PDA

View Full Version : Carter Caves State Park

Gruntacious
2008-04-22, 14:41
I recently spent one day and one night at Carter Caves State Park in NE KY. There are a number of trails to hike ranging from 2 mi. to 7 mi. I would recomend going in early spring when the wildflowers are blossoming- very beautiful. I found at least one species of flower which I have yet been able to identify.

The highlights of this particular park, as the name suggests, are all the caves. Cave tours are offered for those who are still getting comfortable with caving. There are also plenty of caves to explore on your own, however some require permits (free of charge). I spoke with a ranger who pointed out that there are over 100 caves of all sizes within the park.

As far as camping, in my opinion, the park leaves something to be desired. There are over 80 sites in their campground and 2 backcountry sites off their trails. You may find that these sites do the trick for you, however I prefer to find my own unmarked site off the trail, which is not allowed in this particular park. On a positive note, the sites provided are great if your more interested in exploring what the park has to offer than "roughin'-it" camping.

For more info, go to the KY State Parks webpage.