PDA

View Full Version : bacon...

JRiker
2008-05-07, 16:42
planning a week long hike when i get back from overseas...

want to have bacon and eggs...

i know about eggs... no questions there.

does anyone know the pack-life of slab bacon? (cured bacon)

does anyone know of a precooked bacon that doesn't taste like butt?

just to save pointless replies i already know about pepperoni and summer sausage, i want bacon...

thanks guys

SGT Rock
2008-05-07, 18:47
I had some pre-cooked on the AT this year. It was like heaven. I don't know who made it though. It was trail magic.

Hypnocracy
2008-05-07, 20:52
Hormel makes 12-14 slice precooked I've used with the troop...if you have 4 people wanting Bacon it works out well...we never had any leftovers so I don't know how it would keep...and keep from pounding into crumbs

enviro
2008-05-12, 12:38
I've used the pre-cooked Hormel also and I think it tastes very good. I've used it for tearings pieces into cheese grits, eating it alone, it's really good if you heat it in a skillet or pot for a little bit. It seems to hold up well in the pack too. I keep it sealed up and have had it in the pack for as long as 6 days.

JRiker
2008-05-13, 14:51
it's official...

general research, go to whiteblaze.

answer to a specific question, go to hikinghq

have to try hormel my next time out.

thanks guys

Take-a-knee
2008-05-14, 00:11
I had some pre-cooked on the AT this year. It was like heaven. I don't know who made it though. It was trail magic.

That stuff really ain't very healthy for you, I'd limit it to an occasional treat. Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods you can eat and a lot of folks are afraid to eat them. Bacon, however, has gotten a free ride. Half the overweight folks who eat at Subway put bacon on their sandwiches, along with extra mayo.

enviro
2008-05-14, 12:14
Can't argue the potential bad effects of bacon. But, it is good.

Not much better than a BLT when the homegrown tomatos are in, thick slices of toasted wheat bread. That's Nirvana.

I do try and resist bacon cheesburgers, subway bacon clubs, etc. I prefer my bacon straight up.

I eat lots of eggs, but aren't there cholesterol issues with eggs?

Hollowdweller
2008-05-14, 12:33
Does anyone remember the very salty canned bacon from Poland that K mart used to sell?

I bet it would have kept. I think it was dry cured.

Look online for dry cured bacon.

kayak karl
2008-05-14, 20:37
planning a week long hike when i get back from overseas...

want to have bacon and eggs...

i know about eggs... no questions there.

does anyone know the pack-life of slab bacon? (cured bacon)

does anyone know of a precooked bacon that doesn't taste like butt?

just to save pointless replies i already know about pepperoni and summer sausage, i want bacon...

thanks guys

i checked everywhere for "shelf" life of fresh meat. nota. i guess its eater beware. but what if you cooked it right after resupply (like the 5 sec egg thing, but longer.) how long might it last then? as kids we wrapped it around a stick and cooked it.

I just put some in food drier, curious?????

you really got me thinking. is there a canned canadian bacon???

Take-a-knee
2008-05-15, 12:06
Can't argue the potential bad effects of bacon. But, it is good.

Not much better than a BLT when the homegrown tomatos are in, thick slices of toasted wheat bread. That's Nirvana.

I do try and resist bacon cheesburgers, subway bacon clubs, etc. I prefer my bacon straight up.

I eat lots of eggs, but aren't there cholesterol issues with eggs?

Supposedly the cholesterol in eggs doesn't do a lot of harm. If you have a low cholesterol count I wouldn't worry about it. If yours is high normal like mine (220-230) then minimize the number of yolks you eat, IE, make a three egg omlet with one yolk. The hydrogenated fats in processed foods are what really screw you up.

Blissful
2008-05-28, 15:14
i checked everywhere for "shelf" life of fresh meat. nota. i guess its eater beware. but what if you cooked it right after resupply (like the 5 sec egg thing, but longer.) how long might it last then? as kids we wrapped it around a stick and cooked it.

I just put some in food drier, curious?????

you really got me thinking. is there a canned canadian bacon???

Canadian bacon lasts fine for a few days backpacking. Plenty of salt in it.

Nearly Normal
2008-05-29, 21:10
I can't locate the article I read about eggs.
Supposedly, "store" eggs do increase cholesterol. Has to do with the feed.
Eggs from chickens fed natural grain and allowed to range are suppose to reduce your cholesterol.

A friend brought me a couple of chickens he raised "naturally". The taste is not to be believed. Much better.

CaSteve
2008-05-30, 22:45
A friend brought me a couple of chickens he raised "naturally". The taste is not to be believed. Much better.

The chicken or the eggs?

