PDA

View Full Version : para cord 550 cord

chrisshould
2008-04-27, 00:50
Im sorry up front if this is massively talked about, but I cant find it. I just ran into a ton of 550/ Para cord and I want to weave (NOT KNOT) a hammock. Are there any instructions on this anywhere ?

samhain
2008-04-27, 16:07
I'm a fan of paracord as well Chris.

Though I've been told and then subsequently observed that it tends to stretch pretty significantly.

I found this out by using paracord for a ridge-line for my tarp over my HH. It rained like the dickens during the night and when I woke the next morning the tarp was almost sitting on my hammock. I had a good 3 feet of clearance between the two when I went to sleep the night before.

If I was laying in a hammock made of paracord my butt would've been in the mud when I woke up the next day.

If you're wanting to weave a hammock yourself, I would recommend using something other than paracord that isn't as prone to stretching.

chrisshould
2008-04-28, 12:35
thanks bud

Streamweaver
2008-04-28, 15:20
Yeah,Samhain is right about the stretch,I once made a hammock(out of ripstop) and rigged it with paracord as high up in a tree as I could and still get in it.The dern thing still sagged all the way till my butt hit the ground!! Plenty of other good uses for the paracord though.

nolsson
2008-04-29, 19:08
Im sorry up front if this is massively talked about, but I cant find it. I just ran into a ton of 550/ Para cord and I want to weave (NOT KNOT) a hammock. Are there any instructions on this anywhere ?

I suggest you try weaving a sprang hammock. It's apparently the most comfortable kind of hammock next to the extremely difficult to weave Mayan variety. I have a neat little hammock book that describes how to do it, although you will need a LOT of cord (that doesn't stretch), several readings of the instructions, and some trial-and-error to figure things out.

Here is a link to the book on Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/4ud25q

Unfortunately, it's out of print and currently pretty expensive to buy used. I did some Googling, but couldn't find a "do it yourself" sprang hammock weaving site. You might try poking around more online. I didn't look very thoroughly. Let me know if you want to pursue this idea and perhaps I can figure out something for you.

Nat