PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Netting

Lone Cheeze
2008-07-11, 15:44
I'm going camping soon and I'd like to use my hammock rather than a tent, but I know I'll get eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Any suggestions on how I might set up a mosquito net around it?

Mutinousdoug
2008-07-11, 18:26
If you have a GI net, it is plenty big to just drape over your hammock and onto the ground. It's more convenient to have a ridgeline the length of your hammock to drape it over but not required. The mosquitos in Southeast Asia were generally too occupied with following your CO2 trail right to your face to figure out how to climb UNDER the hammock and get between that and your bug net. You should take my 38 year outdated advice with the cavat that I came back stateside with a case of malaria that required 7 days hospitalization.
I still have the bug net but I sleep in a Hennessy now (not that the mosquitos are particularly bad here in Colo [or carry malaria] but they DO carry West Nile virus).
HTH

Amigi
2008-07-11, 18:40
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

I own a very similar model I use this time of year during the rainy/mosquito season.

And yes, I still hike and camp in 95F heat. You get used to it. Just no more heat exhaustion this year.:D

CaSteve
2008-07-12, 01:24
but they DO carry West Nile virus).
HTH

Don't underestimate this risk. I can tell you from personal experience it's not pleasent, especially the older you get.

Mutinousdoug
2008-07-13, 00:11
Don't underestimate this risk. I can tell you from personal experience it's not pleasant, especially the older you get.

CaS,
Did not mean in my previous post to disparage the risk of WNV; only to illustrate the result of my youthful indiscretion. 30 some cases in Colorado last year yielded 5-6 deaths and I understand some of the survivors are not entirely well yet. Oh for a repeal of the ban on the measured use of DDT in these cases.
There are few reported cases here so far this year, but it's early and the season seems to be running late.

CaSteve
2008-07-13, 01:55
CaS,
Did not mean in my previous post to disparage the risk of WNV; only to illustrate the result of my youthful indiscretion. 30 some cases in Colorado last year yielded 5-6 deaths and I understand some of the survivors are not entirely well yet. Oh for a repeal of the ban on the measured use of DDT in these cases.
There are few reported cases here so far this year, but it's early and the season seems to be running late.

Doug,

Didn't mean to imply you hadn't grown wiser with age :)

My episode happened in 2003. I was working in downstate Illinois that summer and spent a few weeks fishing every night during the week. Despite using insect repellent (OFF or something like it), I must have been bitten by mosquitoes hundreds of times (from this I learned that DEET is a good thing). The state health officials said that there was low risk of WNV that year, although I think there was something like 800 cases the year before. I was stupid to ignore the warning sign of dead birds laying in the streets, etc.

Apparently people in their 20's might not even notice they have it, or it may seem like the flu. In your 40's you can get really sick, like I did. In your 60's it can be fatal.

It probably can't be eradicated from North America at this point.

I use a HH Explorer Ultralight. I've heard stories of mosquitoes biting thru the bottom of the hammock. It's never happened to me. Has anyone experienced this?

Amigi
2008-07-13, 11:32
http://www.junkscience.com/ddtfaq.html

If you find the debate about DDT interesting... Pay special attention to number 11. My father, who worked strongly against junk science at the UN ( to no avail ) always told me that this was the real reason DDT was banned.

Lone Cheeze
2008-07-14, 11:01
It's just more proof that people can't understand balance:
one minute they're spraying picnics with it,
then some lady thinks it's hurting birds,
and then it's banned completely despite the obvious benefits.

Nope, we can't find a middle ground and use it, but only as needed. That would be too smart.

pure_mahem
2008-07-16, 00:46
You can spray your hammock with permethian. It works ok, here for me but I don't have a big bug problem. Other options are you could get a bug bivy like that available from ENO eagles nest outfitters. There's a couple other manufacturers that make them too and they range in price some cheaper some more money around $50 though.

