PDA

View Full Version : Been building stoves

jimtanker
2008-07-09, 21:55
Damn this is hard work. I've pulled SDNCO twice this week so its given me plenty of time to get some stoves built. This is hard work.

4 Heiniken keg cans, 2 Fosters cans, and 12 Bud light cans. They have come out better than expected. I have 4 can stoves and 2 Cat stoves and am working on a Penny stove made from Hienies.

I would reccomend more experimentation in making stoves to anyone over the age of 21.

jimtanker
2008-07-10, 00:00
Just did a side by side test of the ION and a Super Cat that I just built.

Both stoves with 1 Oz. of HEET and a Hieniken pot with 2 cups of room temp water. Normal setup with reflector and wind screen.

Super Cat burned really hot and got the water almost to a boil before it burned out.(no timing here I was just messing around. Prob about 4 or 5 minutes.) Water was hot but no boil. Probably hot enough to freezer bag cook.

ION stove worked as normal. AWSOME. 1 OZ of fuel brought the 2 cups to a rolling boil without a pot lid in about 4 minutes and continued to boil for about 6 more minutes. That stove is a fuel miser. Going to try with just 1/2 Oz. tomorrow and see how it does. This stove just keeps burning and burning.

Thanks Rock! Love the stove.

JAK
2008-07-10, 00:11
I finally ordered an ION myself last week. I will still bring my Kelly Kettle on overnights, but I want to start messing around with the alcohol stove also and it doesn't hurt to carry both. Sometimes on day hikes in one of the city parks like Irving Nature Trail or Rockwood Park a small alcohol stove might be more discrete. I am going to try making my own ethanol for camping and running the ION on that. I am going to dig around and see if Rock did any tests with ethanol. Cheers.

FireFighter56
2008-07-10, 00:24
i keep meaning to order one from rock just havn't got to it yet...built a few but didn't like the way they coked....so still sticking with te good old Peak 1 ....till i order an ion :P

FireFighter56
2008-07-10, 00:25
and i thin a few keys are sticking on my laptop lol......

Amigi
2008-07-10, 17:12
I have used and still use my Peak 1 from time to time. Cant beat a JetBoil if you freezer bag.

oops56
2008-07-10, 17:58
I got jet boil cup only and got alcohol to work under it. Also some how my lid got to hot and did a little melt down. A wearever coffee pot lid fits it just a little inside sanding the model is 8 cup #3008

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves3/th_jetboilcover.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves3/jetboilcover.jpg)

incognito
2008-08-01, 00:29
Super Cat burned really hot and got the water almost to a boil before it burned out.(no timing here I was just messing around. Prob about 4 or 5 minutes.) Water was hot but no boil. Probably hot enough to freezer bag cook.

I love the supercat design, so simple yet such a power house of a stove. So simple a cave man can make it. It's one of my favorites.