PDA

View Full Version : Hikes not on the AT

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-12, 18:07
What are your favorite places to hike off the AT and why?

DragonAss
2008-11-12, 18:25
Favorite place: the Grand Canyon

Why?: No packsniffers. and very few wanna bees.

kayak karl
2008-11-12, 19:23
What are your favorite places to hike off the AT and why?
Wharton Forest in NJ Pines. Quiet, easy to get to. different trails to take and a LOT of history:biggrin:
most resent hike http://www.flickr.com/photos/90675553@N00/sets/72157608221737347/

AND:ahhhhh:

http://theshadowlands.net/jd1.gif

Bearpaw
2008-11-12, 19:43
Locally, Savage Gulf State Natural Area, Tennessee.

Otherwise, the Colorado Trail, especially Creede to Silverton. And the Wind River Range of Wyoming.

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-12, 23:33
[QUOTE=kayak karl;52841]Wharton Forest in NJ Pines. Quiet, easy to get to. different trails to take and a LOT of history:biggrin:
most resent hike http://www.flickr.com/photos/90675553@N00/sets/72157608221737347/

How bad was the recent fire? I heard it was a lot of acres.

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-12, 23:48
Quiet.... Ridley Creek State Park is very crowded at times. I discovered a "back" trail that connects from the RC to Tyler Arboretum. (most of the connectors were removed in the last few years) During the week Tyler closes at 4or 5 leaving several hundred acres wood, vacant for several hours.

Bear
2008-11-13, 00:18
Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas

Loop trail so you don't have to shuttle, plenty of water, beautiful mountains, and best mountain trail close to home. 8 hours

EZ from NY
2008-11-13, 07:09
Harriman State Park....Lotsa trails, lotsa history, negative side: lotsa people but not in wintertime.

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-13, 08:00
::: Dino seen taking notes and thanking people for suggestions :::

We Dinos are frolicking off for a few days - see y'all on Sunday unless the motel has wireless....

sheepdog
2008-11-13, 08:45
Picture Rocks National Lake Shore on the coast of Lake Superior.

kayak karl
2008-11-13, 08:56
[QUOTE=kayak karl;52841]Wharton Forest in NJ Pines. Quiet, easy to get to. different trails to take and a LOT of history:biggrin:

How bad was the recent fire? I heard it was a lot of acres.

not as bad as it could of been. http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=5766 its just hard to accept that if the pines dont burn they'll die. its amazing how quick they come back

deadeye
2008-11-13, 19:58
New York's Adirondacks. Gets a bit crowded in the High Peaks area, but outside of that there's a whole lotta space. Also loads of trails in the Whites - the AT is just one narrow strip. And of course - the northern Long Trail, in my backyard.

taildragger
2008-11-13, 20:05
Ouachita trail

Black Range in NM

Wind Rivers (need to get back for more than a day hike)

4 peaks, AZ

GGS
2008-11-13, 20:31
Porcupine Mountains in Michigan.

The North Country Trail in da UP! EXCEPT the part that goes through Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore because they have a dumb rule banning dogs in the backcountry...

MalTheElder
2008-11-13, 20:42
The Florida Trail (esp. the Ocala) & CCBC trail; anywhere up around Paynes' Prairie; Fern Forest in the middle of Broward County, FL (believe it or not---a little jewel).

Best,
Mal/HS

erin
2008-11-13, 22:08
Grand Canyon, gotta be serious as Dragon Ass mentioned.
Northern Arkansas, great hiking and views and not so serious.
So many I have not done and want to do......

taildragger
2008-11-13, 22:12
a + for Arkansas, never met a pack sniffer there. Most of the hikers either do short trips and thats all they really care for at the moment, or they are more hardcore. None of that little whiny shit of trying to be in between, even though the trails aren't hard.

erin
2008-11-14, 02:52
Yes, Traildragger, I was kind of feeling full of myself last weeknd. Hiking Arkansas again. Well, I could not find the trail. No blazes, totally covered with five inches of leaves. If it had not been for my eagle eyed hiking companion, I would have been lost or would have turned back. Five blazes in eight miles. No, the trails are not as difficult as the AT, once you find it. I took a pic of the trail.I wish I knew how to post it. It is a "find waldo" experience in total leaf drop. The fun part was at the end, going thur someones hay field per the guide and we looked funny circling a hay field.

erin
2008-11-14, 02:57
I am sorry, I shoud have added, that our litte group is used to hiking very poorly marked trails in the midwest. We went to the AT with maps, etc. We coud not believe how well our section of the AT was blazed. It seemed to be feet between blazes. Impressive. We laughed.. wow, this is not like home!

taildragger
2008-11-14, 03:05
Yes, Traildragger, I was kind of feeling full of myself last weeknd. Hiking Arkansas again. Well, I could not find the trail. No blazes, totally covered with five inches of leaves. If it had not been for my eagle eyed hiking companion, I would have been lost or would have turned back. Five blazes in eight miles. No, the trails are not as difficult as the AT, once you find it. I took a pic of the trail.I wish I knew how to post it. It is a "find waldo" experience in total leaf drop. The fun part was at the end, going thur someones hay field per the guide and we looked funny circling a hay field.

Thats what I love about it. I friend and I missed the trail at a jcn and went about 1/2 mile on an old grown up logging road/deer trail before we realized that weren't on the trail. I love that state, it would be overrun with people if it didn't get so damn hot in the summer.

EZ from NY
2008-11-14, 08:35
The most fabulous hike ever for me The John Muir Trail in '04. Whitney to Yosemite Valley. Awesome!

EZ from NY
2008-11-14, 08:38
Favorite place: the Grand Canyon

Why?: No packsniffers. and very few wanna bees.

Not for the .50 first mile or so.

EZ from NY
2008-11-14, 08:49
The Supai Village in the Havasupai Nation? Visit the Falls. Awesome!!!

DragonAss
2008-11-14, 13:23

The village and falls were seriously damaged by a Dam breech in Aug. They're still recovering and trying to clean up the mess.

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-17, 09:13
The village and falls were seriously damaged by a Dam breech in Aug. They're still recovering and trying to clean up the mess.Bummer. That one has been on our list for a while. I imagine I will have to get a mule to haul my gear out as my leg is gonna have everything it can do getting my rotund Dino hinney out of the villiage without a pack.

For those who don't know me, the largest muscle in my right leg is paralyzed so long, steep hikes with a pack are no longer an option for me.

erin
2008-11-17, 21:26
Thats what I love about it. I friend and I missed the trail at a jcn and went about 1/2 mile on an old grown up logging road/deer trail before we realized that weren't on the trail. I love that state, it would be overrun with people if it didn't get so damn hot in the summer.

Yes, Traildragger, we keep telling our friends...sssshhhh... on Arkansas. It has not been overrun yet.
Like your tale, once on a back pack trip, I was literally crawling up the side of a hill. We missed the trail We said...this can't be right and backtracked.

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-17, 21:27
::: Dino seen ordering map of Arkansas :::

EZ from NY
2008-11-18, 08:17
The village and falls were seriously damaged by a Dam breech in Aug. They're still recovering and trying to clean up the mess.

I remember seeing something on the news about that. Do you know where the Dam is? BTW not a very friendly tourist town except for the first grocery store the camp office and the hotel.

EZ from NY
2008-11-18, 08:22
Bummer. That one has been on our list for a while. I imagine I will have to get a mule to haul my gear out as my leg is gonna have everything it can do getting my rotund Dino hinney out of the villiage without a pack.

For those who don't know me, the largest muscle in my right leg is paralyzed so long, steep hikes with a pack are no longer an option for me.

The hike is about 12 miles no steep climbs except at the trail head for about a mile down the canyon wall. Then it just rolls all the way to the village. I do think that helicopter service is available. http://www.lasvegasregion.com/hiking/havasupai.html

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-18, 08:46
Thanks EZ!. 12 miles is about all I can do in a day anymore. I have to take rest breaks more frequently than most for the weak leg to be able to backpack. ood to know the path isn't steep for many miles.

I considered the helicopter option, but it just isn't the same to helo in and out. I love to hike -- it just takes a lot more planning and flexibility to continue doing it with the limitations I have.

BTW, the website for the villiage says it is closed to visitors until spring 2009.

EZ from NY
2008-11-18, 08:50
http://www.havasupaitribe.com/helicopter.html ...... just another option...its still a 2 mile hike to the CG and the falls.

DragonAss
2008-11-18, 14:44
I remember seeing something on the news about that. Do you know where the Dam is? BTW not a very friendly tourist town except for the first grocery store the camp office and the hotel.

If I recall it was near the 18th of August. The Dam damn was on a private ranch and was actually 45 miles from the canyon. It was a typical western earthen dam and actually inundated 2 water drainages. The village and falls were the most publicized due to the tourist entrapments and aerial rescues.

You're right about the hospitality. Unfortunately there is a very high incidence of alcoholism and drug abuse and a lot of disdain for the "invading white tourist" into what used to be a sacred area.

TaTonka

EZ from NY
2008-11-20, 17:35
If I recall it was near the 18th of August. The Dam damn was on a private ranch and was actually 45 miles from the canyon. It was a typical western earthen dam and actually inundated 2 water drainages. The village and falls were the most publicized due to the tourist entrapments and aerial rescues.

You're right about the hospitality. Unfortunately there is a very high incidence of alcoholism and drug abuse and a lot of disdain for the "invading white tourist" into what used to be a sacred area.

TaTonka

Saw some of that abuse first hand in Peach Springs. Damn shame what happened to that area. Anyone here check out the Skywalk?

ki0eh
2008-11-21, 10:24
One area I return to again and again is the Thousand Steps on PA's Standing Stone (also Great Eastern) Trail: http://www.hike-sst.org/highlights.htm
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER (http://twitter.com/vaporizer)

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-23, 17:42
Thanks for that url KiOeh - The place is a favorite of mine too. I just got back from the place three weeks ago, even got a dose of frostbite on the nose. - I am still having trouble rapping my mind about folk climbing that mountain daily and coming back down each & every day on those steps. And going to work on top of that! The townspeople must have been hardy.

I recommend 1000's steps to everyone!

Do you have a Lat/Long of 1000 steps?