PDA

View Full Version : unhappy with my bridge hammock

lucky luke
2008-04-08, 15:09
high folk,

impressed by the good response the bhs got in most threads i made one last weekend. it hangs perfectly flat, is 42 inches wide at the head and little less at the footend.

problem ist that without a foampad inside i feel a strong shoulder squeeze, way too much to be comfortable. it just feels very narrow, compared to my hh asym, and my selfmade speer-type (which i like best by far!!).

if i put my thermarest inside i have the feeling it does not really swing like my other hammocks, but has a warp in itself when going back and forth. made me feel so funny last night i got out after about an hr and slept with the dog on the floor.

any suggestions? is it always that way and i need to get used to it? probably never will.

one more question. i have never read any comment on a 3rd spreader bar right at the bottom, where the thermarest lies. if i put another bar in there to keep the fabrik apart, what will happen? weight is not an issue since it is supposed to stay in the bedroom.

thanks for some input,
lucky luke

peter_pan
2008-04-08, 21:24
LL,

what is your size? are you a back sleeper?....

Pan

FireFighter56
2008-04-10, 02:13
sounds like to me u need a HH....spend the $$$ and get a HH .....

Frolicking Dino
2008-04-10, 08:51
HH aren't for everyone - they nearly turned me totally away from hanging.

I've had the same experience with the squeeze problem without a pad in place. Not sure what the fix would be for an indoor hammock. I always use a pad outdoors.

The Bridge hammock is a great option for those who sleep on their side and turn over during the night (something I must do due to a leg injury). It is also the easiest hammock option by far for those who have difficulty entering and / or exiting a hammock due to ortho problems (bad back, bum hip/ knee/ leg, OA or RA). One of my great-grandchildren (age 6 yrs) slept in this on her tummy without a problem, but I'm not sure how that would work for an adult.

lucky luke
2008-04-10, 14:13
hi,

thanks for the answers!

@firefighter: i have a hh asym. i like it, except i dont like being confined. the moskitonetting is in my way when reading, no good views, ...
but i do sleep well in it.

@peter:
i am 511, and sleep on the back and both my sides. and i toss and turn a lot, all night long. everytime i shift get this warp in the bh, with little swing.

my speer type swings nicely without this wigly warp.

@f dino:

i can not be in there without the thermarest. its like being stuck in a slot canon. i know i have wide shoulders, but the hammok is wide enough with the pad to lie comfortably ( and yes, perfectly flat). that warp is whats driving me nuts in there.... lying on teh belly is also possible, but not my favourite position.

@all:

anyone tried a 3rd spreader bar yet? i dont have time to put one in this weekend, but will as soon as possible.

cu
lucky luke

peter_pan
2008-04-11, 08:24
LL,

My guess is that you get the "lil warp" when shifting because the hammock is too shallow..... Almost all the homemade ones that folk write about are overly shallow and wide... This often leads to some instability issues....

Pan

lucky luke
2008-04-15, 16:33
LL,

My guess is that you get the "lil warp" when shifting because the hammock is too shallow..... Almost all the homemade ones that folk write about are overly shallow and wide... This often leads to some instability issues....

Pan

hi pan,

if you mean by shallow a stronger curve in the sides with the result of cutting away more fabric you are probably answwering my question. i did cut away a lot so i get an easier entry from the side. actually i cut 2 different curves, one way down, the other about 5 inches less. thanks!

happy hanging
lucky luke

mark o. david
2008-04-15, 20:54
Luke,I think a third spread. will be like sleeping on a piece of lumber.Try putting more tension on the set up before you install bars.I have some images on my web site of a hammock called the "kayaker"check it out./Mark

Didache
2008-05-10, 01:47
high folk,

impressed by the good response the bhs got in most threads i made one last weekend. it hangs perfectly flat, is 42 inches wide at the head and little less at the footend.

problem ist that without a foampad inside i feel a strong shoulder squeeze, way too much to be comfortable. it just feels very narrow, compared to my hh asym, and my selfmade speer-type (which i like best by far!!).

if i put my thermarest inside i have the feeling it does not really swing like my other hammocks, but has a warp in itself when going back and forth. made me feel so funny last night i got out after about an hr and slept with the dog on the floor.

any suggestions? is it always that way and i need to get used to it? probably never will.

one more question. i have never read any comment on a 3rd spreader bar right at the bottom, where the thermarest lies. if i put another bar in there to keep the fabrik apart, what will happen? weight is not an issue since it is supposed to stay in the bedroom.

thanks for some input,
lucky luke

The wide of the hammock at your shoulders depends on how far away the spreader bar is from your shoulders, how wide the fabric is there, and how wide the spreader bars are. I wear a size 44 jacket (American), and am not squeezed when the spreader bar is about 6" past the top of my head, there is 53" of fabric between the ends of the spreader bar, and the bar itself is 36".

The swing is different. Pan points out that shallower (than the JRB BMBH) bridges are less stable, which (all other things being equal) is true, but also in my experience I haven't ever fallen out or been in any danger of falling out. But it certainly affects the swing. Can't help you there.

With respect to the lower spreader bar, I did some experiments trying to spread things out lower down with another bar. One of the problems is that to just put a bar there doesn't do much good. It pushes apart the fabric locally, but that doesn't carry further down the hammock where you want it. To get the lower spread carried further along the hammock you need to have a whole nuther line of webbing embedded in the side of the hammock, with spreaders at both ends, and tension on that. Now you have a Rube Goldberg hammock with two separate suspension lines, and a challenge to pull them both just right so that you get separation on both.

BUT you said you were going to do this indoors. Many things are possible if you build a hammock stand specifically for the bridge. Think of a frame made of lumber, as long as your hammock is long, a little wider than your spreader bars, and maybe 4 feet high. You can suspend the main webbing from the interior corners, and I bet you could get the lower degree of spreading with a second embedded bit of webbing, being pulled to the side attached to the upright posts. Easy to speculate from an arm-chair anyway.

There are pictures and discussion of the 2nd embedded web line in the Bridge Hammock thread over at the Hammock Forums. Also pictures and a discussion about a frame-based hammock stand.

good luck

lucky luke
2008-05-11, 03:27
hi didache,

a frame will take up too much room, besides i have the anchors in the wall... i believe it will work though. i could make a spidernet-hammock with webbing going everywhere, LOL!.

i missed the thread at the hammock forum, will see if i can find it. also the rube goldberg h. who is this guy anyway?

thanks, cu
lucky luke

Didache
2008-05-11, 10:35
hi didache,

a frame will take up too much room, besides i have the anchors in the wall... i believe it will work though. i could make a spidernet-hammock with webbing going everywhere, LOL!.

i missed the thread at the hammock forum, will see if i can find it. also the rube goldberg h. who is this guy anyway?

thanks, cu
lucky luke

did some digging and found this post (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=26836&postcount=517) about the lower spreader bar.

Definition : A Rube Goldberg machine is an incredibly overengineered apparatus that performs a very simple task in very indirect and convoluted fashion.

Here's a place to start on Rube Goldberg (http://www.rubegoldberg.com/).

lucky luke
2008-05-13, 12:09
did some digging and found this post (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=26836&postcount=517) about the lower spreader bar.

Definition : A Rube Goldberg machine is an incredibly overengineered apparatus that performs a very simple task in very indirect and convoluted fashion.

Here's a place to start on Rube Goldberg (http://www.rubegoldberg.com/).

hi didache,

thanks for the link! will take a few hrs to download. thats what you get when you live in the middle of nowwhere....

rube sounds like me.... ;-)

happy hanging,
lucky luke