PDA

View Full Version : Stove Durability?

brian
2003-01-30, 22:54
Altho i am a loyal soda can stove user, i am questioning the durability of the aluminium. Has anyone used a single stove:

a) for more than 10 hours running time- not in a row but overall
b) If the answer to a is yes, have you noticed any corrosion on the fuel jet holes? I wonder about this becuase the aluminium is so thin, and the heat would react and cuase aluminium oxide.

Any thoughts would be appriciated.

Brian

Didjfan
2003-01-31, 02:42
Curious myself of the life of a can under these conditions. I made a set-up that uses the candle to heat the fuel. This really heats up the bottom of the stovecan.

rosshike
2003-01-31, 07:58
I can vouch for the kat stove..its kinda sorta like a soda can....I have used it for about a year prob 20 hours or more...very little distortion around the vent holes...and no clogs yet.
Ross:D

pobbie
2003-02-01, 12:11
Pressurized stoves- the photon stove weakend from heat may split when under pressure also in the photon the epoxy may deteriorate from high heat as it is very close to the flame. the kiwi stove is an excelent pressurized stove for durability. use a needle to clear burner holes.
non pressurized stoves- last forever if treated with care the cat stove needs no maintenance. the scott H pepsi stove needs to have the burner holes cleared with a needle after using it for a while. I have probbaly used my pepsi stove for 15 hours no problems. the epoxy on this stove is not in the flame and is actually kept reletivly cool by the alcohol in the stove.

robbybob1
2003-02-02, 11:44
Brian,

The JB Weld material that I use in my stoves is good to about 350 degrees F. In the unpressurized stoves, I just seal the outer walls, which do not see direct flame. The boiling alcohol keeps the outer walls at around 175 degrees F, so there should be no trouble there.

Since the Pressurized stoves expose the epoxy to direct flame temps (1200 - 1400 degrees F, but only for short periods) you can see there would be a problem. The reason the aluminium doesn't melt is due to the backside cooling of the boiling alcohol. It also reflects the heat much better than the JB Weld (emissivity is the Physics term). That is why the over liner windscreens work so well!

SGT Rock
2003-02-02, 12:03
I've never had a problem at all with deterioration of of most stoves. My initial cat stove that is still in the garage somwhere started rusting. I figure it was steel based cans that were allowed to oxidize after burning.

My aluminum based stoves look cooler to me after the paint starts to burn off which takes quite a few burns. But there isn't any deterioration at all.

On the other hand I know a few photon users that had failures. Sweeper had one die about 500 miles into his thru-hike (you can read it in his journal at www.trailjournals.com) so he switched to a V8 stove like on www.thru-hiker.com

Didjfan
2003-02-02, 13:25
I made a couple different "Altoid" can type stoves using Perlite and screen. Got some good burntime results, but need to check boil times against the presurized stoves.
These simple designs seem like the way to go to me. Not trick looking as the Pepsi syle, but work fine. May not be as efficient fuel wise though.