PDA

View Full Version : We all need to pay far more attention to avoiding chafe.

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-16, 12:49
We all need to pay far more attention to avoiding chafe.

In a recent post here someone got a great suggestion that Zinc Oxide is the best stuff on earth for chafe. A good suggestion provided you keep the area dry & clean and it clears up after a week or two. Once your skin is abraded by constant rubbing from underwear, clothing, or another piece of skin it opens it up for bacterial & fungus infections. Twenty miles of hiking on a weekend is all it takes to send you to the doctor. It can leave your skin like hamburger. The constant moisture is a combination of sweat & white blood cells & some puss as your body tries to get rid of the infection. It has to kept dry.

I am sure most of you have had a bought with Athletes foot, raw skin, surrounding skin falling off. Accidentally wipe yourself with a cloth to dry the area and transfer that fungus in the crotch area, and you are in for a fun time. If you canít get to a doctor here is what you need to do until you can.

First stop using the Zinc Oxide & powders if they havenít helped in the first week. Second wash the area with water twice a day and dry it thoughly with camp towel & paper tissue. Do Not use soap Ė the fungus loves soap and alcohols such as Listerine have no effect, just water. You will need to change undergarments often and wash one while wearing the other. You must keep your skin clean & dry.

Next trail town pick up Tinactin, 1 small tube will last about three days. After each washing apply to a bigger area than the problem, it will take three days to get some relief. A week and a half will produce a good result as the skin will be brown and dry and on it way to final healing. If you canít get relief by now get off the trail and off to a doctor. It is very serious if this hasnít cleared up in two weeks.

I hope you found this informative - Mark

warraghiyagey
2008-11-16, 13:00

Wondering if you could also help us out with issues of snot, warts, open running sores and oozing urinary tract infections.
That'd be great.
Thanks.
:beer:

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-16, 13:10
You really crack me up!

JERMM
2008-11-16, 13:16
You really crack me up!

there's a cream for that too :biggrin:

warraghiyagey
2008-11-16, 13:41
A rash of hygiene posts.

Rosaleen
2008-11-16, 14:08
Mark-

I don't entirely agree with your post. Yes to avoiding skin breakdown whenever possible and yes to treating broken skin ASAP to prevent/clear any infection, whatever the type. Tinactin just doesn't work for me, and, in fact, I may be allergic to it. I would suggest that your advice would be of more value if you suggested people go with the antibiotic/antifungal that they find works best for them. Backpackinglight.com is now selling a product that contains an antifungal as well as 3 antibiotics. Of course, it has at least one component that I am sensitive to, so I haven't tried it. Maybe the "shotgun" approach is wrong for skin issues, too.

If I'm hiking for more than a day or two, I carry some antifungal in a small container, BTW.

Regards,

Rosaleen

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-16, 15:02
I am not sure I follow you Rosaleen, Perhaps I wasn't clear. If after one week or two of trying triple antibiotics, Zinc Ointment, and powders (and by god don't put Gold Bond on it.) then understand you have to take it up a notch and Tinactin & the competitor is a good answer to clearing it up. A triple antibiotic won't get it by then, I never suggested a "Shotgun approach"

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-16, 15:06
Wondering if you could also help us out with issues of snot, warts, open running sores and oozing urinary tract infections.
That'd be great.
Thanks.

You know Warg - my wife occasionally peers over my shoulder and says things -(I think it's to make sure I'm not cheating) She knows your a guy and suggested if you were worried about urinary tract infections - you should spend more time in the feminine products isle. - She was just kidding!:bath:

warraghiyagey
2008-11-16, 15:09
I think I already spend way too much time there. . . :bath:

saimyoji
2008-11-16, 15:11
I think I already spend way too much time there. . . :bath:

is that so you can clean up the messes you make? :ahhhhh:

warraghiyagey
2008-11-16, 16:02
is that so you can clean up the messes you make? :ahhhhh:

Naaahh. . . it's to make the messes I'll need to clean up.

(Oh hell no I did not say that)

Dear Lord please. . . ya know what, let's just git tagither later, ah got the mischiff thing agin.

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-16, 16:31
::: Dino peeks over trifocals at thread and then remembers where she is. Dino seen about to join in the fun :::

warraghiyagey
2008-11-16, 16:48
uh oh. . .:angel:

Rosaleen
2008-11-16, 16:49
Mark-

I meant that what works for one person may not work for another. Your recommendation for an anti-fungal is wrong for me.

Another source is touting a triple anti-biotic that has a fourth component, an anti-fungal. That product is the "shotgun" type supposed cure (nearly) all. The anitfungal in it is one to which I think I'm sensitive.

We may can develop a bacterial infection not just fungal, if we have broken skin that we can't keep clean and dry on the trail. Sweat or prolonged rain would seem to cause more fungal infections, though.

Consider carrying a small amount of antifungal as well as antibiotic cream. One containment method is to squeeze some into straws, folding over the ends and holding them closed with a ring cut from the straw. Cheap, effective, light. Three attributes I like in gear.

Rosaleen

enviro
2008-11-16, 16:53

In a recent post here someone got a great suggestion that Zinc Oxide is the best stuff on earth for chafe. A good suggestion provided you keep the area dry & clean and it clears up after a week or two. Once your skin is abraded by constant rubbing from underwear, clothing, or another piece of skin it opens it up for bacterial & fungus infections. Twenty miles of hiking on a weekend is all it takes to send you to the doctor. It can leave your skin like hamburger. The constant moisture is a combination of sweat & white blood cells & some puss as your body tries to get rid of the infection. It has to kept dry.

I am sure most of you have had a bought with Athletes foot, raw skin, surrounding skin falling off. Accidentally wipe yourself with a cloth to dry the area and transfer that fungus in the crotch area, and you are in for a fun time. If you canít get to a doctor here is what you need to do until you can.

First stop using the Zinc Oxide & powders if they havenít helped in the first week. Second wash the area with water twice a day and dry it thoughly with camp towel & paper tissue. Do Not use soap Ė the fungus loves soap and alcohols such as Listerine have no effect, just water. You will need to change undergarments often and wash one while wearing the other. You must keep your skin clean & dry.

Next trail town pick up Tinactin, 1 small tube will last about three days. After each washing apply to a bigger area than the problem, it will take three days to get some relief. A week and a half will produce a good result as the skin will be brown and dry and on it way to final healing. If you canít get relief by now get off the trail and off to a doctor. It is very serious if this hasnít cleared up in two weeks.

That'd be great.
Thanks.

The best practice is prevention. In both cases.

Body Glide works very well for Mark's issue.

Partner selection and condoms works best for warrgehy's.

generoll
2008-11-16, 18:44
Speaking of chafe, here's a cheerful little tale that some of you might enjoy.

I work(ed) in surgery in Chattanooga and overheard some surgeons discussing a case a few years back. In the summer every year Chattanooga hosts a weekend long bicycle race. It runs for two days and attracts the hard core peddlers.

Seems that one of the contestants got a rash in his groin from the summer heat. Remember that these guys wear those tight biking shorts which don't exactly ventilate. He was a true athlete and didn't let anything like raw skin slow him down. His rash persisted after the race and he apparently either didn't treat it or unsuccessfully treated it. Heard of MRSA? Methiciilin Resistant Staph Aureus. He got it and it ate his scrotum. It continued to spread and the surgeons eventually had to first do a colostomy and then build him a new asshole. They had to implant his surviving testical in his thigh to keep it viable and then once they got the infection under control build him a new scrotum using skin grafts.

Just a little something to keep in mind next summer as things warm up and your balls start to itch.

Happy trails.

Skidsteer
2008-11-16, 18:49
Dayymmmm....

warraghiyagey
2008-11-16, 19:01
Generoll - you're killin me man, I don't even know where to start with that one. :afraid::adore::biggrin:

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-16, 19:22
Mark-

I meant that what works for one person may not work for another. Your recommendation for an anti-fungal is wrong for me.

Another source is touting a triple anti-biotic that has a fourth component, an anti-fungal. That product is the "shotgun" type supposed cure (nearly) all. The anitfungal in it is one to which I think I'm sensitive.

We may can develop a bacterial infection not just fungal, if we have broken skin that we can't keep clean and dry on the trail. Sweat or prolonged rain would seem to cause more fungal infections, though.

Consider carrying a small amount of antifungal as well as antibiotic cream. One containment method is to squeeze some into straws, folding over the ends and holding them closed with a ring cut from the straw. Cheap, effective, light. Three attributes I like in gear.

Rosaleen

Ok now I understand what you are trying to say - maybe not. I went to the UL website and although I tried to look up the product you mentioned I could not find it (not a member) I didn't see any shotgun products on webmd. I like your idea of straws (very nice)

and as I said before this information is when the antibiotic doesn't provide relieve after two weeks. So to recommend yet another antibiotic would be pointless.

I also mentioned there is a competitive product with different ingredients that does the same job. It sits right next to Tinactin on most shelves. It's called Lotrimin AF and both are different and both have warnings for women.

Generoll - before posting I was reading up on this for the last three days before I typed this and I saw pictures of what you mentioned. I also found one where severed arm was reattached to the groin until the arm bud was clear of bacteria and puss. Can't post it here - I would be banned.

Hense the heads up for the thead.

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-16, 19:25
The best practice is prevention. In both cases.

Body Glide works very well for Mark's issue.

Partner selection and condoms works best for warrgehy's.

Body Glide

I have some - In fact I have so much on I just slid off my chair!

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-16, 20:48

I work(ed) in surgery in Chattanooga and overheard some surgeons discussing a case a few years back. In the summer every year Chattanooga hosts a weekend long bicycle race. It runs for two days and attracts the hard core peddlers.

Seems that one of the contestants got a rash in his groin from the summer heat. Remember that these guys wear those tight biking shorts which don't exactly ventilate. He was a true athlete and didn't let anything like raw skin slow him down. His rash persisted after the race and he apparently either didn't treat it or unsuccessfully treated it. Heard of MRSA? Methiciilin Resistant Staph Aureus. He got it and it ate his scrotum. It continued to spread and the surgeons eventually had to first do a colostomy and then build him a new asshole. They had to implant his surviving testical in his thigh to keep it viable and then once they got the infection under control build him a new scrotum using skin grafts.

Just a little something to keep in mind next summer as things warm up and your balls start to itch.

Happy trails.::: Dino's girly place is shivering in fear over this one :::

Cuffs
2008-11-16, 20:56
all this talk really chaps my ass!

Hooch
2008-11-16, 21:13
......If after one week or two of trying triple antibiotics...... A triple antibiotic won't get it by then...... Triple antibiotic ointment won't work on fungus at all. Antibiotics fight bacteria, antifungals fight fungus.

Bulldawg
2008-11-16, 21:18
No Hooch, Mark is always right, everyone around him is always wrong, didn't you get the memo??

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-16, 21:23
Triple antibiotic ointment won't work on fungus at all. Antibiotics fight bacteria, antifungals fight fungus.::: Dino now understands why first husband did not die when she applied the Neosporin :::

Cuffs - a case of this fine product (http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/) is en route to your home via Fed-Ex overnight.

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-16, 21:25
Triple antibiotic ointment won't work on fungus at all. Antibiotics fight bacteria, antifungals fight fungus.

I read it twice and I didn't get what the idea was, she was talking about a combined product that has both, I still havn't found it.

Hooch
2008-11-16, 21:40
No Hooch, Mark is always right, everyone around him is always wrong, didn't you get the memo??I care about memos like I care about meetings, liberals and attorneys.

Cuffs
2008-11-16, 21:47
::: Dino now understands why first husband did not die when she applied the Neosporin :::

Cuffs - a case of this fine product (http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/) is en route to your home via Fed-Ex overnight.

soooo glad I had finished my beverage! good one!

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-16, 22:02
I remember that website - hehehehehehe.

john gault
2008-11-16, 23:14

Happy trails.
Reminds me of a story I heard on the AT earlier this year, I think it was chief daddy who told me. He knew of some hikers that started about the same time he did (class of '08) and they were bragging how long they went with out changing clothes or taking a shower. One guy ended up getting a staph infection and had to get off the trail.

I don't understand why someone would take pride in skipping showers in town. I like my bottom to always be as clean as a baby's bottom - always ready for inspection :bootyshak

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-16, 23:31
Just remember once things get out of hand - stop using soap or try something acidic such as tomato juice or lemon.

pure_mahem
2008-11-17, 00:08
Even if it works I don't know if I want to be puttin lemon juice there!!!!