PDA

View Full Version : Who's getting ready to hike? Where?

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-20, 16:34
The Dino will be in VA next Monday, but the exacting hiking venue hasn't been decided.

vonfrick
2008-03-20, 16:43
3 day weekend. :biggrin: anywhere but here. probably new hampshire.

Tin Man
2008-03-20, 16:46
April 12 - 10 miles of AT in NY leading a band of boy scouts - beware!

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-20, 16:46
3 day weekend. :biggrin: anywhere but here. probably new hampshire.Are you using 11th grade Sherpas :D?

warraghiyagey
2008-03-20, 16:47
SOBO June 1.

Lone Wolf
2008-03-20, 16:49
i'm fixin' to hike over to dot's here shortly

warraghiyagey
2008-03-20, 16:50

Now that sounds like a cool hike. I'm lookin forward to that in late Sept.

enviro
2008-03-20, 16:50

Will you be using trekking poles?

Lone Wolf
2008-03-20, 16:52

never.....

Tin Man
2008-03-20, 16:53

Heck no, probably carrying though.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-20, 16:53
Is there a shelter at dots?

enviro
2008-03-20, 16:59
LW be sure and filter that beer

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-20, 17:02
Can my dog sleep at Dot's?

Flush2wice
2008-03-20, 17:15
March 28-30, Davenport to Hot Springs.

Keep us updated on your Trail Journals page.

Lone Wolf
2008-03-20, 17:17
March 28-30, Davenport to Hot Springs.

Keep us updated on your Trail Journals page.

real hikers don't do trail journals

Flush2wice
2008-03-20, 17:19

Well, then be sure to shoot plenty of pics on your camera phone.

Tin Man
2008-03-20, 17:19

Rock is not a real hiker? :hmmmm:

GGS2
2008-03-20, 17:32
According to L. Wolf, real hikers don't seem to do a whole heck of a lot. Maybe hike once or twice. Or maybe just hick.

Tin Man
2008-03-20, 17:34
According to L. Wolf, real hikers don't seem to do a whole heck of a lot. Maybe hike once or twice. Or maybe just hick.

They hick to Dot's and White Blaze about it.

Bear
2008-03-20, 18:27
SOBO June 6th but will be hitting Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas a few times between now and then for some training. Will catch up to Warrag and tie his fingers together so he can't type so much.:aetsch:

vonfrick
2008-03-20, 18:35
Are you using 11th grade Sherpas :D?

nah, this year i'm breaking in the 12th grade AP sherpas, theyre gluttons for punishment.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-20, 18:49
You're wiggling the improved GPA carrot in front of those hapless youngsters, aren't you? :D

vonfrick
2008-03-20, 18:57
You're wiggling the improved GPA carrot in front of those hapless youngsters, aren't you? :D

nah theyre already all accepted into schools :biggrin: , i appeal mainly to their overachiever neuroses

JAK
2008-03-20, 19:23
I'm wavering on doing a hike of the Fungi Footpath over Easter.
I would have to take some work with me, which is always fun in the rain.

I would miss out on some Easter celebrations, but net net I think I would get just as much work done as staying home, and there are enough people involved in the celebrations that I wouldn't be missed, and I would probably come back less grumpy, always a good selling point with she who must be obeyed.

Hmmm. Weather looks good for March.
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/nb-23_metric_e.html

dropkick
2008-03-21, 00:03
I have a 10 mile loop in the Bitterroots that I like to do in the spring just to get my blood started pumping.
However I'm still waiting for the snow pack to go down a bit before I go.

-Also did the splits on some ice a few weeks ago, and I'm waiting for my knee to feel better.

Bear
2008-03-21, 00:56
Dropkick didn't you do the same thing last year or something similar where you busted your butt on the ice?

dropkick
2008-03-22, 02:56
Yes, but I think that time was in wet clay.
I'm often vertically challenged.

Bear
2008-03-22, 05:35
Were you chewing gum at the time? :laugh:

Just kidding. Hope you feel better soon.:stickyman

Flush2wice
2008-03-22, 10:29
Leaving for Beauty Spot right now. Walking down to Erwin.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-22, 15:36
Looks like the Dinos will be hiking NOBO from Elk Garden to VA 603 (near Damascus) from Tuesday to Thursday. I know this doesn't seem like a long way, but He-Dino is convinced She-Dino can't handle more.

For Sale: Used He-Dino - High mileage. Well-care for - has all its shots and most of its teeth. Most parts work though some a are a bit sluggish at times :D

FireFighter56
2008-03-23, 23:41
i'm goin to do a 15 mile hike sometime in april....indian-run valley into echo valley....it's local ....not really a trail....but a nice hike and it's quiet...lol

warraghiyagey
2008-03-24, 00:21
Sending you sealed offer for He-Dino.
Will be well cared for and looked to for hiking and wisdom of life.

:biggrin:

Iceman
2008-03-24, 10:07
Like the original hikers, I am planning two weekends of hiking, in search of food.

My son on weekend one, my daughter on weekend two, both trips in search of Merriam Turkey. My son's first year where he will pull the trigger. Both have hiked with me as we have hunted many times. Tent camping, up predawn to hike up the mountain, hunt all day, mid day nap, hunt till dark, and return to the tent to do it all again the next day. This has been a very exhausting trip in the past.

South central Washington State, north of the columbia river.

Tipi Walter
2008-03-24, 11:45
Let's see, my next hike . . . hmm . . .

I'm always planning my next hike and it usually comes a couple of weeks after my last hike. The only reason I come back anyway is to placate the retards I MEAN THE RELATES and tend to family matters. I live in an area surrounded by wilderness and backpacking trails, the BMT goes right thru here and so where will my next trip be? The usual Citico/Slickrock/Bald River areas.

KLeth
2008-03-24, 12:10
We are getting ready for 14 days of day-hikes in northern Sweden, the two first weeks of July. Our son will turn 1 year while we are there, so the day-hikes will not be that challenging since we must adapt his day-rythm, but he will come along in the child-carrier we have bought for me to carry him in.
Our base will be the hut we have rented at the tourist-station. The hut is also near to supermarkets, so we do not need to bring 14 days worth of diapers along.

Have not been to the mountains for almost two years now :afraid: Looking forward to some family time in the arctics :biggrin:
Guess I will get time for outdoor cooking or reading while junior sleeps in his cot.

Iceman
2008-03-25, 00:56
Kleth! 14 days of Diapers!!!??? Boy I dont miss those days! :bootyshak

:biggrin:

enviro
2008-03-25, 00:58
Thing is Iceman that we eventually head back into those days. The diapers are just much larger and you wear them not the baby.

Iceman
2008-03-25, 01:47
I totally agree with you!

This is one of the axioms of life....that we all come into...and leave this world, sucking on a bottle of formula and wearing a diaper...

Instead, I hope to die early enough to avoid this.

Formula=Ensure
Pampers=Depends

enviro
2008-03-25, 01:48
I agree. It seems that the elderly should at the very least be able to die with some dignity.

FireFighter56
2008-03-27, 02:20
or die hiking lol.....at least there happy

enviro
2008-03-27, 02:38
Yup...if they find my body on an overlook somewhere it's all good.

Tipi Walter
2008-03-27, 09:10
Yup...if they find my body on an overlook somewhere it's all good.

This is one big reason for the cold, it's Momma Nature's winter hospice, allowing the old folks to stumble out into some snowbank for the final sleep.

ki0eh
2008-03-27, 09:51
Scheduling isn't too good this spring, probably can't get out on another overnighter until May and weekends are kind of clogged up too. We will have a couple of day hikes on relatively new sections of the Mid State/Great Eastern Trail for the spring Keystone Trails Association meeting in Wellsboro, Pa. and have a couple of kids' hikes on the quarterly schedule nominally led by my 5yo daughter and her 4.5yo buddy. In between there need to get out on new section scouting before leaf-on and spring trail maintenance too.
________
Big Dick Italian (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/262/italian/videos/1)

enviro
2008-03-28, 02:30
I'm heading out tomorrow to Joyce Kilmer for a weekend. Going to meet Tipi Walter on Bob bald. Great place.

Frolicking Dino
2008-03-28, 05:29
Looks like the Dinos will be hiking NOBO from Elk Garden to VA 603 (near Damascus) from Tuesday to Thursday. I know this doesn't seem like a long way, but He-Dino is convinced She-Dino can't handle more.

