PDA

View Full Version : Close Encounter With a Deer

Gruntacious
2008-04-26, 05:07
So there is was...

...camping in Carter Caves State Park in NE KY. I was in the campground searching for wood in the other camp sites at about 11:00 PM. I had my LED headlamp on, which was low on batteries. It didn't light up much other than the ground in front of me. I looked up and saw eyes reflecting back in the brush ahead- maybe 20-30 yards. Insantly, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up so, I back-peddled a few steps. Thats when at least 1 white tail took off. I barely saw it but, at least I knew it was deer and not something ferocisous. That's when I relaxed...

...I remember once when I was bow hunting with my dad. My dad had the bow and I had a knife- a big knife. A buck snuck up on me. He was peeking his head around a tree and was staring at me. He stomped to make me jump, I did, and he ran off...

...anyway, I remembered the time when the buck stomped, and I decided to stomp before this one had the chance. I stomped, stood for a moment, and the deer stomped back!!! I stomped again and so did the deer. We went back and forth 3, maybe even 4 times. Then, I tried to see how close I could get to it before it took off. I took 2 or 3 steps and it was gone. Man, it was cool.:ahhhhh:

This is probabley one of those "you-had-to-be-there" stories but, I'll never forget it.

SGT Rock
2008-04-26, 08:52
Great story. I have had a couple of times where deer come into camp and lick where they guys have peed - I guess for the salt. I told it to some friends of mine who hunt and they couldn't belive it - they said that conventional wisdom with hunters is not to pee in camp because deer are afraid of human scent. I said it was probably the guns that scared them.

lucky luke
2008-04-26, 15:50
So there is was...

...anyway, I remembered the time when the buck stomped, and I decided to stomp before this one had the chance. I stomped, stood for a moment, and the deer stomped back!!! I stomped again and so did the deer. We went back and forth 3, maybe even 4 times. Then, I tried to see how close I could get to it before it took off. I took 2 or 3 steps and it was gone. Man, it was cool.:ahhhhh:

hi,

you oughtta change your name to "groovinŽdeer":biggrin:

happy stomps
lucky luke

Streamweaver
2008-04-26, 22:47
Yeah deer will stomp on the ground to warn other deer that something isnt right and danger may be near. I was night hiking once and stopped after midnight to rest.I dozed off and when I woke up I felt like i was being watched ,I turned on my headlamp and sure enough I was surrounded by at least a dozen sets of shining beedy eyes.lol Ive seen alot of deer but thats always a bit unnerving!

Gruntacious
2008-04-28, 15:08
Yeah deer will stomp on the ground to warn other deer that something isnt right and danger may be near.

I told some friends at work and they thought I was crazy. "Why would you stomp the ground?! Did you want it to charge?" I snicker to myself and tell them that if it did charge- being that deer are the the meanest darn things you can come accross in the woods- it would have probably been the first deer in history bagged with a hatchet.