PDA

View Full Version : Mountian House

FireFighter56
2008-03-25, 02:49
anyone try mountian house food.....i tried it today and love it....taste great not bad for freeze dried food...

enviro
2008-03-25, 11:18
I've had some recently. It's not bad and very convenient. Just a bit expensive to eat all of the time.

Marvin
2008-03-25, 13:03
I have eaten many Mountian House and BackPackers Pantry. All have been pretty tasty in my opinion. However as was posted can be expensive. Have seen some good deals on ebay to purchase in bulk.

Pappyhighlife
2008-03-25, 15:12
Yep Mountain House is premo for most meals,but if the salesman tries to sell you the egg's run don't walk away. OMG they suck. The deserts are really good too.

enviro
2008-03-25, 15:16
IMO there is nothing that you can do to make powdered eggs good.

I agree Pappy, the deserts are very good.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-25, 17:07
I have eaten many Mountian House and BackPackers Pantry. All have been pretty tasty in my opinion. However as was posted can be expensive. .

When it comes to 'Trail Budget,' size does matter.
:beer:

woodsy
2008-03-25, 19:01
Backpacker pantry meals at wally world and Dick's sporting goods in the 3-4 dollar range.

FireFighter56
2008-03-26, 00:32
they are expensive but i like them better than MRE's ....thank goodness i didn't get the eggs thanks for the info...i was looking at them but i was never a big fan of powded eggs.....the chilli mac was good i have a few more i got but i'm saving them for my april hike....doin a local area not for from my house 15 miles ...than in june i wanna do Pinchot Trail .....

warraghiyagey
2008-03-26, 01:02
My Mountain House is spelled R-A-M-E-N

FireFighter56
2008-03-26, 01:08
lol i also carry ramen too for lunch or breakfast ....than and chicken flavored bouillon cubes....for those cold nights...the mountian house is my dinner :P
i think to morrow i will try out my lemon-aid bowl i made see how it works and to see how long it takes ramen noddles to rehydrate...also picked up a light my fire spork...so i'll ues that also lol

Pappyhighlife
2008-03-31, 13:18
The mountain house web site says they make them last 7 years, use to only be 5 years. Wonder how they do that just add a couple of years. Hey if I start to glow I'll let you guys know.

Jim Henderson
2008-03-31, 14:32
Been eating Mountainhouse since the 70s. Almost always the taste is satisfying. They are usually the more expensive option. Also like Richmoore. I think Richmoore has more 4 person entrees so that is good if you have guests.

I wonder if Mountianhouse still has those compressed freeze dried foods. Those were the usual meals compressed down to hockey puck size to save space. They were usually harder to get to reconstitute to a nice mouth feel but tasted OK.

Over the years I have noticed the entrees have gotten more pasta and rice. In the 70s, they usually had more meat and bigger chunks. I used to love the big shrimps in some dishes.

I think REI also sells Backpaker Pantry but of course REI is not cheap. But at the end of the season they usually have a good sale on freeze dried foods, often at half off.

Just my opinion,

Jim Henderson

Rosaleen
2008-03-31, 20:31
I have made a lot of my own concoctions, and been pretty happy, but, as another poster mentioned, some deals appear from time-to-time on eBay. Sportsmans Guide had a deal, as well, around Christmas. I found enough things I wanted to make the $30 year's membership in the Buyer's Club worthwhile. With that, I had an extra 20% off on that first order and a deal on shipping. Suddenly, the Mountain House #10 cans became very attractive, with "10-serving" cans coming in under $20. Now, who doesn't want more that a 1-cup serving at dinner, especially hiking? The weekend before last I portioned out several cans into washed and dried mylar snack bags, adding TVP and extra dehydrated veggies for more bulk. I'm also hoping to spread out the salt, as I do find (and read) the meals are high in sodium. Anyway, I have about a month's worth of meals in baggies in my freezer. Based on having done this with an eBay buy, I think I will have some decent trail meals ahead this summer.

Rosaleen

Pappyhighlife
2008-04-01, 12:42
Rosaleen great idea like Jim said earlier most of the store bought food is rice or pasta.
Sometime back I was browsing Brother Turk’s web site and he has a link for Freezer Bag Cooking. www.freezerbagcooking.com

I started looking into this type dinning and found I can cut my food pack weight by almost half. I kinda upset my wife the last few months because I’m dehydrating everything experimenting with new recipes. Last Sunday I poured a cup of hot water into my S.O.S. extra beef concoction (Chipped Beef) poured it over a cut up bagel and had a feast eating with just my spoon disposed of the empty bag and read the paper. Mrs. Pappy was happy no cooking or dishes.

