PDA

View Full Version : Am I a Bad American?

Gruntacious
2008-04-28, 15:23
For those who may not know- just about every American that filed their taxes this year will be receiving an extra couple hundred dollars in their tax refund for "economic stimulus" of our economy.

I'm going to spend at least part of this money on a new Hennessy Hammock, which is a Canadian company. I don't think this is what ole' GW had in mind when he signed off on the deal. Isn't freedom grand?

SGT Rock
2008-04-28, 15:40
Pay off my car

oops56
2008-04-28, 17:48
Get some fire wood and washing machine

incognito
2008-04-28, 18:00
couple hundred toward food storage. Global food shortages are having an effect on all of us. Recently Japan ran out of butter, a necessity on rice. Local "Sams" store is limiting bulk bags of rice, one per customer. :elefant:

ki0eh
2008-04-28, 20:15
I'm going to spend at least part of this money on a new Hennessy Hammock, which is a Canadian company.

With product made in China; since that money is borrowed from China, sounds about right to me. :biggrin:
________
AMATEUR HOMEMADE (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/60/homemade/videos/1)

W.Catfish
2008-04-28, 23:36
Pay off the Visa we used to pay our taxes.

warraghiyagey
2008-04-29, 02:59
Pay off the Visa we used to pay our taxes.

So it goes.

samhain
2008-04-29, 21:32
For those who may not know- just about every American that filed their taxes this year will be receiving an extra couple hundred dollars in their tax refund for "economic stimulus" of our economy.

I'm going to spend at least part of this money on a new Hennessy Hammock, which is a Canadian company. I don't think this is what ole' GW had in mind when he signed off on the deal. Isn't freedom grand?

Naw.

You're exercising your freedom of choice in a free market economy.

What's more American than that?

Turk
2008-04-29, 21:45
browse the deserted car dealerships and pick up a new Jeep for cheap across the border in Michigan. Paid for with colorful and suddenly strong canadian dollars.

lucky luke
2008-04-30, 01:12
browse the deserted car dealerships and pick up a new Jeep for cheap across the border in Michigan. Paid for with colorful and suddenly strong canadian dollars.

hi turk,

whow the usa must be going down the drain. i have never, NEVER heared about a us citizen accepting canadian dollars. not even a used car dealer. lucky turk!

is it hard to get documents for a us car in canada? very hard in germany with import laws and paperwork and inspection to get something from outside eu, especially if its not a new car.

if iŽld get 200 dollars back iŽld save them. plan ist to buy a motorbike in fall.

greets
lucky luke

Frolicking Dino
2008-04-30, 14:06
We are getting something like $1,200 USD. It will probably go into the new car fund since we recently had to dip in there unexpectedly when the youngest Dino, a junior in college, totalled her car. (we have a fund we use to buy cars when necessary so there is no loan / interest. We just put the equivilent of a car payment in the fund each month. The fund is in CDs which roll over every 6 months..... works well for us.)

warraghiyagey
2008-04-30, 21:40
Seems the new age Dinos are waaaaay smarter than the Jurassic Era ones.

FireFighter56
2008-05-01, 02:29
buy more ammo for the sniper rifle and the .223 assault rifle...more mountain house food...and more gas and oil....cause when gas and oil hits 5$+ a gallon...all hell will break loose ....i got 6 50 gal drums on the side just in case

Coopdog
2008-05-03, 12:18
buying bycycle parts and tools. when gas gets too crazy, will have to ride it.

Geo.
2008-05-03, 17:48
buy more ammo for the sniper rifle and the .223 assault rifle...more mountain house food...and more gas and oil....cause when gas and oil hits 5$+ a gallon...all hell will break loose ....i got 6 50 gal drums on the side just in case

Hey FireFighter! With 6x50 gal drums of gas & oil on the side, maybe you should use a bit of that cash to boost up your foam compound supplies... ;)

Take-a-knee
2008-05-08, 22:08
Hey FireFighter! With 6x50 gal drums of gas & oil on the side, maybe you should use a bit of that cash to boost up your foam compound supplies... ;)

That is funny cause foo gas ain't funny at all if you are near it when it goes off.

FranceyS
2008-05-19, 13:24
About storing gasoline... isn't that questionable? Everything I've read about leaving gas in your car or motorhome over 2 months says it deteriorates and forms sludge on your engine parts. Perhaps that's only for gas left in vehicle tanks and not in storage tanks. Just thought I'd ask.

Take-a-knee
2008-05-20, 14:29
About storing gasoline... isn't that questionable? Everything I've read about leaving gas in your car or motorhome over 2 months says it deteriorates and forms sludge on your engine parts. Perhaps that's only for gas left in vehicle tanks and not in storage tanks. Just thought I'd ask.