FireFighter56
2008-06-02, 00:59
MMmm chicken....i mean....egg...yeah eggs...i like eggs..MMmmm

pure_mahem
2008-06-19, 17:50
I've had Hormel it's pretty good but I don't know about the "pack life" of it! Mmmmm I think I'll go have a BLT, lol!

houdini
2008-06-20, 15:54
You know how to improve the taste of bacon, of course.....

sprinkle it with bacon bits.

Iceman
2008-06-20, 23:42
How about hiking a pig down the trail, then sharing it with friends? Fresh too! The ulitmate ultra light meal, it walks itself...

CanoeCamper
2008-06-21, 17:23
Now it's starting to sound like a party in the woods.

oops56
2008-06-21, 18:52
Well if we going to have a nice pig meal we should have dessert like a cake:beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMrl2BFIvV4

dropkick
2008-06-22, 08:00
You can "can" bacon (preserve it in a jar), so I would think that there should be a way to do it for the trail.

Seal it in a vacuum bag and then boil the bag to kill any possible germs inside it? Microwave?? Don't know.

I've cooked it and dried it before, but that ends up with crumbs you use in cooking not strips.

BigJohn
2008-06-22, 13:42
How about hiking a pig down the trail, then sharing it with friends? Fresh too! The ulitmate ultra light meal, it walks itself...

Ha ha...it can carry a backpack and eat your waste too. :biggrin:

peter_pan
2008-06-24, 07:30
Precook your own bacon in your favorite black iron skillet..... break into 3-4 inch lengths put it in a zip baggie..... THEN the GOOD part....submerge the baggie in your pot as you boil your coffee or coffe water.... When coffee is ready so is the hot, made it myself tastey bacon.....easy.

or do the same with the precook and sealed bacon....

Works well.... done it many times....bonus...no field clean up.

Pan

JRiker
2008-06-24, 17:56
thanks pan... that sounds like a good idea, i'll try that next time i go out.

went looking for the precooked and couldn't find it, definitely just going to precook it myself...

peter_pan
2008-06-24, 21:02
thanks pan... that sounds like a good idea, i'll try that next time i go out.

went looking for the precooked and couldn't find it, definitely just going to precook it myself...

JR.... Put a bagel on the pot lid to warm it at the same time..... small pkg of philadelpia cream cheese, plus the bacon in the bagel.... Da_n good...

Pan

PS.... you can do scrambled eggs in a baggie the same way.... takes about 2.5 xs as long though....Have to mush the baggie 3 or 4 time in the process....if you go that route, put the broken up precooked bacon in as the egg cooks... eat from the bag, no mess again.

dropkick
2008-06-25, 02:10
Tried this last summer and it worked pretty good.

Slice some ham thin, rinse it off (this keeps it from getting to salty tasting) and then cut it into small pieces (1/4 in).
Then I fry it a little bit, just to bring out the flavor, and then dry it for a short time.
-You don't want it crunchy, just with most of the moisture gone. If you can bend a piece and it cracks your done.
I add this directly to my egg before cooking.
It gets enough moisture from the egg during cooking to come out well.

JAK
2008-06-25, 21:25
does anyone know of a precooked bacon that doesn't taste like butt?What's wrong with butt? :bootyshak

p.s. Seriously though, bacon is strictly a winter thing for me. I figure I tease the bears enough with all my oatmeal and honey.

p.p.s. Mmmm bacon. OK. On second thought you talked me into it.

Amigi
2008-06-27, 19:22
Good website for us hikers. At the bottom is a long chart with shelf life.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/348-960/348-960.html

JR says he knows the egg trick, but for those who dont....

Coat an egg with a thin layer of vaseline. They'll last a year unrefrigerated.

Wise Old Owl
2008-06-30, 11:16
Before modernization of bacon curing process, we used to dry cure bacon which would preserve the meat. The Dry Cure would take 24 hours in a smoker with wood chips. Packaged Dry Cure bacon is salty, smoky and to die for, it does not require refrigeration. Because modern bacon gets a sodium injection with a machine with thousands of needles, they can produce it much cheaper, unfortunately, it does not have the flavor or shelf life of dry cure. The big secret? Bacon has the highest markup at the supermarket. - most pig farms are struggling to make a buck. I now try to get my bacon from the INTERNET or from Amish sources.

If you don't mind getting a year's supply. Try this website, sell off extra packages to your friends, they won't mind this is by far the best tasting product on the market. Or understand that bacon is kept in two places on the grocery shelves. Premium top quality appears to be kept in a separate area from the "junk" bacon. Talk to your butcher.

Or take a pack precook yourself and re-wrap it for the trail.

I hope that helps.

www.broadbenthams.com

Wise Old Owl
2008-06-30, 11:32
Good website for us hikers. At the bottom is a long chart with shelf life.

