PDA

View Full Version : Water Treatment

mattzcoz
2008-06-13, 11:38
My water filter recently crapped out. Actually, the girlfriend broke it while trying too hard to pump through a clogged filter while she was out on the AT - too tough for her own good.

So we're in the market for some new water filtration/treatment solution and are considering all options. I'm pretty familiar with most of the options and usual review sites, but today I was searching for the subject in conjunction with terms like "military" and "army".

I found a great .mil site that I want to share because it's a very well done, pretty comprehensive, scientific, thorough, and detailed look at water treatment, filters, and disinfection. Yes, I like the site. I registered here so I could tell other people about it.

The site is presented by the US Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine. The link is:
http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/WPD/CompareDevices.aspx

Be sure to check out the links in their side bar for further information on the subject.

Good luck and happy trails.

PS Sgt Rock -
Thanks for the site. It's been very useful over the years for info and sanity checks on various outdoor-related options being considered. Good community of users. If this post belongs in a different forum, please move it or let me know.

Amigi
2008-06-13, 18:53
Let's talk religion and politics next. :)

Just kidding. Keep using a filter. Just take better care of the new one.

Amigi
2008-06-13, 18:55
Hah, my Sweetwater was rated the best on Mattz link.

Take-a-knee
2008-06-27, 00:45
Hah, my Sweetwater was rated the best on Mattz link.

I'm filter shopping and I'm considering the Sweetwater. The tiny Katadyn has bad reviews, the scuttlebut is the MSR Hyperflow is problematic. The Sweetwater is the next lightest.

mattzcoz
2008-06-27, 01:35
I went with the MSR Hyperflow. The only downsides I came across was that you can't let it freeze and you have to backflush it routinely. I think many filters wouldn't deal well with freezing, and it's not normally an issue for me anyway.

You can see assembled and disassembled photos I took of it at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattzcoz/2610532823/.

Weights are listed below. (A wet/used filter weighs about 1/2 oz more than what's shown here.)

Grams Ounces
Filter Cartridge.........................23......0.8
Pump w/Filter...........................140......4.9
Pre-screen...............................17......0.6
Intake Hose..............................55......1.9
Bottle Adapter...........................36......1.3
Pouch....................................34......1 .2

Pump, filter, pre-screen, hose, pouch...246......8.7

Amigi
2008-06-27, 19:08
I'm filter shopping and I'm considering the Sweetwater. The tiny Katadyn has bad reviews, the scuttlebut is the MSR Hyperflow is problematic. The Sweetwater is the next lightest.

I've had mine ( this one ) for three years and only had it clog once. I would recommend a prefilter if you dont like green water at times. Doesnt really bother me anymore.

houdini
2008-06-28, 12:15
My old Waterworks is still going strong. I've been looking at the new MSR gravity filter - looks like you can avoid pumping entirely.

Amigi
2008-06-28, 20:16
My old Waterworks is still going strong. I've been looking at the new MSR gravity filter - looks like you can avoid pumping entirely.

Warning, it clogs rather easily. Gravity and all tends to make the particulates sink to the bottom...where the output is... Great on paper, bad in practice. Kinda like strapping wings to your arms and jumping off a cliff.:biggrin:

Wise Old Owl
2008-06-30, 10:39
Light is interesting, but if sweetwater isn't maintained it explodes through the lid at the top. I got so little use out of it...

I replaced mine with Hiker Pro.

houdini
2008-06-30, 11:32
Re:"Warning, it clogs rather easily. Gravity and all tends to make the particulates sink to the bottom...where the output is..."

I suspect that I might use the old nylon stocking pre-filter to solve the particulate problem. I pack one in my first aid kit as a general purpose kind of thing.

enviro
2008-06-30, 16:33
My water filter recently crapped out. Actually, the girlfriend broke it while trying too hard to pump through a clogged filter while she was out on the AT - too tough for her own good.

So we're in the market for some new water filtration/treatment solution and are considering all options. I'm pretty familiar with most of the options and usual review sites, but today I was searching for the subject in conjunction with terms like "military" and "army".

I found a great .mil site that I want to share because it's a very well done, pretty comprehensive, scientific, thorough, and detailed look at water treatment, filters, and disinfection. Yes, I like the site. I registered here so I could tell other people about it.

The site is presented by the US Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine. The link is:
http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/WPD/CompareDevices.aspx

Be sure to check out the links in their side bar for further information on the subject.

Good luck and happy trails.

PS Sgt Rock -
Thanks for the site. It's been very useful over the years for info and sanity checks on various outdoor-related options being considered. Good community of users. If this post belongs in a different forum, please move it or let me know.

I reviewed this report a while back and downloaded the entire report. (at least I think it's the same one). They did not include results for the Steripen and I e-mailed the author to ask why. He replied that they still had some additional tests to run on it and that the exclusion was not a condemnation of the steripen, but merely that they didn't have enough data.

Amigi
2008-07-03, 17:48
Research WB on the steripen. I did a pretty detailed report on it. It's a joke. The technology works, yes, but the application of the pen does not. The source of light only penetrates the water 1/4" with an effective killing field. It simply does not work when put into practice. If you dont believe me, call any water company that uses UV purification and ask them if the steripen would work.

CaSteve
2008-07-03, 21:57
Research WB on the steripen. I did a pretty detailed report on it. It's a joke. The technology works, yes, but the application of the pen does not. The source of light only penetrates the water 1/4" with an effective killing field. It simply does not work when put into practice. If you dont believe me, call any water company that uses UV purification and ask them if the steripen would work.

That's why Steripen tells you to swirl the water in the container around for a minute or so.

I own a Steripen, but I only use it while hiking up in the Sierras. I use my MSR Waterworks everywhere else. The MSR gives me more confidence. But the Steripen is ok for snow melt runoff in areas where there hasn't been any mining, so I tell myself.

Amigi
2008-07-04, 09:41
CaSteve, just do a minute or two of research about how water companies use UV to purify water. Then ask yourself is this possible for the steripen to do the same thing? Plus the steripen is an enviromental nightmare compared to a filter or Polar Pure. The thing eats batteries for B L and D.

JAK
2008-07-04, 10:05
That is a very useful link from mattzcoz. Lots of details under additional information.
I wish they had boiling water as a treatment, just to see how they would write it up.

mattzcoz
2008-07-05, 13:11
JAK - I think all they could say was that if you bring your water to a rolling boil, you'll kill any pathogens (bacteria & viral). It won't remove any mineral/chemical contamination, though it might create new compounds/forms of some of them. They would also note that it's a very time- and fuel-intensive method of purification more suitable as a backup/emergency method, and the rather flat taste of boiled water can be improved somewhat by aerating it through a process such as pouring it several times from one clean container to another. I'm sure there's more that could be said, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell as far as I know.

pure_mahem
2008-07-06, 05:17
For What it's worth I like my Hyperflow and would recomend it. Please consider I am a warm weather bird though. After a little thought though I don't see where too many water filters out there would be much good if you let them freeze!

Wise Old Owl
2008-07-30, 01:35
JAK - I think all they could say was that if you bring your water to a rolling boil, you'll kill any pathogens (bacteria & viral). It won't remove any mineral/chemical contamination, though it might create new compounds/forms of some of them. They would also note that it's a very time- and fuel-intensive method of purification more suitable as a backup/emergency method, and the rather flat taste of boiled water can be improved somewhat by aerating it through a process such as pouring it several times from one clean container to another. I'm sure there's more that could be said, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell as far as I know.

Sorry Mattzcoz, Boiling does not get rid of Billy Bryson Revenge!
here is a 10x slide of the problem...

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/BillBrysonRevenge.jpg

Darn... this isn't the AT hikers humor forum ...........NEVERMIND!

levicolemagic
2008-07-30, 18:38
I recently went on a camping trip in California. I was in the Sierra National Forest around Shaver Lake. I used the Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Micro filter and I though it worked great. I did put a micro fiber cloth around the intake so as not to get debris, but I don't think that is actually necessary.

SGT Rock
2008-07-30, 18:49
Treat with Kool-Aid.

cool breeze
2008-07-30, 22:01
I say treat it with bourban and call it a day.

MalTheElder
2008-07-30, 22:55
. . . Boiling does not get rid of Billy Bryson Revenge!

Mon, at 10x, just prefilter those critters with a bandanna :biggrin:

Best,
Mal

Wise Old Owl
2008-07-30, 23:52
Treat with Kool-Aid.

All kidding aside SGT ROCK,

My Pastor told me not to drink the Kool Aid! He said stick with wine & bad crackers.:albertein

MRH
2008-07-31, 00:28
Thanks for the site,,, very helpful.