LuvTheWild
2008-08-09, 00:04
I also suggest you buy a Hennessy UltraLight. You probably saw my little review of it right above your message. Check out the video here: http://hennessyhammock.com/ (Scroll down to red print)

SGT Rock
2008-08-09, 07:18
I use a Hennessy during bug season.

Rosaleen
2008-08-18, 23:23
Mosquitoes can bite through the more open weave of the Exlporer Deluxe and Expedition models. The Hennessy Backpacker models use a more densely-woven bottom fabric that is much harder for them to penetrate. As another poster suggested, permethrin can help stop bite-through. It is both a repellent and insecticide. Don't put it on yourself, though: Your skin oils will deactivate permethrin.

Another thing that will help prevent mosquito bite-through is using a foam pad under you in the hammock. The little buggers can't penetrate those, either.

Rosaleen

mclmm
2008-08-18, 23:47
Up in the tropics I was sleeping in the HH just laying on a poncho liner. I've never been bitten through the bottom of the hammock.

I have had one nasty HH/Mosquito crossover experience though. We were in the Iron Range National Park near the end of the wet season. Iron Range is up on the pointy bit of Australia and is Australia's largest area of lowland rainforest.

During the night my foot had slipped under the poncho liner and through the opening. While hundreds of mossies got a free buffet, about thirty or so others managed to get inside the hammock, leaving me with a badly swollen eyelid and bites on all exposed skin.

Watch your feet using a HH in mossie country.

Rosaleen
2008-08-19, 07:49
Some of us like to hang our Hennessys with the foot end slightly higher than the head end. It helps keep a foot from finding its way through the slit, as well as helping reduce swollen feet from a day of walking.

Rosaleen

MalTheElder
2008-08-26, 01:49
FWIW, I've never been bug-bitten inside my HH, despite a few yet unmended rips in the netting, in the 2+ yrs. I've had it. I'm deep in Florida mosquito territory, and the hammock is pretty much always in use (I have a BIG back yard).

Sitting on the hammock (outside) I usually keep the skeeters off with DEET, with a twist. I spray it on the netting behind me and the hammock body underneath. If they're especially persistent I spray my clothes, shoes and hat. Most of the time that let's me get away with not spraying my skin. YMMV, though.

Best,
Mal

mclmm
2008-08-26, 06:13
Damn Mal, which model HH do you have? Not sure I'd like to try spraying DEET directly onto the body of my ultralite backpacker a-sym. I've melted an ALICE pack pocket with Aus mil DEET.

+1 on spraying your clothes though. After the famous Iron Range HH/Mosquito crossover, I've taken to sleeping with socks on and spraying them.

Cheers,

Rosaleen
2008-08-26, 08:52
Mal-

I'm glad that you have had good luck, so far, with spraying DEET on your hammock, but I would advise against it. DEET tends to dissolve many materials. I think the shock-cord tieouts that some Thru-Hikers were asking Tom Hennessy to replace at some Trail Days exhibits had deteriorated from DEET on their hands while handling the cord.

Permethrin, such as found in Repel (check labels), is a safer product for clothing and gear. Permethrin is a synthesized version of the chemical produced by chrysanthemums. It repels and kills insects. Don't apply it to your skin, though, as our skin oils deactivate it.

Cheers!

Rosaleen

MalTheElder
2008-08-28, 01:34
I hear y'all.

I should have mentioned that I spray the DEET very lightly, and about a foot or so away from the hammock body. More of a misting than a spraying, just about enough to run the skeeters off before they get too thick. I treat the gear with permethrin as well a few times each year, but more to repel ticks and other crawlies. But again, YMMV, so do test the DEET first before you spray down your gear.

The HH in question is an Expedition Asym, in almost continuous use for over 2 years now. I've resewed rips in the netting and patched wear holes in the bed, and finally had to replace the tie-out cords. Not too bad!

Other things to which I've subjected my poor gear: I've had cats sleep with me, this past Spring found that sparrows had nested in the bottom JRB weather shield (Jack's take note! wildlife approved!) when I was too ill to get outside for a couple of weeks, and left it pitched during the late tropical storm, among other abuses :biggrin:. My gear lives an interesting life, even when I can't.

