PDA

View Full Version : Choose yer weapons

SGT Rock
2003-01-20, 19:09
What is your hammock?

Hikerhead
2003-01-20, 21:16
I have a Clark and a Hennessey. I've never heard of half of these Hammocks, it will be interesting to hear something about them.

SGT Rock
2003-01-20, 21:53
I think the big 4 are: Hennessy, Clark, Speer, and Crazy Crib. The rest are camping hammocks that are out there. there are a few more very small modles out there.

Check this out: http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html it has links to some of these manufacturers.

Hikerhead
2003-01-20, 23:59
Thanks. That was interesting.

Hog On Ice
2003-01-21, 13:23
There are so many varieties of Hennessy Hammocks that it might be interesting just in the break down of that distribution. For example I suspect I am one of the few that hikes with a 2000 Safari Deluxe.

SGT Rock
2003-01-21, 15:18
Well I have a max question limit of 10. Other manufacturers have more than one model too, so maybe there needs to be another thread for the big four for specific model.

Homer
2003-01-25, 12:28
I once had this magical hammock that would clone me.

flyfisher
2003-02-12, 16:20
Well, it was interesting that I could only vote for one! I started a couple weeks ago with a HH. Slept one night on it and was happy. :)Then I built a Speer hammock from his book. I was happier. :D Looks like I am the first to respond that I am using the Speer hammock.

<><

SGT Rock
2003-02-12, 17:03
When I get a chance, I'll reset your vote.

SGT Rock
2003-02-12, 18:13
Disregard, I miss read that message. Your good. I've got to make one of those Speer Hammocks this summer.

SGT Rock
2003-02-15, 12:09
GEt you vots in, I plan to put a new poll on the front page soon. I think tonight at 2000 will be a stove poll.

Hammock Hanger
2003-02-24, 19:40
Love Ed Speers... Think he has worked on a good thing... Though I remain a Hennessy Girl myself. Met "ECT CHris" out on my hike a few weeks back. He says he loves his Speers hammock. Plans on taking it all the way to Canada. HH

MinnesotaSmith
2004-11-24, 14:43
Anyone who says "I always sleep in my XYZ-brand hammock while hiking" has just told the world they sleep alone 100% of the time while hiking, don'tchathink? :embarasse :biggrin:

peter_pan
2004-11-25, 14:25
MinnesotaSmith,

Open your mind to the possibilities of truly superb comfortable sleep in the woods. Hammocks rock. FYI, there is an entire book written on the subject of "S_ _ in a Hammock". After a few sweaty days of hiking there is merit to a little separation for slumber, fresh air is what it is all about....IMHO. :biggrin:

MinnesotaSmith
2004-11-25, 14:49
I am actually seriously considering getting a Hennessy. The ability to camp (especially stealth camp) in almost any terrain that has trees is a BIG plus IMO to the idea. Still, though, I think I'm onto something with my wisecrack above; no hammock camper gets wakened the nicest way :love: while on the Trail by any SO, surely; the physics just can't possibly permit it... :bawling:

Lanthar
2004-11-26, 13:54
I am actually seriously considering getting a Hennessy. The ability to camp (especially stealth camp) in almost any terrain that has trees is a BIG plus IMO to the idea. Still, though, I think I'm onto something with my wisecrack above; no hammock camper gets wakened the nicest way :love: while on the Trail by any SO, surely; the physics just can't possibly permit it... :bawling:

um, they do make hammocks big enough for two...

woodrat
2004-12-25, 02:16
I know that you guys will think I have spun a brain bearing, but I have been contemplating making a hammock system big enough to support my 7x7 dome tent if you have ever camped on oregon coast in winter you,ll understand why.!!

Redleg
2004-12-25, 13:21
The urge to build a treehouse never fades. One thing to remember is not to "set up"to high, the wind off the bar blows up. You could get wet from the bottom up, reguardless.
It doesn't get quite that wet on this side of the state,
jaf

woodrat
2004-12-30, 19:05
I am watching you guys input here with great interest. I have not used hammocks much in civilian life ,{ but regularly slept in one slung in APC.}. the commercial ones I have looked at in catlogs and on the net look pretty nice, but pricey, not that thats a problem in itself. my concern is how readly is someone elses design going to be to the inevitable modification that I go thu with off the shelf products. also I have never gotten away from subdued colors and most of commercial ones are too gaudy for me!!. you guys obviusly have considerable accumlated klowledge in this area so I will be happy to have your advice on this since I do not plan on purchasing one for 2 or 3 months yet.