For Sale: Used He-Dino - High mileage. Well-care for - has all its shots and most of its teeth. Most parts work though some a are a bit sluggish at times :DFirst, I've decided to keep the He-Dino... sorry Warraghy, but I'm fairly sure he isn't the Dino for you. He lacks grommets in places you might find handy. :D

Our first day went mostly as planned except we nixed a trip to the spooky old house about a mile SOBO from where we dropped Rock off on the AT (VA Highway 42 near Newport) to go back to a restaurant where we had stopped earlier in the day and retrieve Rock's ball cap. We added a half-mile hike out to the Keffer Oak with Rock and the return. We then hiked two miles to Cascade Falls. The hike was just too much for the she-dino's bad leg after being in the car for nearly six hours... she bailed after one mile and He-Dino (a waterfall lover) when on while she waited. We returned together. Then we drove down to Dismal Falls (near a roadway) and finally on to Abingdon, VA to spend the night.

The best laid plans of mice and men.... the clutch went out on our shuttler's truck and he wasn't comfortable with just keeping our SUV during the trip as his own shuttle (obviously our shuttler is someone we know and trust). So we did a 12 mile loop from Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park - up Rhododendron Gap trail to the AT SOBO to about a mile past Wise shelter. The original idea was to pick up Wilson Creek trail to a horse trail and back to the SUV. However, Wilson Creek trail was in horrible shape (overgrown with laurel and extremely muddy / rocky) and not blazed well. We decided to backtrack to the AT spur and Massie Gap from there. When we reached the longterm parking lot (about a mile from Massie Gap) the she-dino nearly had serious hotspots and mild abrasions on both big toes. He-Dino hiked the last mile to the car and picked up the she-dino rather than risk the hot spots turning into full blown blisters. We ended the day with a drive back to Damascus for dinner at Sicily's Italian restaurant and then on to Abingdon to sleep.

The next day we drove to Damascus to return maps we had borrowed from Lone Wolf and to visit with him and Gypsy. We then drove down to Shady Valley, TN and parked at Low Gap off TN Highway 421. We had plan to backpack to a campsite with water about 1.3 miles (such a short trip because He-Dino's tummy was not feeling well when we began). We were using the new Appalachian Pages as a guide and did not have maps of the region with us as our original hiking plans did not include this area. The guide failed to say the campsite was off the AT and across a farmer's field so we did not find it. Since He-Dino was feeling better, we decided to go on to Double Spring shelter (3.5 miles). This involved a lot of climbing - some of it short, steep and rocky - and some descending under various conditions - a good test of the She-Dino's ability to carry a pack in varying terrain.

Once at Double Spring (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/DoubleSpringsShelterforweb.jpg), we found a campsite nearby. All went well until sleepy time came (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=24885#post24885). We got a late start the following day, but were still out by 3 PM. We returned home - sunburned, smelly and content. Remarkably, She-Dino isn't horribly sore and He-Dino is convinced She-Dino can backpack. ::: Que the Hallelujah Chorus :::

Now if I can just survive Chucky Cheese and the great-grandkids today.... :D

Pappyhighlife
2008-03-28, 11:36
Heading down to the Chattahoocee River 15 miles of trail trying to find the Ellicott rock where the surveyor carved his name and date in a boulder in the stream about 100 years ago. 3 nights and four days in April slow relaxed hike lots of waterfalls to see. They filmed the Deliverence movie on this river and its always a good hike. Borders GA SC and NC...neat place for a solo hike

Macclint
2008-04-09, 01:28
I went to this place last year.
http://www.wanderingones.com/gallery/DouglasCanyon.html

Since there's still so much snow in the Mountains, I'm probably going to go there again for now in the next few weeks. (It's desert-y country)

Clint Hollingsworth
The Wandering Ones webcomic
http://www.wanderingones.com

Nearly Normal
2008-04-09, 05:00
Heading down to the Chattahoocee River 15 miles of trail trying to find the Ellicott rock where the surveyor carved his name and date in a boulder in the stream about 100 years ago. 3 nights and four days in April slow relaxed hike lots of waterfalls to see. They filmed the Deliverence movie on this river and its always a good hike. Borders GA SC and NC...neat place for a solo hike

Great hike, wrong river.
I've hiked the Chattooga River section many times. It's a very thrilling place when the waters up.
There are actually two surveys. One is Ellicott's Rock and the other Commissioners rock.
You have to wade and search for each. A hiker in the area named Jakebreak marked Ellicott's rock with a sign a couple of years ago but bozos keep moving the sign. It was back in place last April.
A great hike for the river is to hike in on the Fork Mountain spur trail. It will strike the river a mile or two above Ellicotts. It's about 7 miles through the Ellicott Wilderness and crosses in and out of NC.
A good first day camp would be where Bad Creek empties into the Chattooga.
That's far enough from Burrell's Ford Road to avoid people and find firewood.
Continue on the next day to Simm's Field to camp. It's just about a mile after you come down from Roundtop Mountain.
On the third day you will leave the river after Simm's for a couple of miles until Nicholson's Ford where you can get out or continue on the Chattooga River trail till Highway 28 bridge.
This is some of the finest backpacking in the south.
The guide and map are sold at Oconee State Park.
All together this hike includes the Fork Mountain Spur, Foothills Trail, Chattooga River Trail, and Bartram Trail.
5 Stars rated easy to moderate.

