin around in circles until you fall down.

I guarantee that the adrenal rush you get when you can't find your camp will help alleviate any boredom.

Bonus points if you leave all your warm clothes at camp and fall into a stream while lost.

It also adds to the fun, in the summer, to remember that Rattlesnakes are more active at night.

Swingo
2008-03-31, 18:43
Um ... yeah ... I'll add that to the "maybe" list.