PDA

View Full Version : Those darn 10 essentials!

Wise Old Owl
2008-08-04, 01:09
I have bumped into thru hikers without maps, GPS, and missing other important stuff such as a bivy or tent. But I suspect some of you also leave the ten essentials behind to lighten the load – what is up with that? A typical kit weighs 1 pound; the new ultra light kits leave something to be desired. Now I do have a pet peeve. That Mylar foil space suit shelter ($3) they have been selling for years is crap, I used one once and it damn near killed me. But the rest of the best kits make sense, in fact I take most of them and add a few things like fly fish hooks and line. Light weight 15 feet of green wire is another thing I add.

I put this in general as it has been a while since folks addressed this topic. I am looking for wide audience review, both pro & con If you haven’t used a kit in years say so. If the First Aid kit was a second useless item tell me why.
On the other hand if the kit was in your bag and you do not have a clue on how to use it, ……… you might be a re……!:ahhhhh:

So give this thought your best! Oh if you have used it in a pinch do tell!

GGS
2008-08-04, 17:14
What do you consider to be the 10 essentials?

Lone Wolf
2008-08-04, 17:18
yeah, what ARE the 10 essentials

D'Artagnan
2008-08-04, 17:21
yeah, what ARE the 10 essentials

A six-pack and four cigars?

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-04, 19:22
Four hiker chicks, four condoms, a bottle of bourbon and herbal remedies

samhain
2008-08-04, 22:10

with four hiker chicks, forget the herbal remedies, go for the little blue pill, and a list of the next of kin ......

:saint:

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-04, 23:17
Good point, But damn, you'd be one happy corpse.

SGT Rock
2008-08-04, 23:36
1 gun and 9 shots.

MRH
2008-08-05, 01:08
I'm thinking I have 30 essentials... Maybe I better recount.

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-05, 06:36
I'm thinking I have 30 essentials... Maybe I better recount.What a man! What a man! :adore: :D

Amigi
2008-08-05, 07:20
More and more like WB every day...

An honest question is asked and all he gets is sarcasm. Ban the frigging trolls, and I dont care if they are your friend, a "trail legend", or a WB member. I thought this site was for serious\funny\troubling\lighthearted hiking\outdoors\military discussion.

About two steps from becoming WB II.

Lone Wolf
2008-08-05, 07:38
go to trailplace then. very serious there. no havin' fun if that's what you want. 10 essentials my ass.

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-05, 07:51
I'll leave this to Rock and Dixi. If you don't want us to play here, just say so and I'll quit playing.
go to trailplace then. very serious there. no havin' fun if that's what you want. 10 essentials my ass.LW, what do consider essential on a hike?

oops56
2008-08-05, 09:23
I think there is to many sitting on there butts on here not out doing it.Boy if i could i be out there just to get lost for 2 or 3 days food etc. then come back to this mess up world.I think just one week their be no tv no radio no newspaper no c.b.It be one nice peace full week it fix almost ever ones nerves

D'Artagnan
2008-08-05, 09:31

An honest question is asked and all he gets is sarcasm. Ban the frigging trolls, and I dont care if they are your friend, a "trail legend", or a WB member. I thought this site was for serious\funny\troubling\lighthearted hiking\outdoors\military discussion.

The only thing that makes it like WB is when someone tries to inject a little humor someone like you whines about it. Get over yourself.

oops56
2008-08-05, 09:50
It all boils down to this essential things what right for me may not be right for you. Why does one use a back pack when you just take a cell phone and credit card and have delivery service.:albertein:albertein

SGT Rock
2008-08-05, 14:42
You are right...

And by right I mean that you can't seem to have a little light hearted fun without someone sniveling about it.

Seems everyone wants to have some fun unless they don't think something is funny.

Keep complaining about what makes you mad and it will turn EXACTLY into WBII where someone always has to snivel when people seem to be having a little fun.

cool breeze
2008-08-05, 15:29
You will never grt to Maine till you treat that trail like a job.

Rifleman
2008-08-05, 15:36
In regards to humour v. serious I don't always laugh at Doonsbury or Mallard Duck in the paper but I realize the cartoonists are trying (mostly).

Like yesterday, hiking at Shining Rock, I always take my survival necklace. It has a knife, light, whistle, signal mirror, compass, magnesium fire stick, and a flexible canteen (rubber). Now there's something to laugh at! Can't you just imagine how dorky looking I would be (and felt) carrying a rubber full of water back from a spring or seep!

Yet if the only water that's half-way close to a decent campsite is 700 feet down a steep manway (like places on the Bartram Trail) I want to be able to camel up and take some water back to my improvised shelter. I believe that some time in the future those things will save my butt.

Besides the necklace, I carried water, first aid kit, emergency poncho, sunscreen, matches and food. This isn't all that I carried but it gives you an idea. The Lightweight Backpacker has the best list of the 14 Essentials I've seen.
R.

Kanga
2008-08-05, 17:02
I'll leave this to Rock and Dixi. If you don't want us to play here, just say so and I'll quit playing.LW, what do consider essential on a hike?
not you, darlin'. amigi, i believe, is who he's referring to.

Kanga
2008-08-05, 17:02

GO. AWAY. FAR AWAY. like maybe WB.

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-05, 17:27
Amigi, I'm not trying to run you off from here, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't tell you this. There have been some major changes at WB. The moderation over there is far stricter and fun is pretty much banned there. There is no more flaming, no more teasing each other and virtually no humor. I know you a bit and you might really like the new WB - seriously. However, I hope you will stick around here as well. I like your grumpy ol' self :D.

GGS
2008-08-05, 18:12
::: GGS frantically trying to steer this out-of-control thread back on track :::

Mark, what do you consider to be the 10 essentials?

oops56
2008-08-05, 18:24
::: GGS frantically trying to steer this out-of-control thread back on track :::

Mark, what do you consider to be the 10 essentials?

I don,t think it should be 10 it should be how many do you have that you need.

Lone Wolf
2008-08-05, 18:27
food, water, shelter, clothing, shoes, pack, bag, beer, cash and pistol, mofos!

Wise Old Owl
2008-08-06, 00:36
1.Good topo Map
2. Compass (when all else fails)
3. Headlamp & extra batteries
4. Extra Food (gorp bars)
5. light 1pound down bag
6. Sunglasses
7. First-Aid Kit with added medicine (lopermine & zinc ointment
8. Pocket Knifes Locking blade & Swiss army
9. Waterproof Wind Matches& lighter
10. Firestarter (magniesum bar)
11. Water / small Filter / Bottles ( I can't use iodine due to allergy)
12. Whistle( I don’t find much value with this)
13. Insect Repellent Deep Woods Off &head net
14. Sunburn Preventatives
15. Cell Phone & spare battery
16. Spare key for car. (Obvious)
17. small plastic flask of Jim Beam for medicinal purpous only, to share w/ friends!

Ohh come on who's counting.....

CaSteve
2008-08-06, 00:42

& if each of the hiker chicks had 10 essentials, wow.

CaSteve
2008-08-06, 00:55
I've been rethinking my first aid kit recently. For hiking, it seems like all I need is oriented for foot problems, plus snake & insect bites, and minor cuts & burns. That's what I usually use, however I've been carrying a medical bag with me it seems. I'm trying to slim it down. Now watch, :help:

What do others think is necessary in a first aid kit?

SGT Rock
2008-08-06, 01:19
1 essential. A Female Sherpa. She can carry it all.

http://www.collegecandy.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/30/backpack.jpg

Wise Old Owl
2008-08-06, 01:20
First Aid Kit missing items

Imodium - hard to hike when you get the squirts!
Pin or needle. Spinter removal, lance for blisters.
Round hook for stiching deep cuts.
Rubber for female sherpa.....

Wise Old Owl
2008-08-06, 01:26
:boring:Crap where did everybody go....... Oh it's after midnight again....Good night!

Jarhead
2008-08-06, 15:48
Lite bag
Map
Compass/GPS
Flashlite
Knife
Sierra saw
Energy bars
Flask of whiskey
length of rope or decent twine
Canteen
First aid kit
Fire starter
Matches
Liteweight poncho or military poncho depends on area/weather
Purification tabs
Extra socks

More than 10 depending upon hike, weather, destination, length of travel

GGS
2008-08-06, 16:41
Referring to the essential as the "First Aid Kit":

I purchased one of those inexpensive first aid kits then added a few items of my own.

Pretty much all I've ever used from my kit is band-aids & vaseline (mainly for blisters), athletic tape, scissors, aspirin (when I have too much of that other alcohol-based essential), ibuprofen, and cold medicine.

Come to think of it I don't even remember what else is in my kit. I have a checklist at home, I'll have to review it.

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-06, 17:31
This is what I carry on summer day hikes:

Emergency Survival whistle (http://www.prepare-now.com/whistle.html) with flint fire starter, a liquid-filled compass, a signal mirror, a waterproof match compartment with matches and a magnesium strip inside
Swisscard (http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=swisscard&product=53927&)(older model with LED light and magnifying glass)
Extra trail mix
Water in bottle
High-strength kite line (tarping and splinting)
Silnylon poncho - tarp
First aid kit - bandaids, Vitamin I, Imodium, Benadryl, Claratin, Percoset, Iodine (can be used for water purification or wound cleaning if needed)
2 mylar emergency blankets or mylar bivy

Wise Old Owl
2008-08-06, 20:59
Renee, those mylar covers - open one in 45 degree nights and try to sleep in one. I warrenty this for three hours... then I had a condensation problem that chilled me to the bone. Just sharing, a really bad experience. I now believe a 1 pound duck filled down bag (cheap) would be better than carrying that space crap. Walkin Rei or Dick's Sport Goods.

Silnylon poncho - tarp - tell me more, have you used it in a pinch?

Wise Old Owl
2008-08-06, 22:06
Sierra saw
More than 10 depending upon hike, weather, destination, length of travel

Do actually use the saw? I have one, and I am on the fence. Inquiring minds.....................

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-06, 22:21
Renee, those mylar covers - open one in 45 degree nights and try to sleep in one. I warrenty this for three hours... then I had a condensation problem that chilled me to the bone. Just sharing, a really bad experience. I now believe a 1 pound duck filled down bag (cheap) would be better than carrying that space crap. Walkin Rei or Dick's Sport Goods.

Silnylon poncho - tarp - tell me more, have you used it in a pinch?I have spent the night in a poncho twice - once when I got disoriented and it got dark in the Slickrock Wilderness and another time when injured an ankle and had to spend an unexpected night in the Smokies. I've not had to do so in my silnylon poncho (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20275) yet, but it is bigger than my old poncho so I'm sure I'd be fine.

I spent both nights under a poncho in a mylar bivy. I used it like a vapor barrier (crawled in all nakkie). Put duff under it for insulation and comfort - my clothing and some pine boroughs on top for warmth. Wearing clothing inside one of those is an invitation for hypotherma. Both nights were warmer than 45 degrees.

If I know - or even suspect - I will be spending the night, I bring a real sleeping bag. I carry mylar as an emergency measure only - nd I was damned glad to have it the two times I've slept out unexpectedly.

Jarhead
2008-08-10, 17:06
I've used the saw for firewood yes. Depends on destination/duration of hike. Hehe, I got er... lost, I mean disoriented one particular time and while I ultimately did not need it that time, I was sure glad I had it with me. If you are doing a short/medium hike that you are familiar with, leave it in the truck.

good luck,

Geo.
2008-08-10, 21:01
I now believe a 1 pound duck filled down bag (cheap) would be better than carrying that space crap.

Yeah I've heard some neg stuff about those mylar blankets as far as insulation goes but always carry one in my 'emergency' kit for other uses. Figure it would be good for collecting rainwater if needed. Probably make a good reflective signalling device if you wanted to be spotted. Could also be used to give a bit of shelter - heard someone who draped it over their tent to reflect sun heat and they reckoned that worked though haven't tried it.

Austin
2008-08-15, 00:51
I spent both nights under a poncho in a mylar bivy. I used it like a vapor barrier (crawled in all nakkie).

Well. there you go. Ya scared all the bad weather away! :biggrin:

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-15, 09:07
Well. there you go. Ya scared all the bad weather away! :biggrin:::: Dino seen peeking over trifocals at Austin's toes to decide if they are clean enough to bite :bootyshak :::

Wise Old Owl
2008-08-16, 22:19
:alberteinWow am I glad Space Blankets don't reveil Camel Toe, or refect Full Moons!:albertein

PS look at the date - It is a full MOON!

FireFighter56
2008-08-16, 23:00
hmmm...lets see

Handgun
compass
map
Hennesy Hammock
Sleeping Bag
Fire Starter
first aid kit
AXE
Gerber Multi-tool
my brain (....duh)

lol

Frolicking Dino
2008-08-17, 11:03
:alberteinWow am I glad Space Blankets don't reveil Camel Toe, or refect Full Moons!:albertein

PS look at the date - It is a full MOON!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/DinoDancingSinging.gif
You have been awarded the nekked dancing dino award

Jager
2008-08-18, 14:44
Read an article a couple of years ago about wilderness survival. Three survival 'experts' were asked about the one thing they thought was the single most useful item to have with them. Surprisingly, they got three different answers:

1) knife or multitool

2) lighter or matches

3) large orange garbage bag!!

They gave suprisingly good reasons for each being the one thing they'd want, and as a result each of my packs has all three items that stay with them regardless of how much I shift other gear from pack to pack or storage...

Regards,
J.

oldsoldier
2008-08-18, 21:50
How about a friggen compass? Most places in the US arent more than a 1/2 fay hike to a road. Pick a direction, ruck up, & march on!!
Now, for me, I take a maxpedition pack, packed with all kinds of crap. With a water bottle, it weighs bout 3 lbs. I figure, minus food, I have enough for a few nights out unexpectedly. Shelter stuff, fire stuff, first aid stuff. I am civvie sized now ;), so, I could probably do a few days without food. Hell, I'd likely come out of that situation better than I went in. I'd do my doctor proud!!

Wise Old Owl
2008-08-28, 22:45
3 pounds.... Ok I am so not going to toooooch that.

JRiker
2008-09-04, 11:50
10 essentials in my pack

1. Firestarter stuff (lighter, flint stick, and some charred cloth)
2. Mini-bottle of Jack Daniels
3. First aid kit (iodine swabs, three bandaids, medical tape, gauze, dental floss with curved needle)
4. Tarp/Poncho
5. Topo Map of area
6. compass
7. big knife (check post "my kind of ultralight knife")
8. water bottle w/ iodine tablets
9. 50 feet of parachute cord
10. surgical tubing (3 ft)

I don't like those mylar blankets, had a similar hypo experience in 35 F weather.
Have used every item on list. Once had to stitch my leg thanks to a broken tree branch that jumped up and bit me. That's why i now carry a curved needle instead of a straight one.

subsequently, this list is also most of what i carry in my pack, except for a larger tarp, a sleeping pad, sleeping bag, food, sunscreen, and extra pair of socks.

JAK
2008-09-04, 14:35
That's a nice practical list there.

JAK
2008-09-04, 14:41
Here is my 'essentials' list for the Fundy Footpath. I group stuff.

