PDA

View Full Version : Sitting home recovering

SGT Rock
2008-04-03, 11:14
In case you haven't heard, I'm off the trail with a bum ankle injury. Monday I made a little over 5 miles, Tuesday I made a little over 4 miles, and at that point I decided to get it looked at. Yesterday the doc said I have tendinitus, a sprain, and most likely stress fractures. I'm waiting on the results of the x-rays.

Chances are good my hike is done for now. I can sit around waiting to heal and get back on and burn up my hike savings, or I can get a job and start saving for a later long section hike. I'd really like to hike on but I also have to face some reality. I made a little over 800 miles and had a good time, I'd rather end on a high note.

Thanks for all the great support and thanks for making HikingHQ and nice quiet place for my wife to administer while I was gone. Updates to the journal are coming for the rest of the hike.

kmat
2008-04-03, 11:32
Hang in there Sgt and heal up properly. If you take the time to let your body heal properly you will be back out there and in great shape to truely enjoy the remainder of your journey.
kmat

Streamweaver
2008-04-03, 12:26
Hey Sarge,Sorry to hear about the injury!! And congrats on the 800 miles thats more than most people will ever make in one shot! The trails will still be there when you git back!

enviro
2008-04-03, 12:49
Good call that you made. t just doesn't make sense to risk permanent injury for a hike. That trail will always be there and it will likely seduce you back to it eventually.

I'm concerned about the BMTA. It's good that you are back. Are you thinking of seeking the open board spot?

SGT Rock
2008-04-03, 13:01
Actually I'm thinking of getting out of the BMTA and starting a whole other club LOL.

warraghiyagey
2008-04-03, 13:03
Hmmm. Interesting.

SGT Rock
2008-04-03, 13:15
I actually got the idea from one of the "Progressives". Apparently other trail maintenance clubs have died over time because of the same stuff the BMTA is doing, and other clubs spring up. A "MacKaye Trail Club" could start and go into having a parallel structure and actually encourage growth and forward movement, maybe even lengthen the trail and enter into partnership with other trail clubs to strengthen the support structure for the trail. A club that encorages all sorts of hiking styles and activities along the trail as long as they are within the usage guidlines of the FS, not the club elders.

The BMTA sort of reminds me of some dying churches I have been in or around where the old guard is so set on things being one way only, that they are eventually going to stagnate and die when the youngest of the old guard go away. My experience with the Forrest Service is they don't care what you call yourself as long as you volunteer to help.

rigidpsycho
2008-04-03, 13:23
hey Sarge hateto hear about your injuries and congrats for the 800 miles. Like everyone else said hang in there the trail will always be there waiting for your triumphant return.

flemdawg1
2008-04-03, 13:39
Welcome home soldier. Prayers for quick healing sent.

enviro
2008-04-03, 17:36
The BMTA sort of reminds me of some dying churches I have been in or around where the old guard is so set on things being one way only, that they are eventually going to stagnate and die when the youngest of the old guard go away. My experience with the Forrest Service is they don't care what you call yourself as long as you volunteer to help.

Great analogy. That is exactly what it seems to be. I am not privey to all that happened, but the fallout seems ridiculous. It almost seems that they are losing site of what's good for the trail. Keep me informed if you do decide to start a new club.

My daughter has signed to play soccer for Maryville College, starting next year, so I'll be up that way quite a few times. I'll try to work some hikes around her games and visiting.

SGT Rock
2008-04-03, 17:41
Heck yea, if you come into town let me know.

enviro
2008-04-03, 17:52
I'll do that

KD4QOY
2008-04-08, 13:07
recovery time ? possiblity of going back to the trail in a month or two ?
Anyways , 800mi is nothing to sneeze at either :adore:
Howard Allen
Pinson, AL.

JAK
2008-04-08, 13:27
Congrats on your 800mi hike Rock. Great trail journal also. Hope you get a job that allows you and your family to enjoy life as it should be, with plenty of trail time. Nice spring day up here today. Cheers.

pure_mahem
2008-04-08, 23:18
Speedy Recovery Rock! Great progress on your hike!

KLeth
2008-04-09, 04:50
Stressfractures and sprained ancle sounds bad - Best of luck and speedy recovery.

Got stress fractures in 1992 then walked further 120km the following three days - Feet never became the same again and it took 3 months before I could feel anything in my toes again. Now I have to use custom insoles when hiking, but then again custom insoles can prevent stress fractures.
My grandpa always said that you had to care for your feet like you care for your hands.

Take care of your feet, they deserve it after 800miles

Amigi
2008-04-27, 09:45
Stress fractures ended my thru attempt, if you remember. I hope you dont get the same crap I did on WB. It took 3 months for my feet to feel normal again. Good luck bro.

enviro
2008-04-28, 13:02
How's the ankle coming along?

When do you think you may be ready for some rehab hikes? I might could actually keep up with you, if you have a bad ankle.

SGT Rock
2008-04-28, 15:35
I'm not sure yet.

JAK
2008-06-29, 07:08
Rock,
Congrats again on your great hike. 800 miles and the right time of year for something like that I think. Hope your enjoying all the time with your family despite all the pressures of life and all. Kids out of school now eh. My daughter is taking some sailing lessons, so I'm into that, but we hope to get out for a hike soon also. I hope to finally finish my thesis soon and start my second career, if not teaching then some place else that might take me. Best wishes on that front. Meanwhile don't let anything stop you from enjoying each and every day. :beer: