PDA

View Full Version : What's The Deal With Gore-Tex?

Swingo
2008-04-05, 11:33
Got a new job and I find myself out in the rain a lot. I'm looking to find some rain gear or a jacket, but Gore Tex is outrageously expensive. Does anyone wear Gore tex stuff? Is it really that good, and is there anything similar but cheaper?

Lone Wolf
2008-04-05, 11:55
Frogg Toggs http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp;jsessionid=LBGMQKKMBJPINLAQBBJCCOVMCA EFGIWE?QueryText=frogg+togg&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=frogg+togg&noImage=0&rid=0180101070502&cmCat=perf&cm_ven=performics&cm_cat=Google_NonBrand&cm_pla=mencasual_rainwear_general&cm_ite=frogg%20toggs&_requestid=21591

Frolicking Dino
2008-04-05, 14:03
Second vote for Frogg Toggs for rain pants and shirts - cheaper and breathes better than Gore-Tex. Some say FT's aren't as durable,but I have had the same FT suit since 1998 and it is still going strong with probably about 5 years of normal use (I prefer a silnylon poncho in warm weather so don't use the FT's in summer and don't hike in the dead of winter)

FT's were what He-Dino ordered for the security guards in TVA's Nuke plants -- they stood up to the heavy wear these guys and gals dished out and all of them loved being out of the Gore-Tex. Can you imagine wearing Gore-Tex and a bullet-resistant vest in the summer? Guards were passing out from the heat.

sailingsoul
2008-04-05, 17:41
I have used cheap by material, not price (was@$100) for hooded foul weather jacket, in the tropics (read +80F). After 15 minutes I was completely soaked, not with rain but sweat, inside. I too would like to hear from anyone who uses rain gear that works and breathes enough. Price be dammed, NOTHING is worth it's price, no matter how acceptable, if you get wet or can't use it. L.Wolf, do you own or have used the items you linked to? Can you give specifics of use (temperature range, length of time used, comfort). Thanks. SS:captain:

Frolicking Dino
2008-04-05, 17:50
SailingSoul, I'd use a poncho in the tropics. No waterproof suit is going to be to be really comfy in those conditions. If you must have a rainsuit, look into a fabric called EVent.

Lone Wolf
2008-04-05, 19:27
I have used cheap by material, not price (was@$100) for hooded foul weather jacket, in the tropics (read +80F). After 15 minutes I was completely soaked, not with rain but sweat, inside. I too would like to hear from anyone who uses rain gear that works and breathes enough. Price be dammed, NOTHING is worth it's price, no matter how acceptable, if you get wet or can't use it. L.Wolf, do you own or have used the items you linked to? Can you give specifics of use (temperature range, length of time used, comfort). Thanks. SS:captain:

i own a set. i rode my harley one time for 50 miles in a 40 degree rain and stayed totally dry

Geo.
2008-04-07, 20:53
Got a new job and I find myself out in the rain a lot. I'm looking to find some rain gear or a jacket, but Gore Tex is outrageously expensive. Does anyone wear Gore tex stuff? Is it really that good, and is there anything similar but cheaper?

I wear a gortex jacket that I got at a half price sale. Have no problem with it and it seems to do the biz ok. Depending on the climate at the time I think you're going to get a bit of sweat at times regardless of what you're wearing anyhow. I usually wear a t shirt of a 'wicking' material under it, so I guess that all helps as well. Overall I think the old saying 'you get what you pay for' goes - though as far as boots go, I personally won't go to the expense of gortex lined boots as I think that's one part of me that'll get wet eventually no matter what the lining material. Pair of thin 'wicking' socks under a thick sock does me there.
No doubt there's alternative material out there that doesn't carry the added brand name cost, but if you can find gortex at a reduced price then you shouldn't go too far wrong.

enviro
2008-04-08, 12:15
I wear Gore-tex jackets in the winter and they work great. I have a Marmot jacket (Precip laminate) that I use for 3-season stuff, and it works well and seems to breath OK. I use a poncho in the summer.

Where I differ from Geo is with regards to Gore-tex lined footwear. I like it alot. The thing that I like about it is when I am crossing streams and can step on rocks that have a couple of inches of water running over them and don't get wet feet, and also when the grass is wet and just walking gets the feet wet. My boots are Asolo GTX 95. A lot of the boot is fabric and maybe that helps them breath better, cause I don't get a lot of sweating from the gore-tex. I would wonder about the breathablity of all leather Gore-tex lined boots though.

lucky luke
2008-04-08, 14:50
SailingSoul, I'd use a poncho in the tropics. No waterproof suit is going to be to be really comfy in those conditions. If you must have a rainsuit, look into a fabric called EVent.

i had goretex, sympatex, and other stuff. nothing i wore so far breathes half as good as my vaude event jacket. expensive, but worth every cent. i donīt wear my old jackets anymore. i donīt know if its available in usa because of fire-retardant-laws.

got my jacket at ebay lightly used for 150 euro, new 450.- worth ervery cent, really.

rainy trails
lucky luke

Macclint
2008-04-09, 01:21
The Sportsman's Guide has surplus German gore-tex for sale at reasonable price...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=396710 bottoms with suspenders...