I don't think crankcase sludge is the issue, it is a form a varnish that settles out and clogs the fuel injectors that is a greater concern. Try adding Stabil.

GGS
2008-05-20, 17:12
Well for my part half of my economic stimulus check will go to replacing the two extension ladders that mysteriously disappeared from my fenced in back yard.

I just wanna know how someone can walk down the street with a 24ft fiberglass extension ladder tucked under their arm and no one notices.

:mad:

sam4msu
2008-06-01, 16:57
Into retirement savings...Now I can retire 1 month earlier!!!WOOHOO!!

Bearpaw
2008-06-01, 18:00
My money is going into financing summer trips. First one was just completed in the Smokies, with a night enriching Ron Haven at the Franklin Budget Inn.

We have a Carribean cruise (4 days) already paid for week after next. Then back to the Smokies to wrap up our honeymoon. At least I know my $600 will go back into the US economy, though much of it will likely be an oil company.......

Wise Old Owl
2008-06-30, 10:36
The Check was so small ... I didn't even see it come in the mail!

My wife got it.

atraildreamer
2008-06-30, 10:49
We are getting something like $1,200 USD. It will probably go into the new car fund since we recently had to dip in there unexpectedly when the youngest Dino, a junior in college, totalled her car. (we have a fund we use to buy cars when necessary so there is no loan / interest. We just put the equivilent of a car payment in the fund each month. The fund is in CDs which roll over every 6 months..... works well for us.)

Let her slow down! Buy her a bike (American made) with the money. Let her pedal to school. Think of all the gas $$$ you'll save! :biggrin:

kayak karl
2008-06-30, 11:05
spending mine on JRB winter nest. i think im going to be cold next winter

Frolicking Dino
2008-06-30, 14:37
Let her slow down! Buy her a bike (American made) with the money. Let her pedal to school. Think of all the gas $$$ you'll save! :biggrin:Tempting as that is, our youngest isn't about to live without her car. She is working and going to school so a car really is a necessity for her.

Wise Old Owl
2008-07-01, 22:21
Tempting as that is, our youngest isn't about to live without her car. She is working and going to school so a car really is a necessity for her.

Sorry you are the adult and you left foot isn't big enough for me or her. Feel free to PM me I have been there.

JAK
2008-07-02, 11:03
hi turk,

whow the usa must be going down the drain. i have never, NEVER heared about a us citizen accepting canadian dollars. not even a used car dealer. lucky turk!

is it hard to get documents for a us car in canada? very hard in germany with import laws and paperwork and inspection to get something from outside eu, especially if its not a new car.

if iŽld get 200 dollars back iŽld save them. plan ist to buy a motorbike in fall.

greets
lucky lukeThey've always been great about talking Canadian dollars in Maine. Even when the looney was US$0.70 they would take Canadian change including the looney at par at toll booths in Maine. That did eventually change, but they still took quarters I think. It's only as you go further south that things quite naturally get more difficult. The biggest trading partner of the United States is not Canada, but the United States itself. It's just that big. Same with economies like China. Anyhow, I think the real answer to our whoas is frugality. I don't think we should be stimulating the economy. I think we need to focus on making it more sustainable. We need to encourage spending which reduces waste, and discourage spending that is wasteful. We can't do this too suddenly because our existing economy is driven by waste, but we have to get there eventually, and I'm afraid there is going to be some carnage along the way.

I'm in favour of a carbon tax, upstream, levied when the carbon fuels enter the country or come out of the ground. The cost will be passed on down to consumers eventually, but wasteful stuff will cost more, and less wasteful more locally and efficiently produced stuff will cost less. The duty on goods coming into the country would have to be similarly changed based on the amount of carbon fuels used to produce them. This revenue should be used to reduce and even replace sales tax and income tax. The idea would be to tax energy use, not employment, and in doing so tax waste, not work.

I don't even see why the oil companies and banks should neccessarily lose from this.
They might sell less oil, but in the long run I think they would make more real wealth.

JAK
2008-07-02, 11:10
Anyhow, I think the real question is how does the average guy brace for change. I think it's a balance between paying off debt, making investments that reduce your living costs, and storing away some cash and commodities. Oats maybe. I don't know.

If buying a hammock reduced your cost of living by getting you out hiking more, and that facilitates you being happy in a smaller place, or with a smaller vehicle, or going out to restraunts and movies less often, and buying fewer wasteful consumer junk, then I say go for it.

Otherwise, yeah, pay off Rock's car. :)