PDA

View Full Version : Cohutta Wilderness - Jacks River Area

ScubaDooba
2008-06-02, 15:07
There is something for everyone here from Easy to "Strenuous". 95 miles of trails. http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/mountains/blue_ridge/western/cohutta_wilderness.html

If you want to get wet, I recommend the Jacks River Trail (40+ river crossings). :)

My favorite trail is the Rice Camp Trail. It's not frequently travelled (since there are easier trails) however it goes straight to the Jacks River.

I've only encountered a bear once (a little cub wandered near our camp). We shoo-ed it away towards Momma. And we've had a bobcat sniff around under our bearbag in the very early AM but that's about it. I always seem to encounter some sort of wildlife everytime I go. You may see the occasional hardcore fly-fisherman. The trout are a smart bunch!

peter_pan
2008-06-13, 10:14
Wahooooo, Way cool..... Jacks River.... Gotta put this on my must hike list....Great Name.....Gotta be some great hammockin.... Got Bears tooo.....:biggrin:

Pan

Nearly Normal
2008-06-14, 09:34
Is there a good guide and map of the area?

hellbillylarry
2008-06-14, 20:19
Is there a good guide and map of the area?

Tim Homans The hiking trails of north georgia covers it. You should try and check out his other books as well.

enviro
2008-06-30, 16:06
You can also incorporate the Big Frog Wilderness area into Cohutta WA trails for planning loop hikes. They are adjacent with Cohutta in GA and Big Frog in TN

jeb
2008-06-30, 16:22
One of my favorite places is Panther Creek Falls. You park at Three Forks, and take the East Cowpen Trail to the Panther Creek trail, total of 5-6 miles. The great thing about the Cohutta is you have to travel on those FS roads for 10 or more miles. Keeps the tourist away.

Frolicking Dino
2008-06-30, 16:25
Great area with a lot of good trails and camps. One of the places I have hiked for many years.

generoll
2008-08-02, 11:39
I posted a loop hike for this area somewhere in this site. I just can't find it right now. Anyway, you go in and out at Dally Gap and it included Big Frog and Beech Bottom.

campingwK9s
2008-10-19, 13:58
Gotta love Cohutta Wilderness! Watch for snakes though, saw three in one day last weekend! ::ahhhhh:: Love the trail to Jack's River Falls but Conasaugua Trail is less traveled and much more picturesque- smaller falls but much more serene and untouched. no traffic
:biggrin:

chumpchange
2011-10-08, 00:20
bump.

anybody been lately?

Bearpaw
2011-10-08, 10:12
bump.

anybody been lately?

I hiked the Pinhoti through the Cohutta last December, but not the Jacks River Trail.

Hog On Ice
2011-10-08, 11:45
didn't Smokestack hit that trail recently? Maybe Mother Nature will chime in.

Mother Nature
2011-10-08, 19:19
DING! Mother Nature just got back from the Cheese Factory. Took my nephews out for their first overnighter. They are 22.

I kicked back.

Ya, Smokestack just got back from that area. We have done a lot of camping and hiking in that area. LOVE it. Will go back again again and again.

chumpchange
2011-10-09, 11:08
thanks, i will put it on the list.

urbansix
2011-10-09, 15:10
I did BMT section through the Cohutta and Big Frog earlier this summer. My 10-year old son and I did Jack's River last fall, as well. It was perfect.

chumpchange
2011-10-09, 16:23
how was the stretch through Big Frog?

urbansix
2011-10-09, 17:41
how was the stretch through Big Frog?

Here was my journal entry for that stretch (http://thinkcrust.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/bmt-day-6-thunder-rock/).

And also the (our) exchange over on the BMT thread (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6489).

Gaiter
2012-03-13, 23:05
bump

Any recommendations for overnight hike in the Cohutta, preferably using the Jack's River or Consasuga River Trails at some point... 14-20miles total, loop preferred but not required

chumpchange
2012-03-20, 12:05
plan on getting wet on either one of those trails. i think Rice Camp trail hooks up with both of them. or Beech Bottom trail down to JR falls...

maybe someone else could elaborate but i think quite a few go in at Dally Gap and do a loop hike.

i was on the Hickory Crk / Conasauga River trails weekend before last but I only went in a few miles and spent the night.

EDIT: here's some trail descriptions - http://www.greatgeorgiaproperties.com/Outdoor-adventures/Hiking-trails-of-the-Cohutta.htm

if you haven't already, go by the ranger station in Chatsworth and get a Cohutta/Big Frog Wilderness map for $5 or REI has them for $9 :-(
it's topo.