SGT Rock
2004-12-30, 20:04
Hennessy is my favorite.You can get it in a nice subdued cyote brown. I also tried a Clark that was forest green, but that wasn't the ultralight.

katesdad
2005-01-29, 15:31
I'm based in the UK and decided to take you up on the idea of using a hammock.

As this was an experiment, and that I'm an adult instructor on a budget (yep 'she who must be obeyed' determined this wan't a priority .. quite how the female psyche works still evades me 35 years later!!), I opted for a look in ebay.

I found someone unloading a hammock that bore a strong similarity to the Hennessy you crow about so much. I didn't need a fly as I've already got a couple of superb British Army ripstop basha's. The price was right, and couple of days later it arrived. The previous owner publishes a monthly kayak and canoeing magazine, and had been sent this hammock to review. The review done, in which they rated it a superb idea, they were unloading it to top up the coffee fund. That's where I came in.

Well Rock, you've got a convert!! Even in mid January, this gave me one of the best night's sleep I've had in the open in years (I think the best was after half a bottle of sippin' whiskey somewhere in the Blue Ridge, where is still a bit fuzzy!). This night was helped by a good wind break, a Thermarest, and a Snug Pak Antarctica sleeping bag.

For those mere mortals on a budget, the Pro Pod represents a useful alternative to some of the more expensive models. I've since read that a lot of British troops 'in the Sand' are finding the Pro Pod a better night's sleep than a foam mat in the dust.

Keep pluggin'

Larry

SGT Rock
2005-01-29, 20:43
Welcome to the hammock faithful. What sort of Whiskey do you tend to drink in the UK, and since you were here in the US, what American brand (if any) appealed to you?

katesdad
2005-01-30, 03:33
Sarge

George Dickel (you being in Tennessee are lucky enough to have this on tap!) when I'm home (Virginia), and any Speyside single malt when I'm over here.

Though good Tennessee whiskey is available over here. At a pinch my local supermarket carries JD, of which I cast no dispertions, I'll fallen off many a barstool after a touch of the stuff.

That said, no one makes beer like the Brits!

Larry

SGT Rock
2005-01-30, 12:04
I'll look around for some of that single malt. I also know what you mean about JD, so much brand recognition so it can be found anywhere.

Personally my current favorite is Maker's Mark. But that isn't Tennessee whiskey, it's Kentucky Bourbon.

The Hammocker
2005-01-30, 13:17
I must say that is quite a subject change(LOL)! :biggrin:

Major Slacker
2005-02-08, 00:09
For cold weather, a Byer of Maine Traveller -- 10.5 oz., $17 -- and for buggy weather, a Byer Moskito Traveller -- 15 oz., $40. For a tarp -- Equinox silnylon extended poncho -- 9 (?) oz., $40.

MalTheElder
2005-02-27, 14:39
Just startng out using a Byer Traveler and cheapo tarp. So far so good, until more 'skitos hatch out. It's about 80F and raining here in South Florida, so that won't be long in coming. I see my next purchase will be noseeum netting, eh.

I plan to either build or buy one of Ed Speer's rigs, and hang the Byer as my home bed and an extra for friends.

Keep swingin'
Mal

Major Slacker
2005-02-28, 23:20
Just startng out using a Byer Traveler and cheapo tarp. So far so good, until more 'skitos hatch out. It's about 80F and raining here in South Florida, so that won't be long in coming. I see my next purchase will be noseeum netting, eh.
The Byer Moskito Traveller has a bug net, but it's not noseeum. I'm thinking of replacing the net on mine.

Today at Target I found a foam mattress pad about the size of my Byer hammock. I zipped it inside the mosquito netting, flipped the hammock over and took it for a test drive on the balcony. The temperature was 35, but with the foam I was warm enough just wearing jeans, t-shirt and a fleece vest. I might check it out again tonight with a sleeping bag. I don't know yet how much the foam weighs. I stuffed the hammock and pad into a compression sack so I could weigh it on my wife's diet scale, but it maxed out the scale's 3 pound limit.
I plan to either build or buy one of Ed Speer's rigs, and hang the Byer as my home bed and an extra for friends.
Speer's hammocks have a big overhand knot in the fabric at each end, requiring something like an extra yard or two of fabric. A sheet bend knot and three to six inches of extra fabric at each end are all you really need. Posts on some of the other threads also recommend securing the sheet bend with two half hitches.

MalTheElder
2005-03-01, 00:20
The Byer Moskito Traveller has a bug net, but it's not noseeum. I'm thinking of replacing the net on mine. [snipped...] Noseeum is mandatory down here. Skeeters will carry you off into the Glades to feed the gators, otherwise. Possibly I can just copy the net for the Byer in noseeum. It sounds like the Byer works pretty well for you.

I'd noticed the knots in the end of the Speer's rig, which does put me off a bit. The thing that really juices me about it is being able to use something like a PeaPod. While it doesn't get too nasty this far south, north of Gainesville, where I love to camp, it can get downright cold.

Thanks for the feedback,
Mal

GregH
2005-03-08, 23:01
I've used a Hennessy Expedition 2.5 for nearly 5 years and just upgraded to a new Explorer Ultralight Asym for my trips this year.

CanoeCamper
2005-07-13, 12:58
HH Safari Deluxe A-Sym.
Big guy = Big hammock!

Love the fact that I can make camp almost anywhere along the river!!

weekender
2005-09-05, 11:39
Im a recent convert to hammocks and have got a HH exp D had my first weekend in it this wkend just gone it was great!!! truly converted no more sleeping with my feet sticking out of the door in the morning. "swing low sweet hammock of mine . . . . "

dropkick
2005-09-07, 03:06
Made several hammocks over the years but none light enough for hiking.
I always take them camping and use in the yard.

Because of this site I am currently building a hiking hammock.
It is going very slowly as my sewing machine died at the start of my efforts and I haven't yet got another.
I am building a double layer hammock so as to have a place to put my pads/insulation where they won't slip around and leave cold spots.
I am suspending it with 1/2 inch webbing instead of using rope as that is what I had handy that was strong enough, not strechy, and light weight.
Haven't traveled to town yet to buy the material for my net and rain fly, but will be going soon.
-Am still considering several different designs for the net.

Hollowdweller
2005-10-28, 18:09
I dearly love sleeping in a hammock, but 99% of the time my wife goes backpacking with me so I seldom use one.

Seeker
2005-10-29, 19:16
so why not two hammocks?

Sgathak
2005-10-29, 20:23
I dont kow about Hollowdweller, but my wife wouldnt much cotton to us sleeping seperatly.

wanashunkaha
2005-10-29, 21:01
I use a Byer traveler modified with bugnet

Seeker
2005-10-30, 00:36
I dont kow about Hollowdweller, but my wife wouldnt much cotton to us sleeping seperatly.

even camping? i mentioned something like this on WB a few months back, to a guy who wanted to sleep with his girlfriend in a hammock... maybe i'm old... but i couldn't deal with being that close to someone all night... bad enough sleeping so close to the other two guys in a tank turret, with the gunner between your knees, and everyone stinkin'... ick.

you could always hang off the same tree at the head end, and tie off the foot end to two trees sort of close to each other, so you'd be close (enough)...

Sgathak
2005-10-30, 01:14
Especially camping.

As Hollowdiver said, "so I rarely use one". Sharing a hammock that long at night is no fun. But she doesnt want to sleep in seperate places (and yes, sharing a tree still means sleeping seperatly) out in the woods, especially since she isnt a backpacker to begin with. When we both camp, its unfotunatly "car camping" but it is still camping, complete with bears and mtn lions, and all the other things that go bump in the night.

She doesnt feel comfortable sleeping alone, I dont feel comfortable sharing a hammock, and they dont make a hammock comfortable for 2.

Id wager alot of other people are in similar boats.

Maybe if one of the hammock manufacturers came up with a light, yet durable hammock designed to sleep 2 comfortably..... but alas they dont.

Seeker
2005-10-30, 01:22
yes, i understand about the boogyman, bears, and such... mine won't go with me at all, though she lets me go pretty much whenever i want... she's hinted that car camping might be ok, so i guess you're lucky to get her that far... may be a small price to pay for the company... and maybe i'll just have to quit being stubborn and submit to car camping vs backpacking, at least until she gets the bug...

bird dog
2005-11-02, 20:11

Newlywed? Im on my second marriage and find myself sleeping by myself more and more often. They both say its me, but I think Im just misunderstood!!!
:rolleyes: