PDA

View Full Version : trail or camp amusements

Mutinousdoug
2008-06-12, 15:50
Hey,
I don't recall if this has been covered recently but what do you hikers bring along for times you are not perambulating, cooking, eating or sleeping?
I'm usually hiking toward or walking along a trout stream or lake so I carry a stupid amount of fly fishing gear and a .22 revolver if any grouse/rabbit/squirrel season is open (all my amusements revolve around eating stuff). If I carry a book; it's about edible mushroom or plant identification. Binoculars, bird books, romance novels?
You through hikers don't really just walk,eat,poop,sleep and repeat do you?

Geo.
2008-06-12, 20:51
You through hikers don't really just walk,eat,poop,sleep and repeat do you?

Yep.... Probably wouldn't even poop if it didn't get rid of weight. ;)

Nearly Normal
2008-06-13, 05:37
It takes me a while to get camp just so. Collect firewood, explore a little of the area. I really like camping by moving water and try to find sites that may have been used for hundreds of years. Some are obvious, others you never know. By the time I get through with the evening meal it is dark.
I like a fire and a comfortable place to sit, drink a little sour mash.
If it's by bigger water I'll set out a couple of hooks for a possible fish breakfast. I rarely get in a hurry.
If I'm in the Chattooga gorge I like to watch the morning come to the far bank. It always paints the tree tops with color and works its way down. It's pleasent to drink coffee, laze about, and watch the light change.
I'm easy to please, the wind in the trees is better than any TV show.

Amigi
2008-06-13, 06:54
Water = alligator, so I cant sleep near water. Dang it.

I usually bring a deck of cards with me. I must know 50 different kinds of solitaire. Books = weight, and MP3's = batteries = weight.

GuffAbbott
2008-06-13, 09:02
I enjoy the daily activities of backpacking, setting up camp, and cooking so much that I don't need to bring other forms of entertainment with me.

Seeker
2008-06-15, 00:30
if i'm not actively engaged in hiking, setting up camp, cooking, eating, exploring, or making camp more comfortable, i'm mostly just enjoying whatever's going on around me... sometimes it's loud and active, like a thunderstorm, or quite and slow, like watching a scorpion or a bird or whatever...

depending on where i'm going and what i want to do when i get there, sometimes i bring a camera, binos, plaster casting kit for tracks, magnifying glass, star chart, or a book. my books tend toward the philosophical/ spiritual, and it's easier to concentrate when your head's empty and your bodily needs are minimized...

i've also got a checkerboard drawn on one of my bandannas, and i cut some checkers/chessmen out of craft foam. also have a deck of mini-cards... those are for when i go with company, or a longer trip when we might get rained in for a few days.

probably wouldn't bring an mp3 player, but who knows... someday they'll make them light enough to be worth it...

Gruntacious
2008-06-19, 07:11
Whenever I find myself camping, I know I'll always have a giant sense of humor. I think it weighs... it must weigh... i dunno, but its just as good as any warm cup of coffee and a sunrise.

dropkick
2008-06-22, 08:06
Book(s) I'm a reader so to me the extra weight is worth it.
-And a camera.

Wise Old Owl
2008-06-30, 12:25
mp3 player built into the cell phone with an extra chip. & a extra battery

Frolicking Dino
2008-06-30, 14:31
I have been known to bring a key-tag size electronic device that has tic-tac-toe, hangman, and a few other simple games. It helps me relax and get ready for bed after the chores are done and helps me ride out waits under a tarp in serious rain.