PDA

View Full Version : When you can't shower

martyvan
2008-05-24, 22:36
Hi, many people use baby wipes for hiking and camping, but I'm asking you to please try Action Wipes (http://www.actionwipes.com) (www.actionwipes.com). They're made extra large with all natural ingredients and can be reused and recycled. They're new and different. There's a money back guarantee too. So please, try them and help us spread the word.

RBrownkatz
2008-05-25, 14:14
The website says they are eucalyptus infused. I try to practice good camp hygiene so's not to attract critters and have been looking for a wet wipe with no smell (these are supposed to be odor-free, but I haven't tried them yet http://www.hooahhs.com/hooahhs.cfm?PageID=3600) and I'd like one that is eco-friendly.

If they smell like eucalyptus, is that a critter attractor?

houdini
2008-05-25, 15:19
I suspect you'll be beset by legions of koala bears as eucalyptus is their sole diet. Other than that, I can't see how an aromatic vegetation could present a wildlife hazard.

lucky luke
2008-05-25, 15:47
hi,

if i canŽt shower i try:aetsch: washing!

you know, water and a towel. if water is running, like in a creek its easy. if water is frozen iŽll melt it, a cup is plenty. undress parts of the body, wash them and dry them, undress next part. works fine in mountaineering. you can do it in severe cold inside your tent. i do the same in the desert, except its usually not that cold and i donŽt need to be inside the tent. if i find water to drink, iŽll find one more cup for washing.

i hate chemical stuff, and i hate to carry out unnecessary waste. if everyone uses those wipes, no matter if baby or action, theyŽll be all over the place. just like candy wrappers and paper handkerchiefs and unburned/unburried toiletpaper. :bootyshak :ahhhhh:

clean trails
lucky luke

Amigi
2008-05-25, 16:52
I suspect you'll be beset by legions of koala bears as eucalyptus is their sole diet. Other than that, I can't see how an aromatic vegetation could present a wildlife hazard.

Wow, please dont post such dangerous advice when you havent got a clue. Not to be rude, but smells that bears, wild boar, bobcats, and wolves dont know, they tend to investigate. My wife once used some girly body wash the day before we left for camp. I didnt notice the smell until a couple of raccoons and one large boar made their way into our camp. No thank you.

When I cant shower, I cant shower. I'm not gotta put my nose up and act like I need to have a baby wipe cleaning. I use Purell on my hands constantly, wash up with scentless biodegradable soap when I can, and brush my teeth twice a day with baking soda based paste whenever I hike. But will not bring excess waste out into the wilderness. As Lucky Luke pointed out, any of those wipes will be all over the place.

CaSteve
2008-05-25, 23:38

Not only Koala bears... you might have a problem with nesting Egrets:
"Kelly et al. (1991) found that the great egrets used eucalyptus trees for rookeries more than any other tree species, building 76% of their colonies in them." http://www.iep.ca.gov/suisun_eco_workgroup/workplan/report/wildlife/egret.html

KLeth
2008-05-26, 07:15
Tried different baby-wipes on hikes and they resulted in a lot of small ithing red spots in funny places. Also why we only use Swan (http://www.svanen.nu/Eng/criteria/kriterier.asp)- and/or Flower (http://www.eco-label.com/)-marked baby-wipes for junior.
On hikes we use hard natural soap and washable micro-fiber cloth, also much lighter than a pack of baby-wipes. Less grabage as well.
Hand-sanitizer are for emergencies.
For day hikes we do at times use Swan (http://www.svanen.nu/Eng/criteria/kriterier.asp)- and/or Flower (http://www.eco-label.com/)-marked baby-wipes.
But we have also only hiked where water is plenty.

In general, bio-friendly or ecological products are not automaticly allergy friendly especially if they are scented or contains lotion.

RBrownkatz
2008-05-26, 07:37
As Lucky Luke pointed out, any of those wipes will be all over the place.

Not mine. "...if everyone..." packed out their garbage, like I do :aetsch:, and other peoples' garbage they find including empty Purell containers, like I do :aetsch:, then there would be no problem.

Then again, "...if everyone..." did things just like :adore: Luke, there would be no problem.

And then again "...if everyone..." forgot one reason for cleaning is called hygeine - as in disease avoidance - and refused to put "...my nose up..." :ahhhhh:, there would be no problem.

And then again, I'm being an :bootyshak about this.

If you like to use Purell, use it. If you like a whore's bath, enjoy it. I hope you have a wonderful hike. Just HYOH and LNT and "...everyone..." will be happy.

Amigi
2008-05-26, 15:10
Ont thing I've notice here in Florida since you have to have a permit to LDH, we dont have the litter problems that plague the AT.

And I've never seen an empty Purell bottle, even on the AT...

RBrownkatz
2008-05-26, 17:06
Ont thing I've notice here in Florida since you have to have a permit to LDH, we dont have the litter problems that plague the AT.

And I've never seen an empty Purell bottle, even on the AT...

