PDA

View Full Version : Sewing

dixicritter
2003-01-28, 23:20
Ok Hiker supporters, just how many sewing projects have you helped your hiker with?

I've kinda lost count myself. Will be sewing tomorrow it looks like. ;) I think the hardest thing I've ever tried to sew for the Rock was that mesh laundry bag back pack... And now he doesn't even use it anymore. lol.

Seriously, its not too bad, kinda fun to watch his eyes light up when he sees one of his dreams actually work out after the sewing is done.

SGT Rock
2003-01-28, 23:25
Hey, it cost like $7 or something like that to make, and it would have worked if I had my pack weight down. Yer just lucky I haven't tried a sleeping bag yet.

In my defense, I often want to do the sewing, but she won't let me.

dixicritter
2003-01-28, 23:26
He breaks too many needles when he sews. Got really tired of hearing him swear at the poor sewing machine. ;) :D

Wander Yonder
2003-01-29, 05:23
Dixiecritter, around here my hubby breaks my TOOLS so I hide them from him!

BTW, I like your new avatar!

DebW
2003-01-29, 10:00
Not only do I have to do my own sewing, but when I take my husband hiking, I have to pack his pack for him! Then he complains that it's too heavy. Mine is always heavier because I carry the group gear. If I take my whole family hiking, I have to pack for 4 people, plan meals for 4 people, etc. Then I have to listen to my husband complain about bugs and my son complain about everything. A solo trip is so much more relaxing!

dixicritter
2003-01-29, 10:19
Sharon, Luckily we each have our own tools so he usually uses his. lol Thanks I liked that av too.

Deb, that sounds alot like how things work around here only not for the hiking trips, just the family trips in the car. I do the packing and he gripes that I've packed too much stuff. lol

SGT Rock
2003-01-29, 10:21
What would you expect from an ultralight hiker LOL:cool:

Wander Yonder
2003-01-29, 14:46
I have to pack hubby's pack, help him find things he loses, and hang his hammock for him!

Fortunately he does not complain about the weight. :D

rickboudrie
2003-01-29, 18:03
Time for me to come clean, I guess.

I hiked the AT with a tent and a sleeping bag that were sewn by my Mom. Come to think of it, I also hiked in a wool shirt and hat she made.

She made the tent and the bag well before my thru hike; I recall I was still in the Scouts (c. 1974) when she made them, and I think they were sewn from a then well-known company that sold sewing kits called "Frostline".

The tent dies long ago after I put it in the washing machine, but the bag is still going strong.

Rick B

dixicritter
2003-01-30, 12:15
Rick B That sounds really cool to me.

I've sewn quite a bit for Sgt Rock. I think that pack was the hardest project to date, tho.

I really don't mind the sewing too much, just don't tell him that ok? ;)

dixicritter
2004-11-19, 09:09
~dusting off the cobwebs in here~

Rock has asked for only one thing for Christmas. Yep that means more sewing..LOL. This time it is an insulated jacket (can't remember the name he gave me for it but I know he'll be in here to clear that up... ;) ).

Anyone else doing any sewing projects this holiday season? Wait, I might better not ask LOL.

Lanthar
2004-11-19, 13:41
IS it the one on through hiker?

Pappyhighlife
2004-11-19, 14:45
You see... my bride of 30 years really hates my hobby trail riding, sure if my gear breaks down she will always repair it for me. But that's back at basecamp.

Since I don't sew worth a spit I carry my DUC tape. Yes that amazing cure all for rips and tears. I got yer clear DUC tape I got yer Cammo DUC tape I even got the silver DUC tape. I once made DUC tape gaithers.

Years ago I told my wife she could come with me if she could help carry the group gear, she declined. But she did give me a strapping son, who has grown to a working height of six five and 285 pounds. I always taught the boy, the more gear you carry, the faster you can get down the hill. He has always been a little gullable, but he does roll good.

Rosaleen
2004-11-19, 15:17
Usually I can't get hubby to hike with me, but one weekend he did agree. That was whittled down to an overnighter because of other commitments. He calls if "The Death March That You Forced ME to Take." Guess who was in front most of the way???

So, hoping he might enjoy our excursion, I hid his old 6-pound-empty pack and other former Scoutmaster gear. Then, I moved the shoulder harness attachment point so that my Gearskin would work for him, oufitted him with a Hennessy Explorer and other newer, lighter things. I carried the first aid kit and cooking stuff, since it was already in my pack. He was amazed.

Last summer, when I had some airmiles that would expire if unused, I coaxed him into visiting Yellowstone Park. I did the planning and packeing of the shared gear, suggested some clothing, and WISHED I'd done his packing. I thought he had WAY too much bulky stuff. No, I didn't carry it, but I did have to figure out how to get it to and from the airports and fit our stuff into the rental car. He still thanks me every once in awhile for a great trip. Plus, he was amazed at some of the foods I came up with for us. Most of our meals I figured out months in advance and maybe 70% or more of them were foods I'd plan for backpacking.

So, after only a couple of nights that I had to show him how to set up his hammock, he was a pro. Same for take down and packing. He MIGHT even be ready to reconsider clothing to save weight and space.

There IS hope!

Rosaleen

dixicritter
2004-11-19, 17:56
IS it the one on through hiker?
Yes Lanthar, that is the one. He also wants me to sew the pants for him at some point. I told him I'd consider it...LOL.