Thanks for the feedback,
Mal

MalTheElder
2008-08-28, 01:36
. . . I've melted an ALICE pack pocket with Aus mil DEET. . . .

Wow! What strength is that Oz DEET? I'm just using the 25% stuff.

Best,
Mal

JewDuh
2008-09-09, 08:24
Wow! What strength is that Oz DEET? I'm just using the 25% stuff.

Best,
Mal

When I did an exercise in the Philipines I was issued an aresol DEET pre-treater for my clothing, The istructions warned that it would burn the shin, so wear gloves. You were supposed to aply a thick layer 2 the clothes, then wash them at least 2 times, then they would be safe to wear.

I actualy asked if something like that would cause cancer, and the response I got was, "Probably, but the mosquitoes will deff. kill you!"

MalTheElder
2008-09-09, 13:58
When I did an exercise in the Philippines I was issued an aerosol DEET pre-treater for my clothing, . . .

Enlighten us further. Is this a 100% DEET spray, or is there something extra in it? In other words, can I improvise my own? Oh, yes---how well did this stuff work? I'm a Florida boy, and it sounds choice.

"Probably, but the mosquitoes will deff. kill you!"And can scar you up pretty well, too. I've got three bites still healing from 2 months ago---I scratched 'em. Diabetics don't heal worth a damn. Oh, well. . . .

Best,
Mal

JewDuh
2008-09-19, 18:44
I'm Double Sorry Mal,

1st I'm sorry that I haven't replied to your question in a while... I didn't notice the post. and I'm secondly sorry, because I don't have an answer for you. It has been 6 years since I had to use that spray, and I have lost it since then (Military moves are rough on keeping all of your gear, no matter how hard you try) I don't know concentrations or additional chemicals. I do know that everyone that had used it befor swore by it, and I assume that if you know any one doing anything tropical in the military they can find the stuff. (Or they can find some one who does). Other than that all I can do is tell you what I remember.

The spray can looked ancient, (OK, like 20 yrs old ATLEAST... for chemicals I consider that ancient) It must have been in a warehouse forever. They also gave us a tube of anti insect cream (I think I've seen that in surplus stores, or in the stuff that my father picked up at surplus stores once upon a time), and I used both very lightly, and I didn't have a single run in with a mosquito.

But my light use of 2 repelents may not be the only reason for this. as I already mentioned, I was concerned about the long term health effects of the chemicals, but I noticed how excesively all of my companions were using the chemicals, and I knew there would be (to some extent) an 'area effect' from several hundred super insect repelent Marines. I just wanted to use enough to blend into the background noise (So to speak). The other reason is, I wasn't in a really heavy mosquito area while I was there. I was one of those "4 and Out, POGs" (I did my 4 year enlistment and got out, POGs 'Persons Other than Grunts') and I spent all of my time in command units. Even when I went to the Phillipines I ended up staying in a hotel (Hey it's not my fault I practically maxed out the ASVAB, and EDPT I just did what I was told). But seriously, I tried to get my hands dirty, and Uncle Sam decided he wanted me working on "White Gear"

I doubt I've been any help. I hope I've atleast been good reading :beer:
Judah

MalTheElder
2008-09-21, 14:59
I'm Double Sorry Mal, . . .

De nada, chico. I can always get ambitious and spend a mo' googling for info, eh? Of course the only problem with bug-proofing my clothes is that I get 'em off as soon as possible once outside. Mid-Florida in Summer, dig? Ever seen a mosquito drown in your sweat?
But hey! We're under 90F this week, so it's all good :beer:

Best,
Mal

JDBaughman
2012-08-01, 22:15
Ok this might be a dead topic (Cuffs, wink) but I'm gonna heat it up!

So Rock, I have a question. I am working on a modified version of your bug sock, except I want sewn channels on both ends and an entrance on the bottom.

