PDA

View Full Version : I'm Getting Old......

kayak karl
2008-10-08, 23:19
turned 53 last friday.:birthday: to me, the guys at work took me to PHILLY to Tony Lukes for lunch and the off to a SHOW, AND i can not TELL u about it. :beer:

the crew is young 23-27. my job is to teach them to plan their work and work their plan. but they ask me about the 60's and stuff. Rotary phones that were tethered to the wall, phone #'s started with 2 letters, MA-4-2167. 3-6-10 and sometimes 12 on TV. UHF if you were lucky. making my little sister hold the rabbit ears to watch Sally Star (saw her a few weeks ago). snow on TV? you told time by the street lites going on. slinky was a cool toy. G.I. Joe's were dolls, not action figures. we know where we were when JFK was shot and John Glenn went on his trip. my dad quit smoking because cigs went to $.51 and he couldn't get 2 packs for a dollar.

what do you remember? 37 cent gas, burger,fry and soda for a dollar?

JUST A LITTLE NOSTALGIA :)

sailingsoul
2008-10-09, 01:22
Memories :ahhhhh: I remember $.24 a gal. gas in '61. "Sky king and Circus Boy" TV shows on Saturdays. The "Davie Crocket" song. I remember so much more but I forgot most of it. Mrs. Schwartz! Oh my Gawd, My 4th grade teacher, I HATED her. What made it worse , she hated me. She must be dead by now. Good, that witch. If I knew where she was buried, I drink a case of beer and visit her grave. Thanks for the memories, KK. Oh! and Happy Birthday. SS:captain:

oops56
2008-10-09, 02:46
I remember 20 cent pack cig. 10 cents move just black and white tv, the out house and the picture pump, can milk to make a quart, my razer blade radio, telephone had to ask number please, made toast on stove, skis with canning jar rubbers for binding, listen on tube radio to amos and andy, dick tracy, the lone ranger No such thing as a one way steert.now i am old:beer::beer:

Wonder
2008-10-09, 10:31
HA I know where Show and Tell is!

Sounds like a party!!! Happy Birthday!

MRH
2008-10-09, 13:17
WOW,,, getting older... happy B-Day... I remember cokes being in wooden creates and glass bottles. no p/c's. black and white tvs... 27ct gas.

Footslogger
2008-10-09, 13:28
I remember when 30 seemed SO old ...

'Slogger

D'Artagnan
2008-10-09, 13:36
I remember when going to a restaurant for dinner was considered a big deal and when service stations actually had attendants (not just cashiers).

Footslogger
2008-10-09, 13:40
I remember stacking 78's on the "record player". The term "turntable" hadn't been coined yet. Then we moved onto 45's ...but before long it was the 33and a thirds that took over - - and we called them "long playing records" or "LP's"

'Slogger

kayak karl
2008-10-10, 08:04
HA I know where Show and Tell is!

Sounds like a party!!! Happy Birthday!

shhh! i'm not suppose to tell anybody,the other 3 guys are married.

WE HAD A BLAST:biggrin:

EZ from NY
2008-10-10, 08:17
"Gettin old ain't for sissies" Bette Davis

Wonder
2008-10-10, 10:33
shhh! i'm not suppose to tell anybody,the other 3 guys are married.

WE HAD A BLAST:biggrin:

So was I last time I went.....ain't no thing

Jim Henderson
2008-10-10, 18:24
Yeah , my kids ask me all the time to tell them about olden days when we had to strike flint to make light, yup. They almost sound like archaeologists from far in the future talking with a caveman.

I remember picking up the phone and someone would already be talking.

It was cool and being a big boy when I could watch TV long enough to see the big Indian or the waving flag. Guess the Indian is not PC anymore, but I thought it was cool.

I remember some TV stations ran the same movies all week long, so if you missed it, it would be back again that week several times. Million Dollar Movies. I especially liked the one with a midget submarine and the Nautilus/Nemo chasing it around. Wish I knew the name of that movie.

I remember the Owl Cafe down the street had 5 cent burgers and 10 cents for a cheeseburger. Used to buy a bag full sometimes on my way to school.

I remember my first car in 1973 costing just $3 to fill the tank.

The old phone numbers actually kind of told you where it was, like Angeles 12345, was a phone near downtown LA. And you could only force those dials to turn so fast.

I remember a couple flat pieces of wood made a pretty good toy. And of course dirt clods were the best hand grenades for the truly not PC game of War that we all played.

I recall cigarettes costing 25 cents out of the machine, and it was OK for my babysitter to send me to go buy a pack for them.

UHF TV, what was that? we had only channels 2 thru 13 and most of those were empty.

The Helms Bakery trucks with their toot toot was a sure draw for us kids, I miss it still. Fresh baked goods upto and including wedding cakes available delivered to your driveway. Ummm.

It was safe for my parents to kick me out the door in the morning and telling me be back before dark. Now I think they call it abuse. I remember wandering about our neighborhood and us occasionally coming upon baby rattle snakes. The lady next door would go berserk and smash them with a shovel. It was weird how they moved for hours after that. And of course my favorite "I made it" sandwiches... Mayonaise, wrapped in wax paper and stuffed into an new empty GI ammo can.

We lived on a Marine base, so it was fun sneeking into the vehicle park and playing in the tanks and trucks, don't know why the sentry made such a fuss when he saw us.

I remember getting stuck in an old fashioned telephone booth with doors. Now kids don't understand why superman always looks for a phone booth, we knew.

My red fire engine pedal car, Wow, how cool was that? Wish I had it now. And of course Tonka Trucks which were indestructable, you could even ride them. I still have my two fire engines.

And of course we all loved the radio flyers even though they would try to kill you when the hills were steep.

Kids miss so much now a days. My two boys are always dreadfully bored. Heck I didn't know the meaning of the word and all my toys fit into one cardboard box, except my pedal car of course. We were outside all day in the desert heat. I'll probably get skin cancer in my old age. My kids don't know what a tan is.

Jim Henderson

Bear
2008-10-10, 22:26
I remember when I could remember!!!

kayak karl
2008-10-10, 23:00
With all the things that changed, when i hike with my son, the woods look the same as when i hiked with my dad and the conversations haven't changed :biggrin:

atraildreamer
2008-10-11, 14:40
"Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle."
-- Bob Hope

"Like everyone else who makes the mistake of getting older, I begin each day with coffee and obituaries." -- Bill Cosby

"The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

"Old age is fifteen years older than I am."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

"Nothing so dates a man as to decry the younger generation."
-- Adlai Stevenson

You know you are getting old when you spend time replying to this thread! :biggrin:

EZ from NY
2008-10-11, 16:03
"Fifty - the old age of youth and the youth of old age" Art Garfunkle

grannyhiker
2008-10-11, 19:55
From my perspective (early 70's), you've just gotten out of your teenage years. However, the more birthdays we pile up, the more important it is to keep physically fit. "Use it or lose it" definitely applies to our bones, joints and muscles!

Jack
2008-10-12, 15:36
> the one with a midget submarine and the Nautilus/Nemo chasing it around...

"Fantastic Voyage", the movie, IIRC. Seems like there was a tv show
too, but I don't remember what it was called.

:bandit:

Two Speed
2008-10-21, 11:24
> the one with a midget submarine and the Nautilus/Nemo chasing it around...

"Fantastic Voyage", the movie, IIRC. Seems like there was a tv show
too, but I don't remember what it was called.

:bandit:voyage to the bottom of the sea, maybe?

Frolicking Dino
2008-10-21, 13:25
I remember eating at this place - it was near the foot of the Incline Railway in Chattanooga, TN. The hamburger were up to 10 cents when I ate there.
http://www.sitemason.com/files/c7mxpK/krystalrest.jpg

I remember gas being 20 cents a gallon and full size candy bars being a nickle.

Below was the working man's lunch:
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9894/12wincecopyjpg2sd.jpg

Footslogger
2008-10-21, 13:36
[QUOTE=Frolicking Dino;47728]
I remember gas being 20 cents a gallon and full size candy bars being a nickle.

==================================

...yeah, and there was something called "penny candy" - - and it actually cost a penny. The corner "delicatesen" had a long counter with bar stools and a real soda fountain. They made shakes and phosphates from scratch in those big tall metal cups. Unfortunately I have no pictures ...only those in my mind.