Stuff I always bring and consider essential...
1. Clothing (always includes wool+shell+hat)
2. Food
3. Water Bottle
4. Firestarter+Mug+Spoon
5. Map+Compass+Watch
6. Ground Pad, Blanket/Quilt/SleepingBag, Shelter
7. Cell Phone (to leave daily message on answering machine)

Stuff I always bring though don't always consider 'essential'...
8. Candle Lantern and/or Headlamp
9. Knife and/or Hatchet
10. Extra cordage, a few nails (same cordage as for my shoe laces and poncho/tarp)
11. Sewing/Repair/First-Aid Kit
12. Bug Repellant.
13. Zinc Oxide.
14. Aqua-Mira

The extra cordage is enough to hang my food when I need to do that.

Wise Old Owl
2008-09-04, 20:38
10 essentials in my pack

10. surgical tubing (3 ft)

OK this was interesting - what would you do with the tubing?

Wise Old Owl
2008-09-04, 20:51
1.Good topo Map
2. Compass (when all else fails)
3. Headlamp & extra batteries
4. Extra Food (gorp bars)
5. light 1pound down bag
6. Sunglasses
7. First-Aid Kit with added medicine (lopermine & zinc ointment
8. Pocket Knifes Locking blade & Swiss army
9. Waterproof Wind Matches& lighter
10. Firestarter (magniesum bar)
11. Water / small Filter / Bottles ( I can't use iodine due to allergy)
12. Whistle( I don’t find much value with this)
13. Insect Repellent Deep Woods Off &head net
14. Sunburn Preventatives
15. Cell Phone & spare battery
16. Spare key for car. (Obvious)
17. small plastic flask of Jim Beam for medicinal purpous only, to share w/ friends!

Ohh come on who's counting.....

Ok as we are all friends here ...
18. a rubber!

JRiker
2008-09-04, 21:38
Mark, the surgical tubing is to use as a turniquet if necessary (hopefully it never is).

I've also used it to make slingshots for killing small game (easier for me than a throwing stick, and it takes less time to make it too)

lucky luke
2008-09-08, 10:00
Mark, the surgical tubing is to use as a turniquet if necessary (hopefully it never is).

I've also used it to make slingshots for killing small game (easier for me than a throwing stick, and it takes less time to make it too)

hi,

works well for getting a drink out of a crevice or deep crag, or a well that is way down.

the survivalists can also use it to hide under water until the duck swims over them, then grab the duck and drown it.... hide from indians under water. saw that in a movie a long time ago. i think that guy had to use a reed. probably messed up his 10 essentials...

happy trails
lucky luke

JAK
2008-09-08, 10:49

I've also used it to make slingshots for killing small game (easier for me than a throwing stick, and it takes less time to make it too)I like that idea. I think if I carry one I would have the sling shot already made, to practice with, and then have it to take apart if I need it for first aid. What length of surgical tubing? Thickness?

Thought this was cute...

"Former child actress Shirley Temple revealed in an interview that she was a slingshot user, with Eleanor Roosevelt as one of her "victims"."

MRH
2008-09-08, 14:53
sometimes I'll bring a sling shoot with me... This is the one I have and really like it because the risk part folds up to make it compact, also I can put the ammo in the handle. http://www.slingshots.com/html/sling-shots-fs1.html

grannyhiker
2008-09-08, 15:35
The Seattle Mountaineers, who reportedly invented the "Ten" Essentials, have finally realized that there are a lot more than ten and have gone to "systems": From their website (http://www.mountaineers.org/scriptcontent/default.cfm?insert=hiking)

The main thing is to be able to stay relatively warm, dry and healthy if you're stuck out overnight, cope with common emergencies (including signaling if you're hurt) and either navigate yourself out of trouble or, hopefully, navigate welll enough to keep from getting into trouble in the first place. A lot of what you need should be in your head--common sense, how to cope with panic, basic map and compass knowledge (those items are useless without it) and a few other skills, such as building a fire with wet wood.

I dislike kits; I prefer to put my own stuff together. IMHO, half the stuff in the kits is useless and the other half is not needed. Most of the "essentials" are stuff I carry anyway, like an insulation layer and rain gear.