PDA

View Full Version : Snake Skins

Peter Jordan
2008-10-24, 19:31
Hi,
i have the HH Deluxe Explorer with snake skin 4 which it came with. I want to buy the under and over covers as well as the under pad as it's getting colder here in the UK. I wanted to know if there is a snake skin big enough to take the under/over covers ( not the pad ) as well as the tarp. This would make sense to collapse everything into the skins rather than to separate them. I did email the HH website for an answer and they said the snake skin 4 is big enough but i don't think so as it's quite a tight fit already. Is there a bigger skin than 4 for these needs or should i be trying harder ?
Cheers
Peter

dixicritter
2008-10-25, 00:48
I don't usually collapse everything into the skins personally. When I'm using a HH I only put the hammock with tarp in the skins. My under and over quilts go in a separate stuff sack.

HikerRanky
2008-10-25, 10:06
Hello Peter,

I have a Deluxe Explorer with the #4 snake skins as well... What I do is leave the undercover on the hammock all the time, but without the pad inside of it... When I close it all up, it seems to me that the skins are fairly tight, and I kinda doubt that the overcover would fit inside.

I put my pad, the overcover, and the space blanket in a stuff sack....

Hope this helps.

Randy

Peter Jordan
2008-10-25, 10:57
Thanks for that.
I think if you had a bigger snake skin to take the under/over cover as well then it must be better, tidier and quicker than packing it separately.
By the way, does the undercover with the pad fitted work well in the cold?

JewDuh
2008-10-25, 17:06
Peter, I don't have an HH, but I was thinking of getting the JRB quilting systems... I ran across this (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Quilts%20and%20Blankets/Jacks%20R%20Better%20Hammock%20Quilt%20Set/Owner%20Review%20by%20Jeff%20Jackson/) article on backpackgeartest.org (http://www.backpackgeartest.org)

I'm sorry that I don't have any 1st hand information for you, but I think this review is very pertinent for you because it is a review for an over and underquilt set, and it also mentions Python Skins:

When I purchased the set, JRB included Python Skins similar to the Hennessy Snakeskins, which swallow the hammock and underquilt (still attached) into a tube for easier setup. Because of patent concerns, JRB has stopped manufacturing the Python Skins, but Tom Hennessy now offers a #4 Snakeskin set that will accommodate a JRB underquilt.

I remeber getting the impression that the #4 snakeskins work, but I thought I read that the python skins were bigger and could fit more, but I may be remembering wrong (It is more likely that I did read that information, just else where, and I can't find it now) I'm almost positive that the writer of that review is "just jeff" who hangs around here, and over at hammock forums (http://www.hammockforums.net) (pun intended) So he may be able to give you more info about that... regaurdless the python skins are no longer made. So they are kinda' a mute point. I just thought I'd mention it in case you ran across a used pair, or wanted to try DIY.

HikerRanky
2008-10-26, 01:30
Thanks for that.
I think if you had a bigger snake skin to take the under/over cover as well then it must be better, tidier and quicker than packing it separately.
By the way, does the undercover with the pad fitted work well in the cold?

It would be nice to have it all in one, but this isn't too bad really.

The other night I was in the hammock with the complete SuperShelter system, and had a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad and used a Big Agnes Crystal 35 bag as a top quilt. The only clothing I had on was a pair of knee length exercise short and a T-Shirt, and I stayed very nice and toasty. The low that night was 1 degree Celsius... I am a warm sleeper though, so YMMV....

Randy

rootball
2008-11-01, 11:58
Why not make your own set? Customized.

kayak karl
2008-11-01, 13:05
Why not make your own set? Customized.
rootball is right. heres a post start you off
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1408

Peter Jordan
2008-11-03, 14:05
Thanks chaps, i never thought of making some. I'll take a look.