PDA

View Full Version : Roll call for paddlers

Turk
2008-07-30, 01:47
Over on hammockforums there was recently a roll call for members that are also kayakers or canoists. That got me wondering about the population over here.

This thread shall be the dedicated greeting thread for backpackers that also do paddle trips.

So how bout it. Let us know who you are, and what you paddle, where you go, some pics etc.

Also any pack rafters hiding over here yet ?

Turk
2008-07-30, 01:48
Guess i'll start.

Hello my name is Turk .... and um ... I'm a paddle-a-holic

Current Boats:
2x Alpacka Yukon Yak packrafts
Wilderness Systems Ripper SOT
Necky Crux creek boat
Ocean Kayak Frenzy SOT
Coleman 16ft royalex canoe

So ya, thanks. Hope there are more out there.
couple of recent picshttp://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/3/7/packrafts_08.jpg

JAK
2008-07-30, 02:00
I am more of a small boat sailer, but I am a paddler also.
Don't have my own pics but I got one of these, got it cheap...
http://www.seaknife.com/sk17.htm

Paddle on St.John River system and Bay of Fundy.

CaSteve
2008-07-30, 02:28
I'm a canoeist. Don't own one, just rent what I need. Recently did an 8 day trip down the Green River through Canyonlands NP.

Thinking about a packraft.

Turk, how did you go about sizing your packraft. I'm confused by Alpacka's sizing info. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam. Not sure if I should get a Yak or Denali Llama.

GGS
2008-07-30, 11:49
I am a paddler wannabe.

I have a Stearns inflatable canoe that I play with. I've paddled around Lake Ovid and Tahquamenon River but no serious packing trip or anything. But I'd like to.

rbd
2008-07-30, 12:16
I canoe the NY Finger Lakes, Adirondacks and Alleghney Nat'l Forrest in PA with a Wenonah Solo Plus that I've used with 1, 2 and 3 people in it. For campling, it makes a great solo cargo canoe as long as you're planning to stay on the same body of water. My wife has reciently taken an interest in camping (she's never been in a canoe) so when we retire I'll most likely switch to boat camping - looking for a 16 foot open boat with a 10-15 hp engine. In order to reach more isolated locations, I've also been wondering about an outboard that uses jet water propulsion instead of a prop. Anybody ever had any experiance with them? How are they in 4 inches of water, hitting rocks & tree stumps, etc. I'm now interested in finding locations where primitive boat camping is allowed. Not only in the US, but also in Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba. Attached pics from solo & group trips in NY & PA.

Mutinousdoug
2008-07-30, 14:38
I built this in 2003. It's a 16 footer and weighs 60# so it really doesn't get its sea legs until there's about 400# aboard. I got a date to take my daughter and the granddaughter out for a couple of days in August, otherwise it day trips on the local reservoirs.
I'd like to get it out on the Colorado or Green rivers but organizing a shuttle has been a problem so far.

General
2008-07-30, 18:46
i paddle the chattahoochee a good bit, seeing how it is in the front yard, chatooga some, the nantahala, the green, the french broad, and the oconee. maybe a few creeks that i would never admit to. i have only canoes now. kayaks suck, they make me bleed.

old town h2pro, solo boat
blue hole, tandem
old town discovery, tantem, it's not mine but it lives here
kayak, mystery boat

i used to like savage kayaks especially the gravity, they are hard to find these days though

dgrav
2008-07-30, 19:23
Just got into kayaking this season. I live on the Neshaminy creek which offers some good day trips. Look for other options local and not so local.

Wilderness Systems Tsunami 125

General
2008-07-30, 23:00
by the way, a wine bottle cork makes a great drain plug for a kayak, if you so happen to have a wine cork on you, which i would never leave home without.

Wise Old Owl
2008-07-30, 23:26
General, have you ever done that? - the cork would work it's way out on some of the stuff I have paddled.

MRH
2008-07-31, 01:37
The small boats I have are:
Kayak Dagger zydeco
kayak Dagger mamba
kayak preception swifty (for wife)
canoe 16ft GrayRock Royalex

When I fish the backwaters I made a little bracket that I can put on and take off in 2 minutes thats for a 30lb thrust trolling-motor. Has rope stearing and a on/off big-foot switch... But when taking a float trip, I don't put it on.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/skindive_11/canoe/100_0689.jpg http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/skindive_11/canoe/100_0691.jpg

kayak karl
2008-07-31, 19:16
No surprise! i have 2 sea, 3 ocean and a toy. i kayak the pine barrens and the Delaware near the Del Mem Bridge.
this is my son and i on the Mulica River below Batsto.

General
2008-07-31, 19:30
General, have you ever done that? - the cork would work it's way out on some of the stuff I have paddled.

oh yeah. wrap a little duct tape around it and screw it in like the real plug. it'll work for years.

Bulldawg
2008-07-31, 19:35
General, I've often thought about taking up canoeing since we live so close to some very nice places to canoe. I've just never had any other takers to canoe with or to learn from. What would it take to let me borrow a canoe and take a lesson or three, a case of beer maybe? If it bites me right, I might go out and buy one.

levicolemagic
2008-07-31, 20:18
I have been in a kayak a couple of times but I would love to try it out as for as a long trip goes.

JCW
2008-07-31, 20:28
I have a beater Grummin aluminum canoe. Plenty of lakes and protected salt water up here (WA. State). My all out hands down favorite is floating/paddling down the Skagit river.

Footslogger
2008-07-31, 23:22
BadAss Turtle and I have a couple Perception Swifty's. Not the most maneuverable kayaks but tons of fun and super stable. We've shot the "Hootch" (Chatahoochie in Atlanta) and several other rivers in them. Out here we mainly take them in the lakes. A couple weeks ago some other 2003 AT hikers stopped in. They had ocean kayaks and the four of paddled Lake Granby down in Colorado ...

'Slogger

Geo.
2008-08-03, 05:56
Here's my kayak, a "Sea Bear". Had it for about 18yrs now, so we've done a few miles together. :)
Use it exclusively for sea kayaking and find it unbeatable for accessing untracked/unroaded areas.
You can haul a fair bit more food in it than you can in a pack!
(also nice to know that there's a back up for getting 'out there' when my knees finally give up. ;)

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/nz_usa/kayak10.jpg

MalTheElder
2008-08-03, 13:15
I started with a little 15 ft. fiberglass canoe; paddled it 'til it disintegrated! Inherited my dad's 17'6" Coleman tupperware canoe, and I'm paying on a new 'yak (14' Old Town) now. In fact, it was canoeing that led me to camping, and inevitably to here! The 'yak is beamier than I really prefer, but works just right for solo river camping (my wife is not an outdoor girl, though she builds a helluva fire!).

My paddling is on the rivers in N. Cent. Florida --- the Ocklawaha & Silver, Juniper Run, St. John's River, Withlacoochee (the southern one), Santa Fe and Ichnetucknee, and the Suwannee and other Withlacoochee. Strictly flatwater, except the Gulf off of Cedar Key.

Stroke, stroke!
Mal

jhick
2008-08-04, 14:59
No surprise! i have 2 sea, 3 ocean and a toy. i kayak the pine barrens and the Delaware near the Del Mem Bridge.
this is my son and i on the Mulica River below Batsto.

Ever take the Little Egg Harbor river past Palace Outfitters near Weymouth Furnace? Great place to eat, drink or take a tube/canoe/kayak trip. I grew up a few miles away and I've done lot's of canoeing, but never in a kayak. On a trip to Sea Isle city last week, I tried some sea kayaking..... what a blast! DAM, something else to spend money on...

Bulldawg
2008-08-05, 10:21
http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=212091

kayak karl
2008-08-05, 17:51
Ever take the Little Egg Harbor river past Palace Outfitters near Weymouth Furnace? Great place to eat, drink or take a tube/canoe/kayak trip. I grew up a few miles away and I've done lot's of canoeing, but never in a kayak. On a trip to Sea Isle city last week, I tried some sea kayaking..... what a blast! DAM, something else to spend money on...

if thats the one on 322, i haven't done it yet.

doug12
2008-08-15, 07:39
I paddle the rivers in northern Michigan, but mostly the floodings and small lakes. I have paddled in Lakes Huron and Superior (Isle Roayale National Park).
I currently have and Old Town 120 kayak, and Old Town Penobscot (16 ft Oltonar), an Old Town Canadian (17 ft kevlar) and a Old Town Guide (18 ft wood and canvas). I like Old Towns. I also have a Sterans inflatable kayak.

GGS
2008-08-15, 13:12
I paddle the rivers in northern Michigan, but mostly the floodings and small lakes.

Doug12, what lakes/rivers? I live in MI and am looking for places to go.

Bulldawg
2008-08-15, 23:11
I'd like to find a nice expedition kayak for a bigger guy like myself.

mclmm
2008-08-19, 00:06
I'm a jack of all trades - walking, 4x4ing, Rapelling & Rockclimbing, whitewater kayaking and sea kayaking.

I love sea kayaking. I don't own my own boat, but they are available for hire everywhere up there. I recently did a 120km trip in the bathwater-warm waters of the Great Barrier Reef. I'll dig out some photos.

There's a lot to be said for paddling around sand attols and lush jungle-covered islands. There's even more to be said for slinging the hammock back from the beach (too many crocodiles to sling it on the beach) and watching the sunset through the coconut palms. Lots of sharks up there though - I had a 12-14 foot tigershark check me out while I was transiting a channel between two islands. Good times.

warraghiyagey
2008-08-19, 00:22
I also love the experience of gliding along lakes and rivers in the world's quietest vehicle.
I'm planning a canoe/hiking trip in the Adirondacks in 2 years with Jennfrick and The Mobsters - the group I hiked SOBO in the northeast with in '06.
Likely it will include the Fulton Chain Lakes and include some day hikes up some of the more challenging mountains in the Airondacks and camping by the rivers/lakes or on summits if the Mother Earth allows.
:beer:
As for canoes - I'm kind of an Olde Towne fiberglass fan 16ish feet especially for renting - light and sturdy - but may opt for a lighter model when it comes time to buy one. Although kayaking also piques my interest frome time to time.

MalTheElder
2008-08-19, 04:04
I built this in 2003. It's a 16 footer and weighs 60# . . .

I'm in love with your canoe. It reminds me of an old Old Town stripper my father found laying in a yard in Maine, going merrily to ruin. He brought it back to Florida and rebuilt it, beautifully. It is the smoothest craft I've ever paddled, bar none. We called it "The Great Brown Manatee."

I could go on, but I'll spare y'all.

Happy Hurricane!
Mal

doug12
2008-08-19, 04:31
GGS - The South Branch of the AuSable river is good. It is basically in 2 segments. Upstream from Roscommon is undeveloped, with little traffic. When the water is low it is very obstructed by downed trees, but is a nice remote paddle. Put in at Sherman Bridge on N Keno RD west of Roscommon.
Put in at Roscommon for a nice trip through a developed area. Or put in at Chase Bridge (4 miles mostly east of Roscommon on Chase Bridge Road) and go down through the Mason Tract. This is about 11 miles of river with only 1 house in those 11 miles. Very nice during the week. Avoid it during summer weekends as it is full of yahoos.
Mainstream of the Ausable is very nice. Can put in at Grayling or at many bridges down its length.
Cut River runs from Higgins lake to Houghton Lake. First 4 hours (from Higgins to the CC Bridge) are through grassy marsh - very twisty. Good fishing. Second half (C Bridge to Houghton lake) is more cedar swamp.
Coming out of Houghton Lake is the Muskegon RIver. I've only done the first part.I think thisis Michigan's longest river. From M55 to the first brige is very nice. You may see snappers and soft shell turtles. The soft shell bite worse than the snappers.
West of Grayling on M72 is the Manistee. There is a canoe livery right at the bridge where the road crosses the river. They own all the land on both sides of the road and expect to get paid if you want to launch there. Go to the state campgound just west of the bridge and launch there. You can take out at the manistee CC Bridge (4 hours) or go down to Fletcher Road. All dirt roads from M72 to Fletcher - very round-a-bout. Excellent steelhead fishing.
You can paddle at the many floodings throught Northern Michigan. I paddled Connors Flats (again) this weekend. Nice to see the frog population rebouding. Look for this on Google maps. Look also for Robinson flooding, Backus Creek floodings, Bear Creek flooding, and more. A lot I don't know the name of.
Thunder RIver is nice too.
Get a copy of "50 Michigan RIvers" a good guide to some river in Michigan.

oldsoldier
2008-08-19, 10:46
Well, I will answer here as well then. I am new to kayaking, own an Advanced Elements inflatable kayak. Have onlyt had it since March, but it has seen much use, including a 3 day trip down the Saco. Excellent kayak for those of us that are in storage impaired living spaces. Folds up to the size of a suitcase, and is TOUGH. I am not particularly easy on gear (I spent 12 years as a grunt, after all), and have kayaked or dragged this over rocks, roots, & trees. None the worse for wear. And, I packed a ruck onto the back of it, with absolutely no issues.

GGS
2008-08-19, 17:23
Thanks for the reply, Doug12! I'll definitely check those out.

woodsy
2008-08-29, 09:29
Long time Maine boater here.
3 kayaks
16'1 Old Town Heron( lake tripper)
13'8 Old Town Loon, good all round flatwater kayak and some river running.
10' Dagger sit on top for whitewater fun
and a 16'9 Old Town Discovery canoe
Ex whitewater raft guide on the Kennebec and Dead Rivers
Have thousands of miles of paddling under the belt on flat water and rivers/whitewater combined.

DarenN
2008-08-31, 10:30
hi there;
i've been sea kayaking Canada's west coast for about ten years. mostly in kayaks i've built myself. my biggest trip to date was a ten day solo in the Broken Group islands, Barkley Sound, west coast of Vancouver island. we've got some of the best ocean kayaking on the planet, and it's just out my back door! :D
Daren.......

Spock
2008-09-04, 22:55
I'm a paddler and build my own 13 foot solo upriver pocket cruisers with cedar strips. They weigh from 26 to 29 pounds, depending on variables.

When river tripping, I usually go upstream, and travel light. I carry a hammock and a free-standing tent. The tent is for camping on sand bars where ownership - and tresspassing - is less likely to be an issue. The hammock is for whenever I can get away with it.