PDA

View Full Version : new idea?

JRiker
2008-03-17, 15:13
happened to notice the other day that a louffa (that poof ball thing used for showering that makes a nice lather) is just a long tubular netting balled up and held together with a string. seems like it would be a nice cheap source of netting, as well as a way to have a dual use item. i think i'll unstring mine and use half of it for netting and use the other half for a smaller louffa while camping. just a thought, maybe i'll just use the whole thing for netting.

Rifleman
2008-03-17, 23:30
Is it fine enough (the mesh) to stop no see-ums?
R.

dropkick
2008-03-18, 00:59
Just a nit picking note:

A looffa (or luffa) is actually a bath sponge made from a gourd
Link to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luffa)

As far as I can figure out what your talking about is called a nylon bath scrub
nylon bath scrub linkl (http://www.southsun.com.tw/english/bath_e.shtml)

Also thought I'd tell you that you can buy netting at most fabric store for cheap (less than .50 a yard at Walmart). You just have to make sure its strong enough for what you want it for, some of it tears like a rotten sheet.

-On the other hand the netting you buy isn't in a tube form. Which could be handy for quite a few things.

JRiker
2008-03-21, 17:00
names and names. i thought that's what it was called but as long as people know what i'm talking about i don't care.

the mesh isn't fine enough for no-seeums.

i actually buy netting at a fabric store, along with other stuff that i can't sew worth a damn. i just thought it was cool that it was in a net. maybe an imprompty fish net if necessary.

dropkick
2008-03-22, 02:08
To paraphrase Shakespear: A fresh cow pie by any other name feels the same when your barefoot in the dark.

I was thinking maybe you could make small gear bags out of it, just tie off the ends.

The only way I've ever had any real luck sewing the stuff is when I cover the seam with bias tape, or cloth. Wonder if you could heat seal it?

JRiker
2008-03-22, 10:27
looking back:

should have said tube vice net, i'm excited that it's in a tube shape.

also, impromptu, not imprompty.

i have a heat sealer at work, i'll have to try that out

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-22, 11:13
The stuff you guys are discussing is call Tulle and it comes with the holes in various sizes and is made from silk, cotton, polyester or nylon. Some tulle has holes small enough to stop a no-u-see-um. This is not a strong fabric and I would strongly recommend using no-u-see-um bugnet instead.

If you guys want a cheap, lightweight small stuff bag, may I suggest using ladies knee-high pant hose? They can be had in a multitude of colors at 3 pair (6 hose) for a dollar at the Dollar Store or WalMart. While not all that durable, they work well for keeping small items from getting lost - and they make a dandy sock liner or over sock if you get a blister.

BEAMarshall
2008-03-24, 06:14
I find that the small bags that onions come from the store in work pretty well also- just need a drawsting and cordlock added.
betsy

Iceman
2008-03-24, 09:02
Multi purpose Gallon Ziploc bags. When you squeeze the air out, they stay small. Can be later used to hold wet or icky stuff and keep your other gear clean..., can carry water in them if needed, can cook in them...

dropkick
2008-03-25, 00:41
Dinos' suggestion is multipurpose too:

You can have a lot of fun with your hiking partner by pulling one of the stockings over your head, and waking them in the middle of the night by rushing at them while making loud grunting noises.

Note: You might want to hide their .357 first.