Lanthar
2004-11-21, 23:17
:D I'm considering conning my sister who has recently gotten into sewing to make the pants and jacket for me for christmas ;) not sure If I can get her to do the insulated jacket though... I might try... :D

Redleg
2004-11-22, 12:50
I'm the primary hiker, sorry. As a single Dad of a 10 yr old boy, I do a lot of sewing (I work for a living, clothing are expensive). Polerfleese hats and vests, ok the rain shell pants were easy and the jacket not that much harder.
BUT, Getting the stich and tension on 0.8 oz sil imp. correct is darned well impossible. My poncho tent is taking me longer to do (with only 4 seams) then the 2 jackets projects! Put together! I am too stuborn to quit and just buy one.
Any ideas?
jaf

j.johnson
2004-11-23, 08:02
I'm the sewer in the family here in Texas, my family owns a custom drapery bussness and I have been sewing for about 25 years, I allways carry some sort of sewing kit with me in my pack. The most resent repair job I had to do was last January, my 4 brother-in-laws and father-in-law went backpacking near Austin Tx. and one of the pack straps snapped in half,(it was an old axternal alluminum frame pack from goodwill) trying to recycle. I stitched up a sleeve and some 550 cord to make a new pack strap. It worked for the trip and then my brother-in-law trashed the pack. Him and I have most resently purchased new packs by janpak. We are planning another packing trip this winter to go repelling at enchanted rock near Fredrichburg Tx. :biggrin:

woodrat
2004-12-19, 21:53
I recently bought a comm. sewing machine ,I have been making my own gear for years , I do not like to have to use off the shelf gear!. I have my own system and so its hard to find stuff made by others that works for me. Anyway looking forward to putting lots of hours on S.M. this winter!.

bird dog
2004-12-20, 23:45
If only I or my wife could sew...The possibilities could be endless and I would save some money...Hey, Dixie, maybe you could charge for sewing classes!

Two Speed
2004-12-23, 13:43
This isn't exactly on subject, but I've been trying to teach myself to sew at night in camp. My experience has been that about half of the gear failures or problems I've had backpacking revolved around a seam letting go, or a small tear or puncture in clothing. On my last section hike, the stitching on the belt loop on my water bottle holster started unraveling. Break out the old needle and dental floss in camp that night . . . a few minutes under the headlamp . . . voila! Gear failure avoided! Successful section hike continues unimpeded! Women faint at my feet!

Well, the fainting could have been caused by a lack of personal hygiene, but I prefer to believe it was the nifty repair job on the bottle holster. :biggrin:

All kidding around aside, I think sewing, either repairing gear in the field or making new gear at home, is one of the most under rated and least discusssed skills that a hiker can aquire.

SGT Rock
2004-12-25, 11:34
I agree. I have had to hand sew a few things by hand, and is all learning by Trail and Error.

dixicritter
2004-12-25, 18:59
<snip> Hey, Dixie, maybe you could charge for sewing classes!

LOL.... Yeah I'd have people paying me to quit the sewing lesson business.

Oh and btw this jacket project is tough! Of course it would probably help if I were not trying to sew with 14 people in my house at Christmas time...LOL.

I'll get to it soon Rock I promise!

DebW
2005-01-11, 23:25
I just sewed myself a pair of silnylon rain pants. Weigh 3 oz and fit in a quart size ziplock with room to spare. Luckily the black silnylon is opaque so I can wear it while doing laundry. I found the sewing on this quite easy (one seam on each leg, sew the 2 halves together, add drawstring in waist and hem legs) but I hate trying to get the pattern right. Now I'm about to embark on sewing a jacket and pack cover (ie packa ripoff) and this will be harder. Someday I'll try something insulated. Dixie, does your insulation get quilted?

dixicritter
2005-01-12, 08:20
The quilting was just one line across the back. To keep a good loft the instructions said that was all that was needed. (of course I didn't read that until AFTER I'd quilted a few lines in the collar lining, but it turned out ok...lol).

I did finally get the project finished (only really took me two days to do with breaks). The most frustrating part of sewing this one was the thread I chose to use was a thin nylon thread that kept messing up every so often.

If I can find it now that he's put it away somewhere, I'll post some pics.

SGT Rock
2005-01-12, 19:17
It should be in my pack downstairs. I don't think I compressed it, I just set it inside the pack.

The thing is 0.8" thick, has a windproof shell with a DWR finish, and weighs 9.7 ounces. It was supposed to be a medium, but I think the pattern comes in a little tight, so it fits more like a small. Thank goodness I am not a big guy. Here is a link to the site: http://www.thru-hiker.com/MaterialDetail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=mg132&subcat=Kits mine is made with the 0.8oz DWR shell and liner, but now they offer black instead of the blue that my liner is made from (same color as the one in the picture at thru-hiker).

dixicritter
2005-01-17, 17:14
Ok, so I don't go digging in his pack...LOL. I waited for him to get back home, then we got the following pics today.

dixicritter
2006-01-25, 12:01
I just ordered the parts I need to fix my antique Singer sewing machine (the kind with the treadle - no electric needed...LOL). I've been dying to see how well it does at making things like the pot cozies we designed and the stuff sacks for the Ion Stoves.

Just had to share... :biggrin: