PDA

View Full Version : my kind of ultralight knife...

JRiker
2008-06-14, 13:11
Found a good knife and figured I'd list is at ultralight because they made it with a hollow handle for all the gram weenies.

figured a few guys may want to look at these. cool thing for me is it's only around $25, so if it's no good I'll just give it to my brother in law.

http://cardinalgear.com/bowie-blade-bushman-knife.html

JRiker
2008-06-14, 13:12
oh yeah, in case you didn't guess, it's not UL at all with a 7" blade and over
1' long overall

kayak karl
2008-06-14, 19:17
Found a good knife and figured I'd list is at ultralight because they made it with a hollow handle for all the gram weenies.http://cardinalgear.com/bowie-blade-bushman-knife.html
i think the hollow handle is so you can put it on a stick, like a spear. i would buy it. put it on the shelf with the my KILL BILL sword:biggrin:

JRiker
2008-06-15, 13:21
the ultralight part was just meant to be a joke.

i'm more of a hike to camp kind of guy, as opposed to camp to hike, so i never quite got the supe UL thing. i pay attention to how much weight i carry, but i don't make too many sacrifices when it comes to comfort.

JRiker
2008-06-16, 16:07
got it in the mail. showed up sharp as hell. definitely a good knife, i like cold steel. now to see if i can use it to replace my hatchet too, i think i can.

kayak karl
2008-06-16, 23:23
got it in the mail. showed up sharp as hell. definitely a good knife, i like cold steel. now to see if i can use it to replace my hatchet too, i think i can.
can u make a spear out of it?

JRiker
2008-06-22, 18:50
ok, took it out this weekend. so here goes for my opinion.

you can make a spear out of it, but atlatl's are better and normally easier than a spear anyways. ever try getting within 10 yds of a deer?

as for my question about it, it could replace my hatchet, but not the easiest thing in the world to use as a hatchet, so i'll keep my hatchet. (it's actually more of a tomahawk, not a hatchet.)

did like the hollow handle though. filled one end with ball o' string, put in matches, etc, and then stoppered up the other end with paper.

that's about it. nice and sharp, works good. definitely what i'll carry from now on and what will stay with my truck survival pack.

oh yeah, it cut a watermelon pretty good too. my daughter looks so cute eating watermelon!

Streamweaver
2008-06-26, 11:45
Only problem with a hollow handle is it means the knife does not have a full tang,which is basically the backbone of the knife.So chopping with that sort of knife is not a good idea anyway since it could break in half under enough pressure.

JAK
2008-06-29, 07:16
I like a small hatchet also. Not so good for watermelon though.
Maybe I'll take a watermelon on my next day hike. Surprise everybody.

JRiker
2008-06-30, 16:21
stream, the difference with this knife is it's not a traditional hollow handle. basically they take a solid piece of steel with a very wide piece for the handle, and then roll the handle together in a big tube, then weld the seam. so the handle is still one piece with the blade, not a separate piece that is attached later. that's why i bought it, i hate those rambo knives...