PDA

View Full Version : Class 4 Day

rickboudrie
2003-01-20, 10:03
Unique to Baxter State Park in Maine, a posting of a "Class 4 Day" means that the Rangers have officially closed Katahdin, typically because of weather conditions.

SGT Rock
2003-01-20, 11:57
Rick (or anyone else that knows),

As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong) a class 4 day actually means closed unless you have special equipment and the Rangers have assured you know what you are doing.

And, is there anything higher than a class 4?

rickboudrie
2003-01-20, 12:45
Sgt Rock, I don't know the answer to your question. What you may be thinking of is the fact that the park requires winter climbers to be properly equiped. I think there a required BSP permit that speaks to that. I have no personal experience with that.

You will note that I deleted my definitions of Class 1, 2 and 3 days from my initial post. Looks like I didn't get them exactly right. In fact, if I understand the BSP website correctly, my definition of Class 4 wasn't exactly right either. I left it up as a reminder to myself that I'm not always 100% right. But I'm usually close ;-).

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/classification.html

If I understand the BSP web site, class 4 is when all the trails are closed, and Class 3 is when some are closed.