Like this:

My question is this, how do you sew channels into the netting? How do you see the netting together? I have everything, just kinda lost right at the start..

Lugnut
2012-08-01, 22:30

SGT Rock
2012-08-01, 22:46
Ok this might be a dead topic (Cuffs, wink) but I'm gonna heat it up!

So Rock, I have a question. I am working on a modified version of your bug sock, except I want sewn channels on both ends and an entrance on the bottom.

Like this:

My question is this, how do you sew channels into the netting? How do you see the netting together? I have everything, just kinda lost right at the start..

Just sew it like you would normal fabric.

JDBaughman
2012-08-01, 23:00
You do realize your Social Security # is on that drawing? :albertein

That's not a social security number. Its a phone number to a gentleman that works for a company that helps find jobs for veterans.

Come on, give me some credit here!?! I might be a jarhead, but I ain't that jar headed!

Rock, but how do you keep it from bunching up? Don't you need the needle to do like a side to side pattern..?

SGT Rock
2012-08-01, 23:02
I've never had a problem doing it with a standard stitch.

Lugnut
2012-08-01, 23:18
That's not a social security number. Its a phone number to a gentleman that works for a company that helps find jobs for veterans.

Come on, give me some credit here!?! I might be a jarhead, but I ain't that jar headed!

Rock, but how do you keep it from bunching up? Don't you need the needle to do like a side to side pattern..?

Noticed that on second look. My apologies. I can't do anything about the jar head thing though. :aetsch:

Bearpaw
2012-08-02, 00:05
I can't do anything about the jar head thing though. :aetsch:

It's OK, Lugnut. Just say you're skeered. :burnout:

We Marines usually scare folks for one reason or another.

Lugnut
2012-08-02, 09:18
Well, of the two on here that I do know: one has a teddy bear as a best friend and the other shits his pants. I have to admit it's kinda scary! :ahhhhh:

Big Mac
2012-08-02, 11:11
Well, of the two on here that I do know: one has a teddy bear as a best friend and the other shits his pants. I have to admit it's kinda scary! :ahhhhh:

+2 for Luggy.

JDBaughman
2012-08-03, 00:10
So I finished my Bug net:

I have cinch cords on the head and foot:

And I have a cinch cord at the bottom for my entry. It, Once cinched up, will hug the bottom of my hammock as I lay in it:

My bug net as a whole:

SGT Rock
2012-08-03, 04:10
When are we going to see it on a hammock?

JDBaughman
2012-08-03, 08:15
Today. I have not put it on a hammock yet. I literally took your measurements, and added 10" on length and 5" on height. I'm sure it will work just fine because of the shock cording... I'll post pics up this afternoon

Big Mac
2012-08-03, 08:25
I can't wait . . .

JDBaughman
2012-08-03, 16:32
Sarcasm

Hog On Ice
2012-08-03, 17:45
ya think?

Skidsteer
2012-08-03, 17:59
Big Mac sarcastic?

Nawwww.

Hog On Ice
2012-08-03, 18:15
yeah - once a narrow minded ground dweller - always a narrow minded ground dweller

JDBaughman
2012-08-03, 18:23
Well here it is. Keep in min that I've never sewn a damned thing... it works nice. The entrance hugs the bottom of the hammock when I lay in it. Works like a charm. 426642674268

Big Mac
2012-08-03, 19:46
Big Mac sarcastic?

Nawwww.

Not me. :-)

Big Mac
2012-08-03, 19:47
yeah - once a narrow minded ground dweller - always a narrow minded ground dweller

WhatTheFuckEver

Big Mac
2012-08-03, 19:49
Well here it is. Keep in min that I've never sewn a damned thing... it works nice. The entrance hugs the bottom of the hammock when I lay in it. Works like a charm. 426642674268

Whew, the anticipation was killing me.

SGT Rock
2012-08-03, 20:28
Looks good. How well does it seal when you are in it?

JDBaughman
2012-08-03, 20:53
Whew, the anticipation was killing me.

