PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Gear

pure_mahem
2008-11-18, 14:33
I was browsing the Walmart the other day and noticed that they have started (big stress on started) to carry some decent hiking supplies. First time I've seen them carry a full selection of snow shoes. My local Walmart now carries mountain house meals. I don't use them but I've heard a lot of people mention them. Also carry some silnylon stuff sacks in a three pack. They started to carry Sporks and I even saw a double boiler lightweight cook pot. No real decent stoves yet but hey it's a start.

On the other hand Walmart has reduced what they carry, big time, in way of rifle accesories and cleaning supplies. They no longer carry replacement magazines for the .22s they sell, WTF up with that. If I buy a gun from some one I want to buy xtra mags WTF! Selection of cleaning patches and supplies are really limited pretty much one brand, Outers. I wish they'ld carry some Tipton stuff, like there whole freaking line! Something to give you some decent variety of quality products. They have started carrying some decent GPS units as of late though.:argh::argh::argh:

DragonAss
2008-11-25, 00:01
I've always wondered what Wally paid for subliminal spamming threads. Do they offer a decent discount or just payment based on hits? Last time I was in Wally World the guy in sporting goods thought ultra lite was any RV under 14'. Things might be a bit cheaper in the Mega Monopoly store but all you're doing by shopping there is accelerating the demise of your local outfitters or sporting goods store. That GPS might be cheaper but try to get some experienced advice of how to use it from the "associate" and you'll probably end up teaching him/her how to turn it on. Sorry for the rant but I've seen Wally World ruin a whole lot of decent businesses here in the Ozarks, which is where Walmart originated. Wal-Mart's present business philosophy is nothing like what Sam Walton built the company on. It used to be "Buy American", now it appears to be "Bye bye America"

Just my $.49 worth

TaTonka

Bulldawg
2008-11-25, 00:03
I've always wondered what Wally paid for subliminal spamming threads. Do they offer a decent discount or just payment based on hits? Last time I was in Wally World the guy in sporting goods thought ultra lite was any RV under 14'. Things might be a bit cheaper in the Mega Monopoly store but all you're doing by shopping there is accelerating the demise of your local outfitters or sporting goods store. That GPS might be cheaper but try to get some experienced advice of how to use it from the "associate" and you'll probably end up teaching him/her how to turn it on. Sorry for the rant but I've seen Wally World ruin a whole lot of decent businesses here in the Ozarks, which is where Walmart originated. Wal-Mart's present business philosophy is nothing like what Sam Walton built the company on. It used to be "Buy American", now it appears to be "Bye bye America"

Just my $.49 worth

TaTonka

Preach it brother. I avoid the place like the plague when I absolutely can.

warraghiyagey
2008-11-25, 00:39
I'm stocking up on their great big yellow molded plastic tent stakes and their 23 pound cotton duck print sleeping bags. Also a big fan of the Coleman 4 burner stove - I may need a heftier backpack for all this stuff though.

pure_mahem
2008-11-25, 03:26
Problem here is you either go there or kmart any thing else is at least an hour away. Not condoning it but it is what it is. I don't agree with the way they do business but thought I'ld point out what I saw when I was there I haven't been there in a few months. So now do I point out that they are trying to drive out the outfitters by carrying stuff we all actually might use instead of there china junk. Not that it isn't all china junk anyhow. I would say 90% of my gear I have purchased over the internet from someone elses local retailer. But I don't have a small time local person who sells GPS units so I think you know who will be getting the money for one of those this friday when they have there sale!

I have also seen what big Box does to an area and it's not just walmart it's home depot, sears, Price chopper, hanafords target it's all of them. I've seen hobby stores, pet stores, hardware stores and food markets close shortly after any of them came to town. But I guess it all goes down under fair business, but fair to who?

MalTheElder
2008-11-25, 03:28
I have to confess I get most of my kit from Wally World. I just can't afford to buy elsewhere (when I buy at all).

OTOH, I've got a pretty good, cheap winter setup using two of their $10 fleece bags (the green ones - no liners) and my JRB weather shields. One of them I hook inside the bottom WS as an underquilt, and the 2nd one makes a decent top quilt with a foot box. If it gets too chilly (below 40F) I either zip up more or (usually) add the top WS. I also have my hip-to-shoulder blue pad, though I rarely use it. I'll probably test this rig out again later this week, when we get down to freezing and a bit below at night. I already know it's comfy as hell down to about 40F. I'll also be looking to mate the UQ fleece with my GI poncho as a liner. BTW, WW has a decent light weight poncho---not the little Saran Wrap throw-aways, but something more substantial and still light & small. But I'll keep my old faithful GI poncho; it just works so well for so many things that I can live with the weight.

For the record, while sleeping I wear my old spandex cycling shorts, some synth-fleece socks, my long sleeved thermal undershirt, and sometimes my hat or fleece balaclava. Being diabetic, I almost always have my fleece mitts on---my fingers get cold in a Florida summer, for gossakes. I rarely zip the UQ up past my thighs, though I usually pull it up around my shoulders in the hours before dawn. When the temp really bottoms out I'll pull on my fleece long john bottoms, a matching fleece pullover, and a 2nd pair of socks.

Um, I should mention that I'm in North Central Florida, just off the Ocala Trail. I don't recommend this setup for you folk with real winters. You won't see me up north until I can score some decent quilts---I dream of JRB and Kickass quilts . . . sigh. To me cool is below 65F, chilly is about 40-50F, cold is down to the low 30's, and extreme is in the 20's with a wind chill taking it down to the teens or lower (yes, it often happens several times each winter here). To my wife, extreme cold is anything below 65F. In three years I've yet to get her to try sleeping outside (sigh). YMMV, of course.

I also recently scored a cheap ($20) but serviceable mid-size camo pack there, in the Hunting section. It's less cavernous than my old Jansport Hunter (which has officially died), and once I trimmed the extra crappage off, it's not too evilly heavy. I just can't get motivated yet to sew my own. Being a smaller pack, it's forcing me to both lighten up and cut gear volume.

Having said all that, I'd buy elsewhere in a heartbeat if I had somewhere local to go. Our local outfitter recently closed up their store, and the surplus stores are stocked with basically heavy and expensive gear (as was the outfitter). It's a bummer all around.

Geez, I natter on. Is there a point to this ramble? Yeah, I guess---even though Wally World is evil, you can put together a workable (dare I say comfortable and light?) kit from their shelves. Some of the best stuff, though, is not in the camping section. Look around, put things together in your head as you walk around, and it's amazing what you end up with.

My wife woke up and wants to play computer mahjongg. . . .

Best,
Mal/HS

GGS
2008-11-25, 12:27
I've always wondered what Wally paid for subliminal spamming threads.

See my post http://hikinghq.net/forum/showpost.php?p=57081&postcount=14

Chenango
2008-11-27, 08:17
Out of curiosty, why are so many people against WalMart? It is just another discount department store.

pure_mahem
2008-11-27, 20:40
I think it's because they litterally destroy local shops and businesses. The little business people just can't compete with them. They will go lower on anything they sell. Low prices until they put them out of business and then they jack em up because there is no competition. I've seen this happen to two grocery stores and three hardware stores and two sewing stores. And know there thinking about dropping the craft department all together not carrying fabric because it's a hassle. That's just freaking great after putting the other stores in town out of business that actually carried the stuff. I admit I need them for my income and end up spending my money there more than I like. This has nothing to do with the fact I have worked for them, 1 out of every 5 americans does or has. They employ more people than the U.S. Government! The stores going out of business may not all been walmarts fault but they certainly attributed to it along with the other big box stores in town. JMO!

warraghiyagey
2008-11-27, 23:55
I think it's because they litterally destroy local shops and businesses.

Pretty much what pm said

oops56
2008-11-28, 00:55
That dam line that says 10 items or less. I complain to the manger once how come you dont inforce the sign we dont then why in the hell do you have it.

taildragger
2008-11-28, 15:40
Out of curiosty, why are so many people against WalMart? It is just another discount department store.

I'm pretty much against the big discount stores.

I buy from American manufacturers when I can

I buy from the local grocery stores, I can buy bulk from them, so my organic pinto beans end up being cheaper than Albertsons, and the produce is 10X better

After having Backwoods (a small chain, but the only local outfitter in Norman) bend over backwards to help me get Salomon to replace some shoes that failed prematurely, I'll be spending more money there. I don't like their hippie ass stupid sales clerks, but at least they will try and help you, they just don't have jack for hiking experience (apparently one of them likes to brag about breaking a Trango 3, and he tried to convince me that I should hike the PCT with a golite jam because it was Ray Jardines pack, and he told me many times that Ray never hiked the PCT with a bear can. I asked him if he'd ever done more than read an outdated book about the trail, he got pissy. But, I think that dude got canned)

DragonAss
2008-11-28, 18:25
I think it's because they litterally destroy local shops and businesses. The little business people just can't compete with them. They will go lower on anything they sell. Low prices until they put them out of business and then they jack em up because there is no competition. I've seen this happen to two grocery stores and three hardware stores and two sewing stores. And know there thinking about dropping the craft department all together not carrying fabric because it's a hassle. That's just freaking great after putting the other stores in town out of business that actually carried the stuff. I admit I need them for my income and end up spending my money there more than I like. This has nothing to do with the fact I have worked for them, 1 out of every 5 americans does or has. They employ more people than the U.S. Government! The stores going out of business may not all been walmarts fault but they certainly attributed to it along with the other big box stores in town. JMO!

Pure_Mahem, I owe you an appology as I'm sorry I tried to label you as a Wally World spammer. You have a great insight into Wal-Mart business tactics and like myself, a profund appreciation for Wally's .:gob_spamc lack of pro-American loyalty and community responsibility. Looking back at a lot of your post I see I was out of line. I buy American when ever it's available but due to monopolizing bussinesses like Wally World that's getting harder every day. Sorry for the hasty post and hope to meet you on the trail someday.

TaTonka

pure_mahem
2008-11-28, 19:56
No harm done. Hope to see you out there sometime!

oops56
2008-11-29, 00:16
I no go to wal mart today black friday :afraid::afraid:.I went to the dollar store ever day same price.

FireFighter56
2008-11-30, 00:30
i goto wally world for my survival bag odds and ends..and my car camping gear ...u ca find some gems there...

oops56
2008-11-30, 03:07
Must time i just push the shopping cart so i can look at the women.

Dancer
2008-11-30, 12:37
I go to outfitters or shop online for my major gear but I do shop alot at Wal-Mart for small things and groceries. While I would love to support outfitters and mom & pop groceries but I can't afford to pay up to double what I pay at Wal-Mart. BTW, and I'm not trying to start a debate... Wal-Mart employees more people than any other retailer in the country....and right now they are working...I worked for SAM'S Club for 7 years. Great benefits and stock options.

ki0eh
2008-12-05, 09:10

About 15 years ago when they first came to central NY I was still living there and a community full of self-important folks two counties west of you kept them out. "We like our local stores, like... Woolworths" they said, with no hint of irony. Well they held out for 10 years but now when I'm back through there every couple of months seems like they have a new box store each time.

Of course in NY you have another insidious aspect to the drive somewhere else to buy phenomenon. Since county revenue comes in part from sales tax, every dollar spent at an out of town power center is money directly flowing out of the less-"box"ed communities.
________
Blowjob Swallow (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/362/swallow/videos/1)

CaSteve
2008-12-06, 02:01
Currently I'm living in a urban setting, but starting in 2002 I spent about 18 months living on my farm in Iowa.

The local grocery store received produce shipments once a week. And most of it was rotting on arrival. The local mom&pop hardware & other stores would close at 5pm. They never had what I wanted on-hand. They had to order anything beyond the basic nuts & bolts.

Traveling 40 miles to a Super Walmart was a real treat. Fresh food. Great selection of products. If Walmart puts small stores out of business, it's because the customers aren't getting what they want.

Gray Blazer
2008-12-10, 15:18
I have to confess I get most of my kit from Wally World. I just can't afford to buy elsewhere (when I buy at all).

OTOH, I've got a pretty good, cheap winter setup using two of their $10 fleece bags (the green ones - no liners) and my JRB weather shields. One of them I hook inside the bottom WS as an underquilt, and the 2nd one makes a decent top quilt with a foot box. If it gets too chilly (below 40F) I either zip up more or (usually) add the top WS. I also have my hip-to-shoulder blue pad, though I rarely use it. I'll probably test this rig out again later this week, when we get down to freezing and a bit below at night. I already know it's comfy as hell down to about 40F. I'll also be looking to mate the UQ fleece with my GI poncho as a liner. BTW, WW has a decent light weight poncho---not the little Saran Wrap throw-aways, but something more substantial and still light & small. But I'll keep my old faithful GI poncho; it just works so well for so many things that I can live with the weight.

For the record, while sleeping I wear my old spandex cycling shorts, some synth-fleece socks, my long sleeved thermal undershirt, and sometimes my hat or fleece balaclava. Being diabetic, I almost always have my fleece mitts on---my fingers get cold in a Florida summer, for gossakes. I rarely zip the UQ up past my thighs, though I usually pull it up around my shoulders in the hours before dawn. When the temp really bottoms out I'll pull on my fleece long john bottoms, a matching fleece pullover, and a 2nd pair of socks.

Um, I should mention that I'm in North Central Florida, just off the Ocala Trail. I don't recommend this setup for you folk with real winters. You won't see me up north until I can score some decent quilts---I dream of JRB and Kickass quilts . . . sigh. To me cool is below 65F, chilly is about 40-50F, cold is down to the low 30's, and extreme is in the 20's with a wind chill taking it down to the teens or lower (yes, it often happens several times each winter here).

Having said all that, I'd buy elsewhere in a heartbeat if I had somewhere local to go. Our local outfitter recently closed up their store, and the surplus stores are stocked with basically heavy and expensive gear (as was the outfitter). It's a bummer all around.

What's up, Mal? Yeah, I know what you mean. As for me I'll never be a great hiker cuz I can't afford the gear. I've actually got my pack wt down to 35 lbs. I could use a new tent (my current tent system weighs 7 lbs, but, it works, keeps me and my dog safe AND dry) and I would like one of those WM 2 lb-20 degree down bags. Maybe some day.

I'm a FL boy and almost froze to death (for real!) in the Nantahalas one time when the temp got down to 10 degrees. Now I've got the thermal underwear, wool socks, wool cap (synthetic), waterproof windshell (I picked that up at REI in Atlanta) and fleece jacket. My tent is warmer now (I made it a double wall) and I'll stuff my Wal-Mart fleece bag inside my 40 degree bag that Winton at Mt Crossings traded me for one of my pics/frames. If I survived the 10 degrees with a fleece WallyWorld blanket and 2 skinny rain ponchos and FL street clothes, I think I can get down that low comfortably now. The thermal underwear really helps.

About Outfitters......have you been to Gander Mountain on 200/Ocala yet? I want to go there and see what they have. There is Brasingtons in Gainesville which is not bad. There is a Dick's at highway 54 and I-75.

The next time the space shuttle blasts off and you go to the hill on Orange Lake to see it, call me (or PM) and I'll join you. We usually watch it from acrosss Paines Prarie.

taildragger
2008-12-10, 16:09
Currently I'm living in a urban setting, but starting in 2002 I spent about 18 months living on my farm in Iowa.

The local grocery store received produce shipments once a week. And most of it was rotting on arrival. The local mom&pop hardware & other stores would close at 5pm. They never had what I wanted on-hand. They had to order anything beyond the basic nuts & bolts.

Traveling 40 miles to a Super Walmart was a real treat. Fresh food. Great selection of products. If Walmart puts small stores out of business, it's because the customers aren't getting what they want.

I always find that phenomena odd. People out in the sticks generally need more selection in hardware, but most of the stores are going under. The grocery stores usually suck. The one place that I could do 'rural' by the places standards was the Hudson valley. Nothing was really 'rural' but I could do almost all of my shopping from roadside stands (as far as produce) and I'd get my meat in the same field where the produce came from. It was a nice system that I had going there.

atraildreamer
2008-12-10, 19:31
I go to Wally World once a month to stock up on a lot of basic household stuff and never fail to go through the outdoor products section. I look for the end of season closeouts and have gotten some very good buys that way! :biggrin:

BTW, last trip there I saw an internal frame pack labeled a "day and a half pack" for $20. Has anyone bought one of these? Is it any good, or should I just direct the $20 elsewhere?

Gray Blazer
2008-12-10, 23:56
I go to Wally World once a month to stock up on a lot of basic household stuff and never fail to go through the outdoor products section. I look for the end of season closeouts and have gotten some very good buys that way! :biggrin:

BTW, last trip there I saw an internal frame pack labeled a "day and a half pack" for $20. Has anyone bought one of these? Is it any good, or should I just direct the $20 elsewhere?