enviro
2008-04-09, 11:30
Great hike, wrong river.
I've hiked the Chattooga River section many times. It's a very thrilling place when the waters up.
There are actually two surveys. One is Ellicott's Rock and the other Commissioners rock.
You have to wade and search for each. A hiker in the area named Jakebreak marked Ellicott's rock with a sign a couple of years ago but bozos keep moving the sign. It was back in place last April.
A great hike for the river is to hike in on the Fork Mountain spur trail. It will strike the river a mile or two above Ellicotts. It's about 7 miles through the Ellicott Wilderness and crosses in and out of NC.
A good first day camp would be where Bad Creek empties into the Chattooga.
That's far enough from Burrell's Ford Road to avoid people and find firewood.
Continue on the next day to Simm's Field to camp. It's just about a mile after you come down from Roundtop Mountain.
On the third day you will leave the river after Simm's for a couple of miles until Nicholson's Ford where you can get out or continue on the Chattooga River trail till Highway 28 bridge.
This is some of the finest backpacking in the south.
The guide and map are sold at Oconee State Park.
All together this hike includes the Fork Mountain Spur, Foothills Trail, Chattooga River Trail, and Bartram Trail.
5 Stars rated easy to moderate.

Sounds like a nice trail. Where is it located? Near what town? What state is Oconee SP in?

Nearly Normal
2008-04-10, 05:46
Oconee County South Carolina.
The Foothills Trail is 76 miles from Table Rock State Park to Oconee State Park. Oconee SP is on highway 107. The closest town would be Walhalla SC.
With the spur trails it is over 100 miles. It includes the highest waterfall east of the Mississippi. There are many waterfalls along the trail and in the area.
The Chattooga River gorge is a protected corrider. It is a whitewater river that includes up to class five rapids. I only know of two bridges that span it. No auto traffic is allowed within 1/4 mile of the corrider except for the bridges. No camping allowed within 1/4 mile of access roads.
It lies in the heart of the largest wilderness/national forest(s) area in the South.
There are a couple of short sections where camping is prohibited.
The trail has no shelters and is primitive camping only. Legal sites must be 50 ft from the trail and/or river. There are many "hardened" sites along the trail and the guide list some of them.
Google "Foothills Trail" for the FTC site. Shuttles are available there.
Ellicott Rock is the boundary where NC, SC, and GA tri-corner in the river.
The river allows no boat or raft traffic until you are down river of Highway 28 bridge. It is protected for foot traffic and anglers only. Great cold water trout fishing. The trail is moderate to easy with a few strenuous sections.
Considered a rain forest with 80-90 inches of rain anually.
The river sections are my favorite.

beas
2008-04-10, 09:53
Heading out this Mon, God willing. Will be doing the first 107 mi. to Winding Stair Gap. This starts mine and a friends section hikes. We will try to do one section a year for the next nine years. This will get us to retirement. At that point we will get on the trail and finish the thing.
Let me also tell you about the folks from Hikehostel, haven't seen them yet but they have already been lots of help and look forward to meeting them. Secondly everyone's favorite Ron Haven will be picking us up and driving us back to Atlanta.

Can't wait to get started
BEAS

rigidpsycho
2008-04-10, 14:59
will be going to Mammoth Cave next weekend with some guys from Hammock forums. will be hitting the collie ridge Backcountry site from the Lincoln trailhead, can't wait this will my first time in many many many years.

Frolicking Dino
2008-04-10, 15:24
The Dinos have been hiking with Papaw Dino - She-Dino's 85 yo father. We hiked to Savage Falls in the Savage Gulf, TN area on Monday and through the Shirley Miller Wildflower Park (a short boardwalk) and on to its waterfall on Tuesday.

To say Dad was excited about this would be an understatement - he had his backpack packed up on Sunday. It had to weigh about 25 lbs... included such items as Ensure and enough food to feed us all for days. We talked him into a fanny pack with water and trail mix (He-Dino carried the ten essentials).

As you can see below, Papaw-Dino has been bitten by the hiking bug.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/PapawDinoatSavageGulf4-7-08forweb.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/ClaudeGlennReneeGlennSwicegoodSavag.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/P1010086aforweb.jpg

warraghiyagey
2008-04-10, 15:48
Great pics Dino. Really good stuff girl.

Frolicking Dino
2008-04-19, 15:22
Dino has been hiking around the hospital to see this tiny individual (new great-grandson):
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Cody-age35minutes4-18-08-forweb.jpg

dixicritter
2008-04-20, 09:22
Awwww what a cutey pie! Thanks for sharing!!

FireFighter56
2008-04-21, 01:55
awww...can't wait for my first born to pop put and drive me nuts lol........my feet are telling me to hit the trail

Geo.
2008-04-23, 02:34
Got a short duration hike coming up in Fiordland Nat Park (South Island NZ) next month, but am off to the UK beginning of Sept to do a west east thru along their "coast to coast" trail. Passes through a lumpy area called the Lake District which I believe is worth looking at. Looking forward to that - not the long flight.

Kea
2008-04-24, 11:59
Mostly dayhiking some favorite local haunts in prep for something more adventurous like the Signal Knob loop or Woodstock Tower to Elizabeth Furnace on the Massanutten.

Redleg
2008-04-24, 22:15
It has SNOWED here in eastern Oregon, each and every morning in April.
The weather has put a damper on my planed early season.
jaf

dixicritter
2008-04-24, 23:14
It has SNOWED here in eastern Oregon, each and every morning in April.
The weather has put a damper on my planed early season.
jaf

Sorry to hear that... but I had to laugh at the subject line of your post!

Frolicking Dino
2008-04-26, 22:11
The Dinos did a short, but steep (1062 ft in 1.5 miles :afraid:) hike up Cold Spring Knob in the Slickrock wilderness and met this winsome young lass
http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/3268/tj3268%5F042608%5F173253%5F314823.jpg

nuzzget
2008-04-26, 23:44
Im gonna have to do this one day.

Bearpaw
2008-04-27, 14:37
You know, we COULD be hiking in the next couple of weekends, but NO! Sleeps With Skunks and I have to go an get married during that time. What a bunch of hooey......:banghead:

At least we'll be set to hike this summer. I hope to thru-hike the Bartram Trail and finish the Foothills Trail before our honeymoon cruise to Mexico in Mid-June. SWS is going to hike the southern portion of the AT in the Smokies during that same time.

Then I intend to finish the northern 200 miles of the BMT and SWS and I will hike Clingman's Dome to Davenport Gap sometime afterward.

If the heat and bugs aren't too bad, we'll probably crank out a couple of short trips as well. Time will tell.

FireFighter56
2008-05-01, 03:46
i'm tryin to get my hiking friend to do a hike this year...he is in school o it's hard.....i can do one if i want ust don't lke to hike alone ..... :P
he just alled me 2 nights ago asking if i had off at all...but as u know i don't :(

i hope this summer sometime i will get out

enviro
2008-05-02, 12:08
You know, we COULD be hiking in the next couple of weekends, but NO! Sleeps With Skunks and I have to go an get married during that time. What a bunch of hooey......:banghead:

At least we'll be set to hike this summer. I hope to thru-hike the Bartram Trail and finish the Foothills Trail before our honeymoon cruise to Mexico in Mid-June. SWS is going to hike the southern portion of the AT in the Smokies during that same time.

Then I intend to finish the northern 200 miles of the BMT and SWS and I will hike Clingman's Dome to Davenport Gap sometime afterward.

If the heat and bugs aren't too bad, we'll probably crank out a couple of short trips as well. Time will tell.

Yeah, maybe I'll share your thoughts on the hooey event with SWS...LOL

Naw, just kidding, cause I know you probably already have.

eyewall
2008-05-02, 20:57
Hopefully beginning an AT section at the southern end next weekend up to Newfound Gap at least. Hanging all the way! That is if I survive the 24 hour bus ride :)

Frolicking Dino
2008-05-03, 02:21
You know, we COULD be hiking in the next couple of weekends, but NO! Sleeps With Skunks and I have to go an get married during that time. What a bunch of hooey......Congrats to you both - may you have many happy years together.

clodbuster
2008-05-05, 17:29
Does the two block walk to my local pub count?