And field jacket...
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=341250

Hope that helps...

--
Clint Hollingsworth
The Wandering Ones webcomic
http://www.wanderingones.com

Geo.
2008-04-09, 20:04
Where I differ from Geo is with regards to Gore-tex lined footwear. I like it alot. The thing that I like about it is when I am crossing streams and can step on rocks that have a couple of inches of water running over them and don't get wet feet, and also when the grass is wet and just walking gets the feet wet. My boots are Asolo GTX 95. A lot of the boot is fabric and maybe that helps them breath better, cause I don't get a lot of sweating from the gore-tex. I would wonder about the breathablity of all leather Gore-tex lined boots though.

Yep, I guess Gortex could be of use in fabric boots. I use Asolo leather boots and treated leather is pretty good at keeping out water from wet grasses and shallow depths, though it isn't very breathable as far as sweat goes of course. Wouldn't be surprised if the breathability of gortex in leather boots is negated by the leather shell and build up of interior grime - they reckon gortex should be kept reasonably clean to be effective and that must be a bit tough as far as boots go.

KLeth
2008-04-10, 03:04
I am not a huge fan of GoreTex ect. I sweat too much for it to to ventilate out. or jackets ect. I prefer waxed clothing (G1000 fabric with light waxing).
But if it is really pouring down GoreTex has its advantage - My old "Teflon" army raincoat were a blessing compared to the even older army rubberized-nylon rainwear, more waterproof and more breathable.
I do still like to wear rain-ponchoes if hiking in all-day rain since ponchoes ventilate much better than anything else (and can be used as shelter).

I despice GoreTex in leather footwear since moisture will be caught in and between the two layers but GoreTex in footwear of synthetics is quite good.
Old fashioned leather footwear is more breathable and just as waterproof, if treated correctly, than leather and GoreTex combined.

enviro
2008-04-10, 11:38
Yep, I guess Gortex could be of use in fabric boots. I use Asolo leather boots and treated leather is pretty good at keeping out water from wet grasses and shallow depths, though it isn't very breathable as far as sweat goes of course. Wouldn't be surprised if the breathability of gortex in leather boots is negated by the leather shell and build up of interior grime - they reckon gortex should be kept reasonably clean to be effective and that must be a bit tough as far as boots go.

Yes I used treated leather boots for years and as long as you keep them properly treated they worked very well. I used snowseal on mine. Probably something better then that by now.

Iceman
2008-04-11, 10:24
Kleth, we (or atleast I) are not seeing much waxed clothing here in the states...except for a few makers... Do you see alot of that on the market there?

KLeth
2008-04-11, 13:54
Kleth, we (or atleast I) are not seeing much waxed clothing here in the states...except for a few makers... Do you see alot of that on the market there?

One of Scandinavias largest producers of outdoor equipment; Fjallraven has serveral series of clothing in G1000 (http://www.fjallraven.com/Templates/mall1.asp?SectionId=3166&Menu=&material=G-1000;3166), that is waxable. Most of their G1000 products are delivered with a factory waxing, that either can be washed away or maintained depending of climate.

E.g. this is my favorite spring/autum jacket : Iceland Jacket (http://www.fjallraven.com/Products/Product.asp?ItemId=501&FromSearch=yes) I give it extra waxing on the shoulders since around 60% of all water on the body lands there.
Also I like the look and feel of the jacket, a bit like an old army jacket :biggrin:

Also I almost always wear trousers in G1000, even in the office :
Barents (http://www.fjallraven.com/Products/Product.asp?ItemId=1248&SectionName=yes&Menu=menu1&SectionId=3785)
Vidda (http://www.fjallraven.com/Products/product.asp?ItemId=54428&SectionName=yes&Menu=menu1&SectionId=3785)
Also Greenland, Iceland and serveral types of their shorts.
The ones I hike in; I wax primarily on the knees.

Iceman
2008-04-12, 02:24
Very nice stuff. Even liked a few of their tents. But no dealer close to my home... :biggrin:

Product line looks similar to Filson tincloth fabric, maybe a bit lighter....; http://www.filson.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2065769&cp=2065676&clickid=leftnav_Filson_Tin_Cloth_txt

innermountain
2008-04-22, 13:33
We use Marmot Precip jackets and pants. Super light, waterproof/breathable and way less expensive. Sierra Designs also has some comparable gear - Patagonia as well. Great for hiking and backpacking (http://www.wildlandtrekking.com), because they're so light and effective. Hope this helps!

Scott