'Slogger

Frolicking Dino
2008-10-21, 13:49
...yeah, and there was something called "penny candy" - - and it actually cost a penny. The corner "delicatesen" had a long counter with bar stools and a real soda fountain. They made shakes and phosphates from scratch in those big tall metal cups. Unfortunately I have no pictures ...only those in my mind.

'Slogger
http://www.appliance.com/images2/65250.jpg

Footslogger
2008-10-21, 14:10
http://www.appliance.com/images2/65250.jpg

====================================

YUP ...that's it, the old Hamilton Beach blender. Shame all those good old things disappeared before my kids could enjoy them.

'Slogger

D'Artagnan
2008-10-21, 15:49
====================================

YUP ...that's it, the old Hamilton Beach blender. Shame all those good old things disappeared before my kids could enjoy them.

'Slogger

You're in luck if there's a Lowes Home Improvement store near you. I saw some (not green) at ours about a week ago. I started to buy one but they're around $100 and I don't really need another excuse to drink a milkshake. :biggrin:

campingwK9s
2008-10-21, 16:41
Happy Birthday to you and may the trails always be as they were back then! With the old way of thinking in a better time and place, when things were a lot less complicated and lessons were much more rewarding.

Superman
2008-10-24, 13:32
"Fifty - the old age of youth and the youth of old age" Art Garfunkle

Yes, you are getting old. Anyone as old as you should just lay down and get ready to get stuffed in a box. Anyone as old as you...hey wait a minute...never mind.:beer:

Mrs Baggins
2008-10-24, 21:10
When my daughter and a friend of hers were watching TV there was something about a refrigerator that came out in 1955. When I told them that was when I was born the friend said that was impossible! I asked her why and she said "'Cause you'd be dead now!" So far so good. I'm in great health, nothing hurts, I don't take any Rx meds, I can walk further and faster now than I could 20 years ago, and I can't even pay God to bring on so much as a single symptom of menopause - and I'll be 53 in less than 2 months.

Summit
2008-10-24, 22:55
Hey Karl, happy BD . . . but I got almost six years on ya! :)

I remember "BC" - before cable (TV) . . . one channel to choose from when I was growing up!
I remember Petticoat Junction and Lost In Space (Danger Will Robinson!)
I remember rotary dial phones and $.35/min. long distance calls
I remember $.23/gal for gas
I remember 14 cents to get into a movie and 11 cents for a Coke - total 25 cents . . . and there was only one type of "Coke" to choose from! :)
I remember 2 1/2 lb per boot Reichle (sp?) hiking boots
There's more . . . but I can't remember what they are! :eek:

kayak karl
2008-10-25, 04:46
http://members.aol.com/Al5010/sounds/theme.wav

Summit
2008-10-25, 07:39
http://members.aol.com/Al5010/sounds/theme.wavLooney Cartoons?

Superman
2008-10-25, 09:02
REMEMBER ......ROTARY TELEPHONES...I still use them. Without my hearing aids I can't hear the melodic rings of the new fangled wimpy phones. If I lose power here they still work. The rotary phones are tough...if a burglar comes in my house I'm going to hit him with my rotary phone, even if they consider it excessive force.:birthday:

kayak karl
2008-10-25, 10:26
Looney Cartoons?Three Stooges:bike:

Red Hat
2008-10-25, 19:14
I remember big heavy backpacks from the 60s and 70s. I carried a blue stove that I thought was really cool. My sleeping bag alone weighed what my big three do today.

I remember going to the hamburger joint for 19 cent burgers. And sitting outside to eat them in our car. then going to the races with my boyfriend (you older folks know what I mean) Didn't get past second base though...

I remember slow dancing at the Dad's club on Saturday night, that's cause Friday night was football night. I remember getting mums for football games.

I remember when tv didn't show bras or panties, and couples always had twin beds.

Superman
2008-10-25, 20:16
Well...I remember laying on the floor and listening to "Inner Sanctum" and other radio programs. I remember watching "I Remember Mama" and "Howdy Doody." We only had the three networks but there were some great shows like Sid Caeser, Jack Benny, George Burns and Gracy Allen.
Was Buck Rogers in the 50s realistic...or what?