Bahahaha ASS

JDBaughman
2012-08-03, 20:54
Looks good. How well does it seal when you are in it?

It's about 8-10" too long... So I'm going to have to trim it up an make new channels...

Big Mac
2012-08-03, 22:39
Bahahaha ASS

That's me.

(just messin' around)

JDBaughman
2012-08-03, 23:26
I know

JDBaughman
2012-08-03, 23:33
Rock, however, the net hugs the side of the hammock pretty well. The bottom hangs too low so it doesn't cinch around the bottom of the hammock (my butt area), like I had envisioned, when I lay in it... I'm pleased with it.

It is functional though and I only paid about $15 total for it... Maybe less. Testing it tonight in the backyard

SGT Rock
2012-08-04, 04:40
Sounds sweet. What does it weigh?

Hog On Ice
2012-08-04, 06:30
Sounds sweet. What does it weigh ...

... in grams?

sheepdog
2012-08-04, 09:27
Bahahaha ASS

That's me.

(just messin' around)

about 8-10" too long... .

that's me

Hog On Ice
2012-08-04, 10:30
+1 for sheepdog - great innuendo

JDBaughman
2012-08-04, 13:15
Sounds sweet. What does it weigh?

No idea, and no way to test it... I'd say about as much as my poly rain fly... Maybe a little less

"Backpacking forces one, by necessity, to walk the balance line, the edge of the sword, between disciplined deprivation and hedonistic gratification: a tiring, sweat-soaking day ends with a plunge into a cool stream; an arduous, lung-bursting climb is followed by a magnificent panoramic sweeping view; and there is the continuous contrast between sacrifice and satisfaction that one finds fulfillment." - Robert Brown

Cuffs
2012-08-04, 14:45
Too. Many. Words.

Nearly Normal
2012-08-04, 17:24
The grocer, local feed and seed or post office might weigh it .....if you ask nicely.

JDBaughman
2012-08-04, 17:31
The grocer, local feed and seed or post office might weigh it .....if you ask nicely.

I might try that.

And those are my signature... I couldn't just paraphrase it... It had to be the whole thing

"Backpacking forces one, by necessity, to walk the balance line, the edge of the sword, between disciplined deprivation and hedonistic gratification: a tiring, sweat-soaking day ends with a plunge into a cool stream; an arduous, lung-bursting climb is followed by a magnificent panoramic sweeping view; and there is the continuous contrast between sacrifice and satisfaction that one finds fulfillment." - Robert Brown

Superman
2012-08-04, 17:46
I might try that.

And those are my signature... I couldn't just paraphrase it... It had to be the whole thing

Yeah, it's a bit long. I would suggest something more like "I kill mice." 8)

Hog On Ice
2012-08-04, 18:18
or I like eggs.

JDBaughman
2012-08-04, 19:09
Is this better?

I <3 (. Y .)

Cuffs
2012-08-04, 19:14
Penis.

Lugnut
2012-08-04, 19:15

Lugnut
2012-08-04, 19:17
Is this better?

I <3 (. Y .)

Much better! :adore:

JDBaughman
2012-08-04, 19:49
vagina.

Cuffs
2012-08-04, 19:56
You don't know how to play the game very well.

JDBaughman
2012-08-05, 13:32
Ehhhh I'm not into games... So your right

I <3 (. Y .)

JDBaughman
2012-08-08, 19:40
Made a bug net stuff sack out of left over bugnet material

Skidsteer
2012-08-08, 20:02

That should work great for keeping the mosquitoes off your Nalgene.

Superman
2012-08-08, 20:22
that should work great for keeping the mosquitoes off your nalgene.

lmao

Cuffs
2012-08-08, 23:06
Hahaha! Skids made a funny!

mudhead
2012-08-09, 10:49

Save some scrap for repairs. Not that you would ever stab it with a stick...:)

JDBaughman
2012-08-09, 21:49
Well, I'm using it to actually stuff the bugnet inside it... But yea, nalgene, I'll look into that ASAP ;)

I <3 (. Y .)