PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes

FireFighter56
2008-11-02, 01:32
anyone have a Big Agnes sleeping bag....wanna see what ppl have to say about them...bin looking at one...i hate mummy bags and a quilts are out of the question at 300$ ...so looking at sleeping bags that give u room to move and will be backpacker friendly....my funds are 150$

EMAN
2008-11-04, 09:40
OK....I've had one for several years now. Started out with the Horse Thief 35 degree and now have a Zirkel 20 degree. The BA bags pretty much offer the most room of any consumer used, mass produced bag out there. Still, when I first got the Horse Thief, I had to use one of BA's "wedgie" bag expanders because I weighed a freakin' ton and couldn't roll around.
I've since lost about 50 lbs and no longer need the expander.
I like the BA bags system of putting the pad in a pocket. Even though the pad is only 20" wide (and though I have lost weight, I reckon I'm still a pretty wide load) I don't have any problems rolling off the pad. The bag is lighter of uneeded insulation on the bottom.
The downs for me have been a zipper going bad on the first expander (which BA gladly replaced with a new one, it is still new in the package and is available at a decent savings to anyone interested...hahaha) and I think the temp ratings are optimistic. I slept on the BMT one night when it got to 22 degrees and I was cold! I didn't take enough warm clothing to compensate but I still think I was colder than I should have been. This also occured one night when it was 35 degrees near the fireplace inside Hobbs cabin at the Savage Gulf area. I was on a top bunk away from the warmth of the fire and I noticed my top layer was chilly at least.
I use a silk liner sometimes and that helps.
I also had some small trouble with their pads. I had one develop a leak which they happily replaced with a "right off the shelf" item that leaked when I got it. I think they sort of doubted my word, probably figuring that I was setting up in broken glass or something, but they replaced that one as well.
I have had no further troubles and, as stated, I like the stuff.

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-10, 00:05
I love the BA pad. I don't know about the sleeping bags because I'm bigger than you've ever been and that's why I use an e-large wallcreeper - usually as a quil.

rbd
2008-11-10, 13:57
Check out this link to the factory for 2007 closeouts and pre-production items - if there's actually any left - as they sell fast - there's are no returns for these items: http://www.bigagnes.com/str_specials.php
I have a Lost Ranger bag which I like - the down can be compressed to be fairly small. I haven't used it in a hammock, but have heard the BA system works well in a hammock. I have bought used tents from the factory (same link as above) which were in excellent condition.

joe8484
2008-11-14, 21:22
I have two BA bags and an insulated pad. Great products! What temp bag are you looking for? I will be selling my 40* bag soon because I just switched to a hammock and prefer a quilt to a bag.

goldbond
2008-11-18, 13:19
My son uses one I do not recall the model. It allows you to slip the pad in a bottom sleeve and that way you won't slide off. He loves it and has had it for two years now with no complaints.

taildragger
2008-11-18, 14:16
I agree with Eman on the temp ratings. I sleep warm and I got cool in a 30* bag when temps hit the 30's. I like the idea of having the pad attached to you, but unless you're the width of the pad, it doesn't seem like too good of an idea. I'd get something like TNF cats meow, or some down bag on sale instead of a big agnes system.

EMAN
2008-11-19, 22:34
Yeah...the pads a bit on the slim side for a large frame. When I first started using the stuff, I couldn't figure out what to do with my arms if I laid on my back (and believe me, that position incurs a whole lotta problems too....more for others as I reckon I snore like a friggin chain saw...sorry folks). I discovered that if I put my extra clothes in beside me, I did OK. I've slept on those things for 3 or 4 years now and according to some descriptions, I've been told I sleep pretty well (please note previous mention of logging operations and apologies thereof).

Rosaleen
2008-11-20, 08:02
Consider perusing the used gear offerings or making your own bag. Much of my gear was purchased used. What you do have against a quilt? They can be easy to make, especially if you make one by cutting down a sleeping bag or use synthetic fill. By your age and apparent profession, I imagine you are able to handle more weight than this mother of a firefighter.

FireFighter56
2008-11-21, 01:16
very true....but i am a bit of a gram weenie ...the less weight the better ....true i am use to 125lbs at a time hanging off me and thats dry add water weight...looking at about 145 to 155 lbs ...but when i'm hiking i want to enjoy mysef...not kill myself...try draggin around 125 of 10 hours.....tell me how u feel after u are all done lol...the only think i have on quilts is they ae 300+ $$$ i don't have that kind of money to spend on a quilt..used bag is not an issue...but it is a 40deg bag i'm looking for a 15 to 30 deg bag i have a 40 deg bag now...want something with a better temp rating ....as i also have used gear :)

if i could get a used quilt cheap i would...just non to be found

Rosaleen
2008-11-21, 07:55
I'm glad to hear that while you are young and fit, you are not so macho as to need to show how tough you are by carrying too much. Wow, "all that" and the brains of a more mature man! You may be a "good catch!" (No, I'm not looking (married for 38+ years) and have sons, not daughters.)

End of flowers and back to your original questions. You have now defined that it isnot the quilt idea to which you object, but the prices that you hav seen. May I suggest that you consider making a quilt, from scratch OR, much easier, keep an ey out for a used bag that you can cut down, even if you pay someone to cut it down.

One method to consider: Find a mummy bag that fits, preferably on with no side baffles and allows the down to be shifted between the top and bottom for a greater temperature range. Then, you can go with a higher temp bag, shake the down to the top, stitch around the area you plan to cut from the bottom, and cut that out. I might finish that cut edge with some bias tape, adding some elastic cord to snug up the opening. Another method is to start as I outlined above, but cut the bag into a more open quilt, no hood, and add some straps that pass under your pad and snug the quilt around you. You will need something to keep your head warm.

If you can watch for a super close-out or a good deal on a used bag, you may have enough left to pay someone to alter the bag.

Good luck!

Rosaleen

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-21, 09:42
very true....but i am a bit of a gram weenie ...the less weight the better ....true i am use to 125lbs at a time hanging off me and thats dry add water weight...looking at about 145 to 155 lbs ...but when i'm hiking i want to enjoy mysef...not kill myself...try draggin around 125 of 10 hours.....tell me how u feel after u are all done lol...the only think i have on quilts is they ae 300+ $$$ i don't have that kind of money to spend on a quilt..used bag is not an issue...but it is a 40deg bag i'm looking for a 15 to 30 deg bag i have a 40 deg bag now...want something with a better temp rating ....as i also have used gear :)

if i could get a used quilt cheap i would...just non to be foundThe Exped Wallcreeper (http://www.altrec.com/exped/wallcreeper-30-degree-sleeping-bag) solved this dilemma for me. A down, 30 F bag that weighs about 2 lbs. It is a bag with a hood that has zippered draft-guarded holes for your arms, a drawstring at the bottom that allows you to open op the bottom and cinch it around your waist (it is about knee length in this configuration), hand warmer pockets for when worn in camp, and has a full length separable zipper which allows it to be used both as a quilt or bag depending on what is needed.

http://www.campist.com/archives/exped-wallcreeper-sleeping-bag.jpg

DragonAss
2008-11-21, 16:11
The Exped Wallcreeper (http://www.altrec.com/exped/wallcreeper-30-degree-sleeping-bag) solved this dilemma for me. A down, 30 F bag that weighs about 2 lbs. It is a bag with a hood that has zippered draft-guarded holes for your arms, a drawstring at the bottom that allows you to open op the bottom and cinch it around your waist (it is about knee length in this configuration), hand warmer pockets for when worn in camp, and has a full length separable zipper which allows it to be used both as a quilt or bag depending on what is needed.

http://www.campist.com/archives/exped-wallcreeper-sleeping-bag.jpg
Nice looking setup Dino. I'll have to check into it. I've been using a Big Ag -0 Yellow Wall bag for my last few trips and have enjoyed it. It uses the Primaloft SB and compresses as well as my old down Gilpin but weighs almost a pound more. 3# 2oz compared to 2# 6oz . I sleep alot better in it but haven't been able to use it at less than 15* so I'm not sure of it's temp accuracy. Moisture and condensation are no longer the concerns they used to be.

TaTonka

FireFighter56
2008-11-26, 23:57
Hmmm....lots of great ideas ....i also just seen that Jacks-R-Better is having a sale on there quilt...and they are doin a payment plan on a few ...i may order one next month if they are still running that...i could do 125$ a month...better that 300$ :P

i would have to say out of all the gear i have ..and all the gear i tried picking the right sleeping bag has to be the hardest thing i ever had to do ...well gear-wise lol...it's just so hard to find a good bag that will fit my needs