JR says he knows the egg trick, but for those who dont....

Coat an egg with a thin layer of vaseline. They'll last a year unrefrigerated.

The most important thing on that chart was dry cured ham =1 year, I get dry cured amish yeagers for the trail and they are an awesome source of protein. Pepperoni Stick is the same. Canned Fish=1year.... not quite, how about 2 years! Safecol Samon product of Thailand & Australia 3.5 oz 2 year shelf life available at dollar stores. $1

Tin Man
2008-07-01, 11:47
Eat the whole egg. Those egg-white omelets are for trendy folks who want to look cool while eating yucky stuff...

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Cholesterol-Rich-Foods-Raise-Blood-Cholesterol.html

JAK
2008-07-01, 14:24
Thanks Tin Man. Very informative. Now I will feel better when I have the whole egg. I'm such a cheapo anyway, hate to throw it out even if it kills me. :)

enviro
2008-07-01, 14:28
Thanks Tin Man. Very informative. Now I will feel better when I have the whole egg. I'm such a cheapo anyway, hate to throw it out even if it kills me. :)

Were you making a yolk?

Tin Man
2008-07-01, 14:45

The other part of this, that I cannot find at the moment, is the bad cholesterol in an egg yolk is not fully absorbed before it passes through you. People assume that what goes in, stays in. However, the absorption rate of various ingredients is variable depending on what else is present in you or the product you are ingesting. In other words, life is more complicated than the ingredient label would lead you to believe. :albertein

Science lesson over for today.

JAK
2008-07-01, 14:55
Thanks for that. Now I may need some time to digest it all.

mattzcoz
2008-07-05, 13:54
I think the Hormel tastes ok. If you're actually going to carry a pack of that with you, it'll last for weeks if not months, at least unopened.

But try this - take any bacon you like, cut the slices up into 1"-2" pieces, fry or bake it on about the lowest temp you can manage until it is very crisp, not burnt, and all the moisture has been rendered out of it. Remove and drain/blot with paper towels. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge until you're ready to go hike.

I know from personal experience that this will keep in the fridge for 1 week, then survive 1 week of drop-box shipping & storage, followed by a 1 week hike (June, on the AT in SW Virginia), and still be good to eat for a few days afterward. I don't know about longer that that because it always gets eaten by then.

With no moisture the fat won't go rancid for quite some time (think pemmican), and all the salt and nitrites/nitrates help too. It's not quite like having fresh bacon, but it weighs a lot less, lasts a long time, and tastes great added to a cooked dish on the trail or just munched as is.

mattzcoz
2008-07-05, 14:01
Tried this last summer and it worked pretty good.

Slice some ham thin, rinse it off (this keeps it from getting to salty tasting) and then cut it into small pieces (1/4 in).
Then I fry it a little bit, just to bring out the flavor, and then dry it for a short time.
-You don't want it crunchy, just with most of the moisture gone. If you can bend a piece and it cracks your done.
I add this directly to my egg before cooking.
It gets enough moisture from the egg during cooking to come out well.

This works great for backpacking. I often make this to have just as a snack too. I use thick cut ham (about as thick as these lower-case letters), cut it into about 1"x2" strips, and cook it in a little butter, low and slow until it's dry and leathery. Blot up any excess butter. I don't bother rinsing the salt out, though sometimes I season it with pepper as it cooks. Ham jerky. Yum!

mattzcoz
2008-07-05, 14:08
BTW, I've used these two sites for info on food storage/shelf-life. I'm pretty sure the USDA has something too, but I don't have it bookmarked.

http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oeh/fses/sfstt_dt6.htm

The vt.edu site says:
"Cured meats, such as bacon, should be stored in their original packaging in the refrigerator. Cured meats have a tendency to become rancid when exposed to air. Therefore, rewrap cured meats after opening the package. Expect approximately a 1-week shelf-life for cured meats. Vacuum-packaging (absence of air) and modified atmospheric packaging (partial removal of air) extends shelf-life of meats and meat products (i.e. luncheon meats). The shelf-life of vacuum-packaged meats and gas-flushed meats is 14 days and 7 to 12 days, respectively."

pure_mahem
2008-07-06, 05:07
Despite all the scares of food poisoning I think you'ld be surprised what you can eat before you get sick from it. After all your suppose to refrigerate ketchup after opening but how many restraunts have ketchup sitting out on there tables all year long.

