PDA

View Full Version : Know your body and make the doctor's listen...

hammockhanger
2008-11-15, 10:17
As most know I left my hike along the GET in 2007 due to severe knee pain. I tried 2 more smaller hikes only to abort due to pain.

I went to my primary care physician and was told I was over fifty and these things start to happen. I should stop hiking and take anti-inflammatories for the arthritis.

I felt that it was more then arthritis, so I went to an orthopedist. He basically told me I was fat and should take up biking.

I lived with the pain for a while longer then decided it was not just arthritis, age and weight!! I sought out another orthopedist and told him what the others had said. I pleaded with him to check other possible diagnosis. He did send me for an MRI, which showed NO torn meniscus. However, he thought that cortisone and the Synvisc injections may help. After 6 months of this therapy I returned to the doctor still in pain. Finally he decided to do arthroscopic surgery as the MRI could be wrong!!

Surgery was yesterday. I did indeed have a torn meniscus, bone spurs on the upper and lower bone, as well as something with a ligament. Fortunately the doctor was able to repair the meniscus, sand down the bone spurs and correct whatever was wrong with the ligament. YEAH!!!

MORAL: If you know your body and you think that there is something wrong do whatever you have to, to find a doctor who will listen and address your issues. As in my case , yes I'm over 50, yes I a bit overweight, but I knew that there was something WRONG.

Now I'll do whatever PT is needed to get me moving again.

As far as the surgery itself, I was sick as a dog from the morphine and Oxycontin but the leg didn't hurt all that much. Today the swelling is down and I am relaxing on the couch.

Footslogger
2008-11-15, 11:48
[QUOTE=hammockhanger;53886]

MORAL: If you know your body and you think that there is something wrong do whatever you have to, to find a doctor who will listen and address your issues. As in my case , yes I'm over 50, yes I a bit overweight, but I knew that there was something WRONG.

======================================

...and most of all remember that MRI is only a tool - - not a foolproof technology. I've been doing MRI for a living now for over 4 years. I have seen both false negatives (such as in this case) AND false positives.

Trust your senses ...

Heal up Sue, and keep us posted on your progress.

'Slogger

cool breeze
2008-11-15, 11:55
Good luck. Work hard. Hope to see you on the trail.

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-15, 23:02
::: Dino tail is curled around HammockHanger and rejoicing that she will hike again :::

sheepdog
2008-11-16, 00:06
Get well soon. Hope the knee heals perfectly.

Mother Nature
2008-11-16, 12:39
Sue,
I am SO pleased that you stuck it out and found out the problem. I have NO doubt you will be back out there soon! Stumpy said you had planned to get back on the BMT. You will shine in therapy and be pack ready in the near future I am certain

MN

Rosaleen
2008-11-16, 14:16
Way to go, Sue!

Good luck with healing and PT. Doctors can be idiots. It is too bad that we have to pay them, even when they are WRONG! My mechanic charges a lot less and IF he goofs (not likely), he will make good without a further charge.

You may want to take glucosamine in the future. It sometimes, but not always helps. One PT told my sister that a person has to start on it by 40 for it to work, but I've not heard that anywhere else.

Meanwhile, keep track of the symptoms that your pain meds gave you and the names of the meds. You might be able to use something else if there is a "next time."

Regards,

Rosaleen

dixicritter
2008-11-17, 18:29
HammockHanger... Glad to hear the surgery went well. Hope the knee continues to get better and better!!! :)

Stumpknocker
2008-11-17, 21:45
As in my case , yes I'm over 50, yes I a bit overweight, but I knew that there was something WRONG.

Hmmmmmm....I hadn't noticed!! :aetsch: Ooops :shot:

It will be good to see you out on the Trail again!! :)

:) Love ya Hammock Hanger :hello:

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-17, 21:52
::: Dino seen jumping for joy at seeing Stumpknocker :::

Where is your next adventure? Remember, I'm living vicariously thru you and Sue.... :D

hammockhanger
2008-11-17, 21:57
STUMPY: I love you too... :D

DINO: He not telling yet!! ;)

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-17, 23:04
Pardon the anticipatory twitching of my tail as I await the announcement of the next Stumpy adventure.

tom_alan
2008-11-18, 01:22

I had the same thing done several years back. At the timer I was riding bicyckes. The Doc asked if I was going to continue riding the bike and I told him I was. He said to use the lower gears so I wouldn't have to push as hard
and if I took it easy it would be the best P.T. for me. I think I only went into P.T twice so they could seee that I was getting full range of movement.

Your recovery is still in my prayers.

God be with you,

Tom

Stumpknocker
2008-11-18, 06:43
Pardon the anticipatory twitching of my tail as I await the announcement of the next Stumpy adventure.

Hello there Dino....good to "find" you again. I just found this site a week ago. I don't get much of a chance to spend time on a computer for some reason. :)

I'm not sure what my next adventure will be, but whatever it is, it will be playing in the snow. I'm wintering in northern Vermont this year near Burlington. I brought my snowshoes!! :listen:

I know I'll come up with something to do though before next year's adventure when I'm going to finally walk the CDT starting in April.

This thread was about Hammock Hanger...wasn't it?? Maybe I should say something about her........nah, that would just get me in trouble. Ha!! :afraid:

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-18, 07:18
::: Dino tail seen booking flight to attend coronation of Stumpy as triple crown kinda guy :::

::: Dino tail also seen booking flight to attend celebration of Hammock Hanger become first to complete the GET :::

::: Dino tail seen rejoicing as poor recuperating Sue attempts to get some sleep with that dancing tail around :::

hammockhanger
2008-11-18, 09:51
That's right Mr. Stumpknocker this is not your guestbook. Here you had better say something nice about the Hammock Hanger. :D

I do hope to pick back up the northern end of the GET come May. I wonder how cold it is in PA in May???

Gray Blazer
2008-11-18, 14:19

Good luck with the Physical Terrorists. (Just kidding, I loved my physical terrorist, I mean therapist.)

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-18, 14:31
Good luck with the Physical Terrorists. (Just kidding, I loved my physical terrorist, I mean therapist.)Enough about your love life :ahhhhh:

Hog On Ice
2008-11-18, 14:31
having been through PT for knees twice all I can say is to bring some good music - the exercises to build up the quads are some of the most boring in the world

hammockhanger
2008-11-18, 15:58
having been through PT for knees twice all I can say is to bring some good music - the exercises to build up the quads are some of the most boring in the world

I know. I did two rounds of PT before I could get the doctor convinced that there was "something wrong" that needed to be addressed!!

JAK
2008-11-19, 02:24
Well done hammockhanger.

We don't always have much choice but I read somewhere that if your a serious runner it is helpful to have a doctor that is also a serious runner, and so to with being a serious hiker. It's more than a sport to us. We know we can't do it forever, but we want a doctor that get's it.

MalTheElder
2008-11-19, 09:28
Sue, I'll tote your gear next time we meet on the FT---I owe you :adore:. Heal well, and pump that PT music loud as you wanna be!

Best,
Chuck (Mal/HS)

hammockhanger
2008-11-20, 18:50
Sue, I'll tote your gear next time we meet on the FT---I owe you :adore:. Heal well, and pump that PT music loud as you wanna be!

Best,
Chuck (Mal/HS)

Thanks... I may hold you to that!! nah!:aetsch:

================

Here is today's update:

I saw the dr today for post-op check up. He was amazed that I was not using a walker or crutches and that I am taking no pain meds. He was impressed with my range of motion. All that said he stressed that I don't over do things just because I feel good. There is still swelling and things inside the knee need to heal. He is putting me on PT. To start out slow and build up. He asked me if I had a hike planned and I said if all goes well I should be on the trail in PA in MAY. He felt that was doable and wished me well!!!! YIPEEE!!!!

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-20, 20:17
..... He asked me if I had a hike planned and I said if all goes well I should be on the trail in PA in MAY. He felt that was doable and wished me well!!!! YIPEEE!!!!

Hallelujah

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/cartwheel.gif http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/DinoDancingSinging.gif http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/cartwheel.gif

MalTheElder
2008-11-20, 20:35
Thanks... I may hold you to that!! nah!:aetsch:

================

I said if all goes well I should be on the trail in PA in MAY.

Geez, Louise, you'll be hiking long before I will. I'll catch up, tho.

Best,
Mal

Frolicking Dino
2008-12-02, 14:07
::: Dino peeks into curled tail and cannot find Sue anywhere - just a note that says "Gone Hiking" :::

hammockhanger
2008-12-03, 09:34
No not "gone Hiking" but that would be nice. I am on vacation with the hubby, not hiking.. Sue

MRH
2008-12-03, 09:52
Glad you didn't give up and found the problem... I too am just now having alittle heel and knee pain... I've got to work on that... I seen an 80y/o man on the trail the other day, I hope to be very active like that to the end...

hammockhanger
2008-12-03, 10:28
At 80 I hope to be doing whatever it is that makes me happy!!! Walking, sitting, hiking, kayaking....

Stumpknocker
2008-12-03, 15:20
No not "gone Hiking" but that would be nice. I am on vacation with the hubby, not hiking.. Sue

You're as bad as Chief is about this "vacation" thing. Niether one of you work, but love to talk about going on vacations. Chief gets his allowance every Thursday and gets four weeks each year "vacation" from doing nothing.

So, when do you get your allowance and how many weeks each year do you take poor ol' Jed on "vacation" with you?

Okay, okay....I think I just figured it out. You are on vacation from doing "nothing". I hope you take it easy on "vacation" 'cause ya just might strain sumthin" thar girl.

One more thing Hammock Hanger....how long till you get back from "vacation" so you can get back to doing nuthin' again??

PS (Hope the knee is working again with no pain)

PS#2 (Love ya girl) :biggrin:

hammockhanger
2008-12-03, 16:30
Like you said Mr. Knocker I am always on vacation!!! And I get a nice size weekly check on my nightstand for doing nothing!!! One of the provisions of this "nothing job" is to occasionally go on a vacation with the hubby that does not included hiking....

Work's for me :).

peter_pan
2008-12-05, 08:50
Good choice Sue.... I'm sure recovery will treat you well, though it may not be fun

I just went thru a similiar experiance on a torn tendon at the rotator cuff ( left shoulder)...After negative xrays the doc wanted me to do PT.... I insisted on an MRI as well..... Two weeks later the MRI showed a tear that the ORTHO Spec said needed surgery....It went great.... PT was a pain at times but I'm 100 % over head , to the front, and side and 80+ behind the back range.

PT is really the key.

See you on the trail or at least at TD.

Jack/Pan