I’m eating more packed chicken, tuna and ham that I can now find in most stores and this other site called www.minimus.biz has all kinds of condiments like 1 ounce olive oil packets vinegar and relish. So I went kinda nuts on that site needless to say. I have made enough meals already to keep me and the grand boys well fed while camping fishing and hiking until mid July. Plus we all agree eating our own food is safer than store bought not to mention a whole lot tastier and the food bags are so small and light.

But I have always wanted to try the Mountain House cans but was worried about the bulk cans too much chow. But your idea of making pack bags is great there is no waste and you’re rotating the food in a timely manner. Stellar idea.

lucky luke
2008-04-01, 15:46
hi,

www.rawfamily.com

you know those guys? THEY HAVE GOOD FOOD! always fresh and tasty, and donŽt tell me its no good for hiking. if it gets you from mex to can it cannot be soo bad. a very nice way to go lite! no pot, no fuel, very little food to haul along. everyone hauling 7 or more days of food knows the problem of the weight.

forget the freezedried stuff. when i ate it, i was hungry all day long, could eat 2 to 3 packs of the mtn hs. 5 packs of ramen for breakfast just to get me through the day on 2 more snickers.

definitely more energy in freshly cooked stuff, and with powdered sauces you can have rice and noodles that taste really good. btw, there are 25 or more different kinds of sauces (just add water and boil) available in the supermarkets in europe. i missed that a lot in the usa.

tastewise the freezedried stuff has come a long way since the first time i tried it in 1980. still iŽld rather spend the money i need for a weeks supply in mtn hs on cheaper food, work a little more myself to prepare it, and go hiking longer.

happy trails
lucky luke

Rosaleen
2008-04-01, 18:05
Hi, Luke-

We all do what works for us. I have been the chief cook and bottle washer in my own home for going on 38 years. Before I married, I helped out in my Mom's kitchen plenty, being the oldest girl out of six kids. So, I have had quite enough KP. I CAN cook in the out-of-doors, and might do so on a car camping trip, but when I go backpacking, I do the prep at home and just boil water. Seriously. So, sauces that I can boil do not have much interest for me. I normally take a 12 fl oz aluminum can for a pot, a ti wing stove, chemical fuel pellets, ti or aluminum wind screen, Long handled ti spoon, a foil lid for my pot, and a piece of foil-wrapped carboard to set the stove on. Even with a Ziplock bowl, wrapped in windshield reflector, my whole kit weighs under 4 oz. I boil water once a day to dump on my prepared and dehydrated dinner in a little bag. Licking the spoon clean, swishing it in my simmering water once a day to sanitize it, and eating from my little foil bags works for me.

I don't usually splurge much on Mountain House, but when I found a deal on 10-serving cans that gave me meal bases for well under $2 each, I figured it was a deal. If I factor in selecting, buying, carting home, cutting, cooking, seasoning, dehydrating, and maybe adding sauces, getting some prep help looks really good. The TVP was cheap, as were the veggies that I dehydrated and added. Even with the extra goodies, I think my meals are a little under $2 each. That is hard to beat unless one uses his/her own home-grown foods. In the field for summer trips, I have been able to get by with 1/2 of an Esbit tablet to heat water for my main meal. If I have more than one hot meal per day, I may go to alcohol. That is undecided for this summer. If I keep to one hot meal per day and two cold-soaked meals, I will cut a lot of weight both in the food and in the fuel.

This works for me. My advice is to find what works for you.

Rosaleen

lucky luke
2008-04-02, 09:49
hi rosaleen,

i am familiar with ziplock-cooking. never liked it much either. i sleep little, so even after a hiking day of 12+ hrs i have time to cook. i drink lots of tea, so i usually carry all the equipment. i am not even happy with a lightweight alk stove. iŽll take them for a short trip (and then i usually cary 2 stoves), but for more than 4-5 days iŽll pack my dragonfly, 2 pots, heat-exchanger, and yes, even a bowl and spoon.

most my meals are rice and noodles with different sauces. if i find something on the trail to add i will. in fall i eat mushrooms a lot, picking them while hiking, berries are nice too. unfortunately i am not yet really good at knowing veggies.

and i must say 80% of my hiking is in very late fall or winter, so i carry a lot of food most the time. and i like it, iŽld rather skip on a shirt, since most the time i am in my sleepingbag to cook anyway.

greets
lucky luke

CaSteve
2008-04-06, 02:51
Recently I've been using Mountain House veggies (corn, green beans) as ingredients in my recipes. I like the product.

The freeze dried sweet corn kernels are very tasty as a snack