Also on the Yolk and cholesterol thing. How much of the high cholesterol of eating eggs comes from the fact that they were fried in a crap load of butter? Just to add more perspective to the thought! And HHHMMMMM BACON! The Hormel stuff stays long enough for my hikes but I usually only do weekends. If in doubt after getting it of precooking your own through it in the dehydrator that should do the trick to keep it good long enough. When in doubt smell your BACON if it smells bad dont eat it DUH!! As mentioned it usuall don't last long enough to go bad!!!

Wise Old Owl
2008-07-13, 16:35
Jr, here is my answer... Dry Cure....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37633

Lone Cheeze
2008-07-14, 11:43
That stuff really ain't very healthy for you, I'd limit it to an occasional treat. Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods you can eat and a lot of folks are afraid to eat them. Bacon, however, has gotten a free ride. Half the overweight folks who eat at Subway put bacon on their sandwiches, along with extra mayo.

we all know how unhealthy bacon is. he wasn't asking if it was healthy or not. lol

I agree with pre-cooking it yourself or dry cure. I've never found good pre-cooked bacon in a package.

pure_mahem
2008-07-16, 00:41
Just saw this the other day. My dad uses real bacon bits made by hormel. They don't require refrigeration It says on the package the bits are made from Picnic Bacon. Could this be the stuff we're looking for? I've never seen it but then I've never looked for Picnic Bacon. As a warning The bits tasted and smelled like bacon but resembled jerky saw dust. So this makes me think the economical do it yourself thing is to use the dehydrator after you cook your bacon.

JAK
2008-07-16, 10:48
Now this guys seems to know his Canadian Back Bacon...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM-knAOkuGU
These guys too eh. Great job...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tVG573yXsk

Don't listen to these hosers...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6tiFMVRMB4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJe_r5lWvR0
No. Seriously eh. Great guys though don't get me wrong just one two many beers and they don't really know their back bacon eh.
See here though. Gotta love em eh...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw9YsAZ_izY

p.s. They might be on to something here though. No. Seriously eh.
OK here come those three dots again. Gotta run. Take off eh...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsgVspgy184

p.p.s. OK I'm back. Here is the guy that knows what he's doing again, not like those hosers eh. Now he's smokin his Canadian Bacon. Looks great eh. Our Canadian hosers might smoke their smokes while frying up their bacon and drinking a few beers but that's about it eh. So here's the guy smokin his Canadian bacon. Beauty eh...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wh8cpaYsmg

JAK
2008-07-16, 11:47
Don't know what's going on here. Look good though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02qMc2ZjsfM

This is a little easier to follow...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DbcUUO-hI

Wise Old Owl
2008-07-17, 19:03
Despite all the scares of food poisoning I think you'ld be surprised what you can eat before you get sick from it. After all your suppose to refrigerate ketchup after opening but how many restraunts have ketchup sitting out on there tables all year long. 1.

Also on the Yolk and cholesterol thing. How much of the high cholesterol of eating eggs comes from the fact that they were fried in a crap load of butter? 2. Just to add more perspective to the thought! And HHHMMMMM BACON! The Hormel stuff stays long enough for my hikes but I usually only do weekends. If in doubt after getting it of precooking your own through it in the dehydrator that should do the trick to keep it good long enough. When in doubt smell your BACON if it smells bad dont eat it DUH!! As mentioned it usuall don't last long enough to go bad!!!

1. Ketchup is mostly corn syrup & white vinegar - hard for it to go bad. Both items can sit on a shelf for years. Most food places have a high turnover on this item.

2. then don't fry it in butter - people live to be nintey and have a Egg & Butter breakfast quite a few times a week.

3. the whole idea of dry rub smoking bacon was to preserve it before refrigeration was invented.

Wise Old Owl
2008-07-17, 19:08
Just saw this the other day. My dad uses real bacon bits made by hormel. They don't require refrigeration It says on the package the bits are made from Picnic Bacon. Could this be the stuff we're looking for? I've never seen it but then I've never looked for Picnic Bacon. As a warning The bits tasted and smelled like bacon but resembled jerky saw dust. So this makes me think the economical do it yourself thing is to use the dehydrator after you cook your bacon.

Thanks for the heads up, your post made me look it up!

Picnic or café bacon is various off cuts of pork that are pressed into a pseudo-bacon shape and should obviously be avoided.

Swingo
2008-07-18, 22:52
Oscar Myer makes great pre cooked stuff, comes in a box, not even in the refrigerated section. Actually my supermarket carries numerous brands of pre cooked bacon that doesn't need to be refrigerated. I think it's vacuum packed.

enviro
2008-07-19, 04:42
Oscar Myer makes great pre cooked stuff, comes in a box, not even in the refrigerated section. Actually my supermarket carries numerous brands of pre cooked bacon that doesn't need to be refrigerated. I think it's vacuum packed.

I think both the Oscer Myer and Hormel brands are good.