PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Bag AstroFoil Cozy ?

Hypnocracy
2008-05-11, 16:41
New to the freezer bag cooking...any links for AstroFoil DIY Cozy's out there?

Down at Wally World I picked up two types of quart freezer bags...one has a plastic zip lock...the other you slide fingers accross close...but the openings are on the long side of the zip style and short side on the other type...think landscape vs portrait

You freezer bag cooks...any preferences for either type?

Now how to size the cozy? I think I would always want the bag to be dropped in leaving opening to be at the top...

I blew the $6 on a window shade...guestimated a pattern...basically a strip folded up and duct taped to make a pocket for the bag itself...it works OK but is too large to fit either bags. too deep for the bag with opening on long side...too wide for the bag with opening on short side.

It holds heat OK I guess...I've freezer bag cooked two meals in it...

Dislikes:
Can't get down into open cozy and hold bag open to eat out of it...using cozy as a pot holder for hot food...

Searched Homemade Gear forum...didn't find any threads...I know there is a better mouse trap out there...and I got some AstroFoil left and one large piece that could be modified...

Thanks In advance...

Amigi
2008-05-12, 07:18
As for type, I prefer double zip color coded Ziplocs. I rarely freezer bag cook anymore down here, but up on the AT, that is the way to go.

Cozys - I just eat outta the bag from inside my Jetboil. It gets so hot, I really dont need to keep it warm. When it cools enough for me to eat it, it's gone.... :D

phaedrus78
2008-05-21, 02:33
Newbie to the community, tryin' to increase my lingo vocab
cozy = insulated container to keep food warm?
Thanks for humoring me :)

Amigi
2008-05-21, 07:21
Newbie to the community, tryin' to increase my lingo vocab
cozy = insulated container to keep food warm?
Thanks for humoring me :)

Yes, but the post is to short, so yes again.

atraildreamer
2008-05-21, 13:37
Sarbar (aka: the "Freezer Bag Cooking" expert http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/) recommends the bluish-green, quart size Glad bags. They are available at Family Dollar, $2 for 26 bags, and in every supermarket.

http://www.glad.com/foodbags/freezer.php?WT.srch=1