PDA

View Full Version : Clark Hammocks

gus3836
2008-10-17, 18:57
Just started looking into hammock camping and do not see much on Clark hammocks. How do they compare to HH and what would be a good all around hammock for cold and hot weather camping. Gus

dixicritter
2008-10-19, 16:44
Hi Gus, Welcome to the HQ.

I'm probably not the best qualified to answer your question, but I didn't want you to go unanswered completely. In my totally limited experience I'd have to say that it isn't about the style of hammock necessarily but what you use with it that keeps you either warm or cool in the weather conditions. (Now I'm sure if I'm totally off base on that I'll get corrected by the more experienced hammock hangers around here... :wink: )

I have a thread somewhere on here in the forum archives about trying to stay warm in my hammock, I think the thread title is "the staying warm saga". You might try looking for it. I've only tried a HH and a homemade hammock to date and personally I like my homemade version the best of the two (I'm a bit claustrophobic for the HH).

peter_pan
2008-10-20, 12:25
Just started looking into hammock camping and do not see much on Clark hammocks. How do they compare to HH and what would be a good all around hammock for cold and hot weather camping. Gus

It is all about top quality breathable insulation under and above the hammock.

Nothing is more comfortable in the woods than life in a hammock.

Pan

Hikerhead
2008-10-20, 21:14
You will be the warmest in a Clark Expedition right out of the bag. This is the model with the weathershield. The weathershield will keep the wind out and your warmth in. Lay a small piece of closed cell padding in the bottom when it gets a little colder and you'll be happy with your purchase. I have this and the Hennessey. I wouldn't trade my Clark for anything.

gus3836
2008-10-20, 21:58
Thanks Hikerhead There is no expedition model I think you talking about the North American version. Thanks again Gus

Hikerhead
2008-10-20, 22:14
Yes, you're right, The North American. Me brain farted.

CaSteve
2008-10-22, 02:48
There is a review of a Clark Hammock by Sgt. Rock here: http://www.hikinghq.net/gear/clark_hammock.html