Summit
2008-10-25, 21:02
Any "Furry Freak Brothers" fans out there? I liked Fat Freddie's cat! :)

How about Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett Show? He was one of the funniest comedians ever.

MalTheElder
2008-10-25, 21:13

How about Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett Show? He was one of the funniest comedians ever.

Woo hoooooo!

Mal

GGS
2008-10-27, 13:00

Oh man, Tim Conway and Harvey Korman! I love the skit where TC is the dentist and HK is the patient...

Frolicking Dino
2008-10-27, 13:09
I love Lucy.... Dragnet... The Lone Ranger... Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet... Leave it to Beaver... Rocky and Bullwinkle

campingwK9s
2008-10-27, 13:24
I drove up to Ellijay this weekend and saw my 91 year old grandma--- now she can tell you some old school stories!!!

campingwK9s
2008-10-27, 13:30
Bonanza! How about Ben Cartwright! or Clint Eastwood a Fist Full of Dollars-

oops56
2008-10-27, 13:53
Ed Sullivan. Liberache. What's my line. I got a secret. beat the clock. You ask for it.Mickey mouse show. These was all black and white TV out side Antenna.No tv till things was clean your room make your bed and do the dishes then in bed at 8 p. m.

campingwK9s
2008-10-27, 14:04
We were more than likely outside- ALWAYS! We had 127 acres of farm and animals waiting on us when we finally got out of the service. But we eagerly waited on shows like Fall Guy and Simon & Simon, Tour of Duty. I have three older brothers and we had 1 TV in the house--- when we had a TV anyway LOL

sheepdog
2008-10-27, 15:40
Mister Wizard I don't want to be a hiker!!!
Drizzle drazzle drizzle drone, time for this one to come home.

sheepdog
2008-10-27, 15:41
Ed Sullivan. Liberache. What's my line. I got a secret. beat the clock. You ask for it.Mickey mouse show. These was all black and white TV out side Antenna.No tv till things was clean your room make your bed and do the dishes then in bed at 8 p. m.

I remember when remote controls came out. My dad said "It will be a cold day in hell when I get to lazy to tell one of the kids to change the channel."

cool breeze
2008-10-27, 15:44
Red Skelton

rbd
2008-10-27, 16:42
Fun thread - I remember the ice man delevering blocks of ice for the ice box. He'd give us kids little pieces of dry ice to throw into puddles of water. Granddad lived in the big city where the Lamplighter came by each evening. Radio had programs like Gunsmoke, Golden Arrow, The Shadow, etc. I remenber Mom adding the yellow color to margine........ Somewhere around six years old, Dad taught me to use a handgun. It was made of wood and powered with a rubberband, but none of the safety rules have changed....

Summit
2008-10-27, 18:18
Was it Jackie Gleason or Red Skelton that had "Crazy Googenheim"?

Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners!

oops56
2008-10-27, 18:19
Fun thread - I remember the ice man delevering blocks of ice for the ice box. He'd give us kids little pieces of dry ice to throw into puddles of water. Granddad lived in the big city where the Lamplighter came by each evening. Radio had programs like Gunsmoke, Golden Arrow, The Shadow, etc. I remenber Mom adding the yellow color to margine........ Somewhere around six years old, Dad taught me to use a handgun. It was made of wood and powered with a rubberband, but none of the safety rules have changed....

Yep butter with the red eye.

kayak karl
2008-10-27, 18:23
Saturday morning cartoons, then Sat afternoon.......

Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sport… the thrill of victory… and the agony of defeat… the human drama of athletic competition… This is ABC's Wide World of Sports!

Jackie Gleason at nite, my favorite part was the bar skit with Frank Fontaine as "Crazy" Guggenheim:biggrin:

campingwK9s
2008-10-28, 10:20
General consensus... How old is too old to hike?

warraghiyagey
2008-10-28, 10:30
The point in time directly after your last breath.

campingwK9s
2008-10-28, 10:59
Two years he walks the earth. No phone, no pool, no pets, no cigarettes. Ultimate freedom. An extremist. An aesthetic voyager whose home is the road. Escaped from Atlanta. Thou shalt not return, 'cause "the West is the best." And now after two rambling years comes the final and greatest adventure. The climactic battle to kill the false being within and victoriously conclude the spiritual pilgrimage. Ten days and nights of freight trains and hitchhiking bring him to the Great White North. No longer to be poisoned by civilization he flees, and walks alone upon the land to become lost in the wild.