You're 59. What's $20. If you don't like it give it to a friend or a grandchild for Christmas (it's the thought that counts).

sheepdog
2008-12-12, 10:00
I keep hearing about all the syl nylon in the bargin bins at Walmart. I have yet to see any. When I ask, I get a "what are you talking about look". Has anyone really seen syl nylon at Walmart?

JewDuh
2008-12-12, 11:35

I picked up a pack at walmart at the beginning of the summer. Sounds like it's the same thing (Mine was $25-$30) Internal frame, about 1800 cu of volume, and a hipbelt.

I've used it for quite a bit of day hiking over the summer and fall. I have about 80-100 mi in it, and basically it boils down to this. You get exactly what you expect. It certainly doesn't use "Ultralight" components, but it is light due to it's small size. It has pretty good compression, but it's not quite enough to get down to true day bag size. The hipbelt is... well it's better than no hip belt at all (In most cases) The belt makes it to my hips, but the padding stops shortly there after. Making it not so comfy on the stomach. The secondary pocket is a waste. It just falls into the main compartment. I put my wallet and glasses in there, nothing more.

The suspension an back breathability have impressed me (Personally). Because of them I am glad with my purchase. It has served me well for day hiking especially "Full day hiking" where I'm out all day and need to take 2 meals (or a bunch of water) and maybe some books... etc. Or as an overnight bag where I know I'll need a change of clothes. The zippers are holding up for now, and I will never over load the pack to spare them any undue pressure.

Hope this was helpful

MalTheElder
2008-12-12, 15:00
GB,

. . . and I would like one of those WM 2 lb-20 degree down bags.
A 2/20 down bag at WM?!? As in WalMart?

. . . If I survived the 10 degrees with a fleece WallyWorld blanket and 2 skinny rain ponchos and FL street clothes, I think I can get down that low comfortably now.

Damn. I reckon you can :adore:

......have you been to Gander Mountain on 200/Ocala yet? . . . There is Brasingtons in Gainesville which is not bad. There is a Dick's at highway 54 and I-75.

I try devoutly to avoid 200---I lived in Ocala before Paddock Mall stomped into town. Maybe I'll brave the traffic and send you a report. We lost our Brasington's, as you may know.

The next time the space shuttle blasts off and you go to the hill on Orange Lake to see it, call me (or PM) and I'll join you. We usually watch it from across Paines Prarie.

Didn't make it to the lake for the night launch, though I had a great view (and sound!) from out back. It must be awesome across the prairie!

Yes, we need to hook up and get in some tree time this season. I even let my foot heal up, so I should be up for some 1/2 week outings, anyway. You know the territory---got suggestions?

I'm outta here---

Best,
Mal

Frolicking Dino
2008-12-13, 09:40
I keep hearing about all the syl nylon in the bargin bins at Walmart. I have yet to see any. When I ask, I get a "what are you talking about look". Has anyone really seen syl nylon at Walmart?I've purchased at least 100 yards of this myself and I know Rock & Dixi have gotten some. Just Jeff is the king of purchasing WalMart silnylon.

atraildreamer
2008-12-13, 13:09
You're 59.

Biologically...59...still 23 in my head!

[/QUOTE]I keep hearing about all the syl nylon in the bargin bins at Walmart. I have yet to see any. When I ask, I get a "what are you talking about look". Has anyone really seen syl nylon at Walmart?[/QUOTE]

Got that look last time I went there, too. Thought I had to explain what NYLON was, let alone syl nylon!

I have been stopping at the Dollar Tree store before going to Wally World. A lot of there stuff is identical, and a lot cheaper than the big W!

I'm going to buy the pack next trip there.

Frolicking Dino
2008-12-13, 13:51
Ask about that real shiny and slippery material with a ripstop pattern.

sheepdog
2008-12-13, 21:52
Ask about that real shiny and slippery material with a ripstop pattern.

I'll keep looking, even the fabric stores like JoAnns don't seem to know what I'm talking about.

Wise Old Owl
2008-12-17, 01:07
I'll keep looking, even the fabric stores like JoAnns don't seem to know what I'm talking about.

Not all Walmarts are the same - Most have ton's of cotton I asked for poly, tent material - not available at five stores.