PDA

View Full Version : Favorite pocket knife

Mutinousdoug
2008-03-29, 00:06
I thought about commenting on the multi-tool thread, but a pocket knife is a different tool. I've carried a Barlow or stockman since I was in grade school; most of the time a Case XX but others as well. They do about 90% of what I need done when camping (I have others for hunting and fishing). I've slaughtered 2 elk with an old "Western" large stockman I found in my back yard, but a sheath knife is much easier to clean up after.
I'm asking about an EDC knife that cuts string, sandwiches, packages, cheese, cigar tips, splinters; you know? Something that will take at least 2 years to wear through your Wrangler's pocket but does everything from tightening your eyeglass screws to trimming insulation off romex cable in a pinch?
I also carry a little SAW one blade/ sissors/ nail-file knife but don't count that here.
Thanks

warraghiyagey
2008-03-29, 00:44
One that you can easily slam dunk in a Pizza Parlor tip jar.:angel:

Mutinousdoug
2008-03-29, 20:02
One that you can easily slam dunk in a Pizza Parlor tip jar.:angel:
Hmmmm...
I've given away 2 to the TSA guardians of freedom but none to my local pizza joint as yet. Perhaps you could explain?

Nearly Normal
2008-03-29, 21:16
I carried a pocketknife since the 3rd grade. All the boys did. I don't know whats happened to make folks so fearful of a simple pen knife.
I was stopped at the local courthouse door when paying a tax and told I couldn't enter the building with it.
Fellow at the door was wearing a bullet-proof vest and carring a real big pistol. I had to take the knife and put it in the truck.
What a joke.
I might could see a USMC kabar fighting knife but something to clean your fingernails with is a little much.
The rules are getting more foolish all the time.

GGS2
2008-03-29, 22:34
I've carried pocket knives all my life. Lately my favorite was a Swiss army with two blades, a can opener and another tool blade. It was light and useful, and I always felt naked without it. Used it all the time. Then I forgot and went to an airport, and you know the rest. I haven't been able to replace it yet, but I have a miniature version, which is good enough 90% of the time, and I also got a small one with a LED light built in. Nice, but I really want my medium sized one back.

I also have a twelve blade monster, an original leatherman, and a lock blade knife, but the little pocket knives are best multipurpose knives.

warraghiyagey
2008-03-29, 23:39
Hmmmm...
I've given away 2 to the TSA guardians of freedom but none to my local pizza joint as yet. Perhaps you could explain?

Much funnier story if you were there. This beautiful girl was fumbling through her purse to pay at the register and her swiss army knife came flying out of her purse and swished into the tip jar. We thought it was hilarious. . . at hte time.:beer:

dropkick
2008-03-30, 01:12
I carry a small pocket knife, a SOG Twitch.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/untitled.jpg
Blade Length 2"
Overall Length 4.75"
Weight 2.0 oz.
Edge Straight
Steel AUS 8
Handle Hard Anodized Aluminum
Finish Satin
(Just took these from the SOG website - easier than getting up and finding a ruler)

I'm very happy with it as it does everything I want it to do.
Also it doesn't have one of those scalloped blades - I hate those - they're for people who can't sharpen.
I carry other tools if I might need them, but I always carry this.

I've been carrying it now for about 6 or 7 years. Except for a short period of time where I lost it and replaced it with a gimmicky caribiner/knife - wasn't real good as either - glad I found the Twitch.

I've carried a pocket knife constantly since I was about 3 years old.
In my family it was considered a needed tool, and something you learned to use early in life (farming community).
I can vaguely remember wanting to borrow my brothers' knife, him not wanting to loan it to me, and my Dad giving me my first boy scout knife.

enviro
2008-03-31, 11:47
I carry a knife every day also. Mine is a small buck knife 2 or 2-1/2 blade. I use it often for all sorts of things.

For backpacking I usually carry my trusty swiss army knife. Good sharp large and small blades, several other features. I mean hey, if someone shows up with a bottle of wine and no corkscrew...then I'm the man.:rock:

FireFighter56
2008-04-02, 02:04
great post :)

i also have a Victorinox Champion Plus Knife
and a buck knife....but i'm a fan of my multi tool...but would carry either

Tumblerats
2008-04-08, 21:20
My EDC is CRKT Mini My Tighe. I love it.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z91/Tumblerats/MINIMYTIGHE_GRP_08.jpg

CaSteve
2008-04-09, 02:17
My favorite pocket knife is a Eye Brand Muskrat knife.

Seeker
2008-05-13, 23:47
i've carried one since i was 4 or 5... back in the late 60s, Camillus Knife Co used to sell their 'seconds' to organizations for use as prizes. you could buy 3 cardboard rings, about 4"-6" across (i don't remember exactly), at most church fests, fireman's field-days, or ethnic group picnics for about 50 cents. the knives were stuck in a series of 2 x 4s across the back of the stall, and if you landed a ring on a knife, it was yours. my dad won me my first knife that way. i still have it. as mentioned, it was a necessary tool. sure, i cut myself. once. after that, i took my dad's safety advice more seriously... i even carried it to school occassionally, and so did my friends...

Dad usually carried something called an 'old crafty', made by Case, i think.

Later on i bought a Barlow from my cousin (an upgrade, in that it had 2 blades, one large, one small).

Still later, i got a Swiss Army Hunter from my dad, and have since purchased a few other SAKs of various sizes (but always red!). I've also got a Gerber multi-tool (again, from Dad) but don't use it much as i could never get the blade to sharpen up well.

Bought my daughter a SAK Classic (the little bugger, with just one blade, scissors, and a nail file, along with the trademark tweezers and toothpick), in pink. she loves it. can't bring it to school though.

Hollowdweller
2008-05-14, 12:34
Mine is a German made Hubertus boyscout style knife. The big blade is spring operated.