Alexander Supertramp
May 1992

Wise Old Owl
2008-10-28, 21:40
General consensus... How old is too old to hike?

Silly question, I'm 47 and most of the active Wilmington Trail Club is much older, acting like a bunch of skinny billygoats, and charging uphill bothways on trails. Which makes me envious.

campingwK9s
2008-10-29, 11:33
I agree with the final breath of air-
And if you knew ahead of time which path would you choose to have as your final journey?

Lone Wolf
2008-10-29, 11:35
"Gettin old ain't for sissies" Bette Davis

no shit there. was hangin' out in a nursing home last week and witnessed it first hand

Lone Wolf
2008-10-29, 11:37
And if you knew ahead of time which path would you choose to have as your final journey?

don't matter as long as the path is blue-blazed

campingwK9s
2008-10-29, 11:57
:beer: TO BLUE BLAZES

Jim Henderson
2008-10-29, 14:34
What with all the nostalgia I thought I would trhow in a website I rediscovered this weekend when I was searching for some info for the wife.

www.lastfm.com is a free music website that will play complete songs. They have many 50s thru 80s and other genre music.

I shed a nostalgic tear this weekend as I listened and searched for songs I haven't heard in years.

My kids of course were having a hard time understanding what I meant by "flip side, 45s versus LPs".

You don't even have to be a member to listen. I think you do have to be a member to buy tho.

Jim Henderson

kayak karl
2008-10-29, 21:52
What with all the nostalgia I thought I would trhow in a website I rediscovered this weekend when I was searching for some info for the wife.

www.lastfm.com is a free music website that will play complete songs. They have many 50s thru 80s and other genre music.

I shed a nostalgic tear this weekend as I listened and searched for songs I haven't heard in years.

My kids of course were having a hard time understanding what I meant by "flip side, 45s versus LPs".

You don't even have to be a member to listen. I think you do have to be a member to buy tho.

Jim Henderson

On the job today one of the guys yelled, "Someone left the drill out in the rain". i sang " I don't think that I can take it" the homeowner sang "cause it took so long to bake it" and WE sang "and i'll never have that recipe again OH, NO!!!!!!!!!!!"
NIce being around people your own age:biggrin:

Summit
2008-10-29, 21:59
Jackie Gleason at nite, my favorite part was the bar skit with Frank Fontaine as "Crazy" Guggenheim:biggrin:Hey, your memory is better than mine! But then . . . you're six years younger - no wonder! :D Frank Fontaine had a beautiful singing voice also. Oh, the memories . . . and simpler life than we lead today.

Wise Old Owl
2008-10-30, 20:49
Old is when your son or grandson reaches for a rotary phone and realizes he needs help calling someone, after you piss yourself laughing.... Realization kicks in.. you are old.

JAK
2008-10-30, 20:52
Saw an 80 year old guy in better shape than I am.

The bastard.

Wise Old Owl
2008-10-30, 20:54
Yea that was my dad.

Dam Billygoat.

JAK
2008-11-03, 09:16
Old is when your son or grandson reaches for a rotary phone and realizes he needs help calling someone, after you piss yourself laughing.... Realization kicks in.. you are old.Actually I just remembered that happed to a friend of mine growing up. We were one of the last to switch. That was awhile ago and I totally forgot. Damn we are getting old. LOL

DragonAss
2008-11-03, 16:53
I remember when 30 seemed SO old ...

'Slogger

Yea, I remember when the mantra was "Never trust anyone over 30 and hope you die before you get that old."

Superman
2008-11-03, 19:26
Yea, I remember when the mantra was "Never trust anyone over 30 and hope you die before you get that old."

Some one sent me this the other day. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081103/ap_on_re_us/obit_ripley
It struck me that 69 isn't that old or I'm getting close...