I have, although actually it wasn't Purell brand of sanitizer. I think we all need to be careful - including me - about generalizing based on our individual experience. Just because I've never seen a bear on a hike doesn't mean that any of the millions of other people who hike won't either. I'm not quite that important.

Last time we hiked in Florida's Myakka River State Park we packed out a bunch of garbage left by others, including a beer can and a black garbage bag one third full. I peeked inside and closed it quickly. We also found lots of plastic bottles, several empty fuel cannisters, tons of unburied TP, and bunch of broken glass. The ranger we talked to said its a consistent problem. We joined the Florida Trail Association and hope to help clean it up. On a recent trip to the East Tract of the Green Swamp, which requires a permit, we only found a soda can and some paper.

I'm glad to hear Florida's LD hiker's are more LNT oriented. I'm very selfish. I'd like the woods to stay the woods and not become a dump.

Amigi
2008-05-26, 17:42
I'm glad to hear Florida's LD hiker's are more LNT oriented. I'm very selfish. I'd like the woods to stay the woods and not become a dump.

Me too.:beer:

RBrownkatz
2008-05-26, 19:03
The more the better! :beer:

kayak karl
2008-05-28, 07:46
and brush my teeth twice a day with baking soda based paste

i use baking soda as a toothpaste and soap

old post on WB
only take baking soda and hand sanitizer on trail. has many uses http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/60soda.htm
here are a few:
5. Clean vegetables and fruit with baking soda. Sprinkle in water, soak and rise the produce
12. Always add 1/2 cup soda to your washing machine load.
13. Clean combs and brushes in a soda solution.
14. Wash food and drink containers with soda and water.
To remove strong odors from your hands, wet your hands and rub them hard with soda, then rinse.
38. Sprinkle baking soda on your wet toothbrush and brush your teeth and dentures with it.
39. Sprinkle soda in tennis shoes, socks, boots and slippers to eliminate odor.
40. Add 1/2 cups or more of baking soda to your bath water to soften your skin.
41. Putting 2 tbsp. of baking soda in your baby's bath water will help relieve diaper rash irritations.
42. Apply soda directly to insect bites, rashes and poison ivy to relieve discomfort. Make a paste with water
44. Take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/2 glass of water to relieve acid indigestion or heartburn.
45. Gargle with 1/2 tsp. baking soda in 1/2 glass of water. Freshens and cleans your mouth.
46. Used as a mouthwash, baking soda will also relieve canker sore pain.
47. To relieve sunburn: use a paste of baking soda and water.
48. Bug bites: use a poultice of baking soda and vinegar.
49. Bee sting: use a poultice of baking soda and water.
50. Windburns: moisten some baking soda and apply directly.
52. Use soda as an underarm deodorant.
56. Add to water to soak dried beans to make them more digestible.
and it has cooking uses:biggrin:

Blissful
2008-05-28, 15:10
Just to let you know, we have used the soda and water on bee bites and have found that infection is much more prevalent afterwards. While it does help to take the sting away initially, I believe strongly it leads to infection at the site (this has happened to us many times). You are better off using neopsoirn or antibiotic cream on a bee sting (we did this on the hike last year, no infection, though it did hurt like crazy for a while).

RBrownkatz
2008-05-28, 20:16
Just to let you know, we have used the soda and water on bee bites and have found that infection is much more prevalent afterwards. While it does help to take the sting away initially, I believe strongly it leads to infection at the site (this has happened to us many times). You are better off using neopsoirn or antibiotic cream on a bee sting (we did this on the hike last year, no infection, though it did hurt like crazy for a while).

Neosporin comes in a version called "Neosporin + Pain Relief." It has a very effective topical anasthetic. We've used it on cuts, bites, burns and poison ivy. Might work on bee stings.

Amigi
2008-05-29, 07:26
And DONT put baking soda in your shoes. In a short time it clumps and hardens into a slab of concrete in your shoe, which is then ruined.

And I'm pretty sure baking soda will not properly clean pots and pans other than as an abrasive. It has no real antibacterial properties against salmonella or E coli.

dropkick
2008-06-22, 07:51
I make my own baby wipes.
I cut paper towel squares in half and fold them into thirds.
I then stack them in a container or even a ziplock and cover them with a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of vinegar and water. (I use cider vinegar but that's personal preference).
After a little while I squeeze the excess liquid out (which compresses them to about 1/4 of the size they are when dry) and put them in a ziplock.

Now they're sanitizing wipes, good for keeping away monkey butt, foot fungus, lethal b.o. or what have you.

Any smell of vinegar that might be on your body only lasts a very short time and is gone within minutes if not sooner.

As they are actual paper (unlike most baby wipes) they don't pose as much of a disposal problem either.

These will attract bear, raccoon, and possibly rodents (as anything with alcohol in it will - i.e a hand sanitizer such as Purell) so I bear bag them along with other attractants like toothpaste, soap, and food.