PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife on the AT

steve hiker
2003-01-08, 12:23
I've heard there is not as much wildlife on the AT as in other hiking areas. Except mice, lol. Seems to make sense, given the traffic on the AT. Comments?

PushingDaisies
2003-01-08, 12:29
In the 900 miles I walked last year, I saw my fair share of bears (7). If I would have finished the trail, I know I would have seen lots more. :D

I mostly hiked alone during the day, so I frequently saw animals, especially deer.

The one animal that I didn't many of were snakes. I would have like to see more.

Blue Jay
2003-01-08, 12:41
I've seen quite a few different animals on the AT, from a Lynx while I was cooling my feet on a 100 degree day in Maine, to a few beautiful Rattle Snakes. In northern Virginia you could see 100 deer in one day, a giant Buck walked slowly acoss the trail 5 feet in front of me. I've been luckier than most seeing Moose in Maine. I think it helps that I get up at the Crack of Dawn. If at dawn, in the spring, you hear what sounds like birds fighting near a stream, go over and look. Twice I have seen baby Fishers fighting over a frog. In a Shelter in the "Wilderness", I woke to find a Pine Martin head sticking out of my pack. My favorite are the bears there is something very human about them (no offence to any that might be reading this).

Grimace
2003-01-08, 14:15
I tend to agree with Steve about lack of wildlife. I saw plenty of bears, snakes, Moose, Deer, etc. I was expecting more though. Thinking about it though, The AT is like a superhighway. Would you live near one? I've heard a lot of stories of animals using the superhighway though. A journal at 501 Shelter in PA had a story of a hiker foloowing a bear for 2 miles on the AT. You'll notice tons of Moose terd on the trail as well.

I remember reading a cool article in ATN about the highway thing. All about the land transfer arounf Killington and how it was beneficial for the bears inthe area who now had a protected corridor to walk through rather than having to cross ski trails.

Echo1
2003-02-09, 23:52
JUST A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO WHILE SB ON THE TRAIL JUST NORTH OF CAMP MOHICAN (NEAR BLAIRSTOWN, NJ) A DOE THEN A BUCK RAN PAST ME AT WARP SPEED. I THOUGHT IT WAS STRANGE UNTIL I TURNED MY HEAD AND SAW A COYOTE NOT 50' FROM ME. HE STOPPED, LOOKED AT ME, THEN TOOK OFF IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION. WISH I HAD GONE 'HEAVY' THAT DAY AND BROUGHT MY CAMERA!

Lugnut
2003-02-10, 01:23
I was nearly blown off my feet by the biggest flock of wild turkeys I have ever seen coming down the trail just before the stream prior to starting the climb up Max Patch. I thought the world had exploded! Don't know who was the most startled, them or me, but the breeze of their takeoff felt nice.:)

2ply
2003-02-20, 22:46
I've been using my hammock for a little over a year now and have had night time visits from raccoons, opossums, and skunks. Have not seen any bears at night, only during the day I was wondering if anyone ever worried about being a bears borrito?

2ply :confused: