PDA

View Full Version : Tracks

DebW
2003-01-23, 22:34
Here's one you all might enjoy: Tracks, by Robin Davidson. About a woman's walk across the deserts of Australia with camels. It was out of print for awhile but is available again. This book is where I first learned about stromatolites.

Hikerhead
2003-01-23, 22:54
OK DW, don't keep us hanging....what is a stromatolite?

I thought it might had had something to do with Strum Thurman but then that would had been a Strumtolite.

"Can you speak into the machine!"

PKH
2003-01-24, 05:38
I agree. This is a fine and unusual book - now I'll have to reread it. Robin was also featured in a number of national geo mag articles at the time of her camel trek. Interesting photos.

PKH

DebW
2003-01-24, 10:49
Originally posted by Hikerhead
OK DW, don't keep us hanging....what is a stromatolite?

It's a bacterial mat. Kind of looks like brain coral. Currently found in Shark Bay in Australia and a few other brackish locations where almost nothing else can live. However, 3.5 billion years ago, stromatolites were a dominant life form in the oceans occupying a niche similar to coral, until animals that could eat them evolved. Stromatolite fossils are some of the oldest evidence for life on earth. They may have been responsible for the rise of oxygen in the earth's atmosphere around 2.5 billion year ago. Fascinating, huh?

DebW
2003-01-24, 14:22
Originally posted by PKH
Robin was also featured in a number of national geo mag articles at the time of her camel trek. Interesting photos.
PKH

I have a CD-ROM of the photos, which also includes an interactive map and book excepts, that was put together by the Natl. Geo photographer. It came free with a Macintosh computer I bought about 8 years ago. Wonderful photography.

Hikerhead
2003-02-01, 21:30
Stromatolite--that's very interesting. Thanks DW.