PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive down jacket?

GGS
2008-11-19, 20:52
My current cold weather jacket is a snorkel parka I bought from the local PX store. Plenty warm, but heavy and doesn't pack down well at all.

So I'm trying to step up to something that's a little easier to winter backpack/pulk with. Something very warm for use when stationary in winter camp but can be packed down small during transport. I'm thinking of getting a down jacket and am looking for the least expensive yet reasonably functional option.

The one that caught my eye is a Cabela's 650 goose down jacket. They're selling for $79.95...

Does anyone know of a source for inexpensive jackets like this?

taildragger
2008-11-19, 21:20
http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442598109&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574488338501

Not the lightest, but not a bad deal either.

FYI, if you're willing to wait, you can get them cheaper after X-mas if they don't sell out. I waited, got a vest and a jacket for under $30, but they ended up being XL due to a mistake at the store, and they were sold out by the time that I called and complained.

saimyoji
2008-11-19, 21:21
llbean 650fp down $69

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=51590&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=26-dppfi

Wonder
2008-11-19, 21:42
Just got some down vests off EMS for $67

dixicritter
2008-11-20, 14:31
Sometimes you can find some deals on ebay.

flemdawg1
2008-11-20, 17:59
llbean 650fp down $69

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=51590&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=26-dppfi

Slightly more spendy but packable is the Ascent Primaloft Jacket.
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=56544&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

saimyoji
2008-11-20, 18:24

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-20, 18:37
I've got this jacket (http://www.rei.com/product/770317) from REI. The men's version (http://www.rei.com/product/770315). Both are water resistant, windproof, have insulated hand pockets and pack well.

JAK
2008-11-21, 01:29
I don't use down even when some trips include temperatures down to -30F.
In winter I use very light wind shells and a combination of wool, fleece, and silk.

Generically speaking, my current winter layering system is as follows...

Bottoms:
1. wool long underwear
2. silk bottoms
3. flannel boxer shorts (yeah cotton, haven't got wool boxers yet)
4. fleece pants
5. nylon wind pants

Tops:
1. wool long underwear
2. silk top
3. thick wool sweater
4. fleece top
5. nylon wind jacket

layers add up to about 1/2" to 1" which is alot if it is consistent. 90% of the time I will haved remove most of these layers. The big thing when its extremely cold is to have fairly equal coverage everywhere, in terms of thickness, and include a light wind shell just about everywhere. When you delayer for less extreme conditions you don't have to delayer evenly, as long as you remove enough to avoid sweating and keep enough everywhere to avoid frostbite. The wool long underwear might be held in reserve the whole trip, but I've got them if I need them, and would use them as sleepwear also on the coldest nights. The fleece remains packed most of the time also. The sweater is almost always on, except when bathing or sleeping or changing layers. I will wear clothes on the coldest night, especially dry wool, but usually not.

doughNut
2008-11-21, 06:46
GGS , I bought a down filled jacket from cabela's last year. By applying for a Cabela's Visa,I got a $20 discount, the jacket was already marked down, so I ended up getting it for $24 including shipping.
I am not sure if it's the same model you mentioned or if it was a discounted model, however it is light and warm and comfortable, and rolls up into a great pillow..

I believe the jacket from cabela's is well worth the investment.

doughNut

GGS
2008-11-21, 23:29
I've got this jacket (http://www.rei.com/product/770317) from REI.

If it comes with the redhead, I'll take two!!

GGS
2008-11-21, 23:32
JAK, looks like a good layering system. It strikes me as being perfect for cold weather _activity_... How is it when you are stationary at camp? Is it sufficient in single digit F temps?

GGS
2008-11-21, 23:33
GGS , I bought a down filled jacket from cabela's last year. By applying for a Cabela's Visa,I got a $20 discount, the jacket was already marked down, so I ended up getting it for $24 including shipping.
I am not sure if it's the same model you mentioned or if it was a discounted model, however it is light and warm and comfortable, and rolls up into a great pillow..

I believe the jacket from cabela's is well worth the investment.

doughNut

Thanks dude, that reminds me I have a $20 discount card and/or a Cabela's Visa myself which would lower the price either way. Thanx!

GGS
2008-11-21, 23:36

Uh.... Thanks for the, uh, input...

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-22, 10:18
Cabelas has some sweet deals in the 'Bargain Cave' (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/category/category.jsp?id=cat21404&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21404&cm_re=TopNav*BargainCave*112108). I got a ladies Goose down jacket in size "moo" for $30 bucks. They've got several other dealsfor both guys and girls.

Wise Old Owl
2008-11-22, 21:35
GGS these jackets are easy to compress, great for in camp warmth, and the best part if you get claustrophobia in the mummy bags, they make a great top and the bag becomes an "Elephant's Foot." At that price you can beat it up over the next year or two and buy another. I bought what appears to be the same thing at LLBean and it weighs 1 lbs.

A great lightweight addition to your pack good luck.

peter_pan
2008-11-23, 15:22
My current cold weather jacket is a snorkel parka I bought from the local PX store. Plenty warm, but heavy and doesn't pack down well at all.

So I'm trying to step up to something that's a little easier to winter backpack/pulk with. Something very warm for use when stationary in winter camp but can be packed down small during transport. I'm thinking of getting a down jacket and am looking for the least expensive yet reasonably functional option.

The one that caught my eye is a Cabela's 650 goose down jacket. They're selling for $79.95...

Does anyone know of a source for inexpensive jackets like this?

Watch the Jacks R Better site in the next few days, if you are also a hammocker...There is a special edition 2/3 under quilt coming that converts to a parka length vest at 13 oz... add the 5 oz sleeves and the 2 oz hood and you have a full winter parka for 20 oz and the UQ plus hood and sleeves (which double as sleep socks) to augment your top quilt....

Pan

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-23, 15:39
Dino keeps click this link (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/) 'cause JacksRBetter makes the greatest gear.

peter_pan
2008-11-24, 21:36
FD, et al,

Hammock ULers have flirted with 1/2-3/4 length under quilts and used sit pads or packs under the legs and feet. Certainly a viable concept.

JRB has just posted a limited time offer on a unique Torso Length Wearable UQ... A 2/3 length compared to standard JRB quilts, At 12.8 oz it gets the job done at about 25 % less weight. packs to 10 inch long roll of 4 inches in diameter... 3/4 inch baffle height and average loft of 1.5 inches.... all black color.

Perhaps the real beauty is that it converts to a full parka length vest with two way separating front zip...Add the JRB Hood, 2 oz, and JRB Sleeves, 5 oz, and you have a full down parka for under 20 oz.

This is a limited availability item. At this time it is not planned for JRB 2009 line.... Details are available here...http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Torso%20Length%20Wearable%20Under%20Quilt.htm

Pan

saimyoji
2008-11-25, 19:31
Uh.... Thanks for the, uh, input...

its called an edited post. like this one. :bike:

JAK
2008-11-25, 20:46
I don't use down even when some trips include temperatures down to -30F.
In winter I use very light wind shells and a combination of wool, fleece, and silk.

Generically speaking, my current winter layering system is as follows...

Bottoms:
1. wool long underwear
2. silk bottoms
3. flannel boxer shorts (yeah cotton, haven't got wool boxers yet)
4. fleece pants
5. nylon wind pants

Tops:
1. wool long underwear
2. silk top
3. thick wool sweater
4. fleece top
5. nylon wind jacket

layers add up to about 1/2" to 1" which is alot if it is consistent. 90% of the time I will haved remove most of these layers. The big thing when its extremely cold is to have fairly equal coverage everywhere, in terms of thickness, and include a light wind shell just about everywhere. When you delayer for less extreme conditions you don't have to delayer evenly, as long as you remove enough to avoid sweating and keep enough everywhere to avoid frostbite. The wool long underwear might be held in reserve the whole trip, but I've got them if I need them, and would use them as sleepwear also on the coldest nights. The fleece remains packed most of the time also. The sweater is almost always on, except when bathing or sleeping or changing layers. I will wear clothes on the coldest night, especially dry wool, but usually not.

JAK, looks like a good layering system. It strikes me as being perfect for cold weather _activity_... How is it when you are stationary at camp? Is it sufficient in single digit F temps?That's a good question. It depends on what you mean by stationary at camp, but yeah, its definitely sufficient for 0F. I did a cold night last winter with these layers at -30F, walked down to the river and across the ice and made breakfast on this small island. No sleeping bag. This 3/8"-5/8" of clothing, effectively layered and evenly distributed, was sufficient for standing around and making breakfast, out of the wind with dry feet. For several days of this I would definitely want thicker, up to an inch, but I still don't think I would use down for this except for my sleeping bag. Keeping your head warm and your feet dry is far more critical than worrying about how light and puffy your jacket is. It's better to add 1/4" of fleece/wool over the entire body than 1-2" of down to just 40%. Also, wool isn't only better when wet. It's also better for storing and recovering body moisture/heat between different activities. Anyhow, that's all good in theory, but everyone needs to test out there own clothing to see whether 3/8" or 3/4" or 1.5" is enough for what they want to do, under what conditions, and for how many days. In general however, I don't see these down jackets as being all that practical an addition to my winter system, for the reasons I've given. I do have a nice down parka I wear in the car and around town. I would also wear it down to the ice on another really cold night, to watch the coyotes or whatever, except when I'm interested in testing my actual winter hiking/skiing clothing system.

Binford
2009-01-08, 05:52
For me it would be a polypropylene base layer, fleece over that, then the wool (perhaps vice-versa on the last two), then the shell.

Were I going to get a down coat, I'd go to Goodwill. Seriously. You'd be stunned at what you can find there.

kyyote
2009-01-13, 22:05
Don't over look Overstock.com....I just picked up a down Bear jacket for $16 in a womens large to use hiking, in camp, just hanging around. For the money I'm not worried about "hurting " it. I think they still have some meds left. Black is your only color, but for being down, warm and cheap, works for me.

Bucky Katt
2009-03-04, 15:50
LL Bean tends to have some warm jackets at a decent price....will probably weigh more than some others...but if given the option of TNF and LL Bean....I'd prolly go with Bean.

Hog On Ice
2009-03-04, 16:14
assuming the thrift stores strike out consider checking Cabelas - this time of the year they will often have very good deals on down jackets

Jager
2009-03-05, 01:06
My wife bought me a Gotcha Glacier parka from Costco last fall for ~$65. I was dubious, but the coat is so warm that I've had to open it in -20 C temps.

Never heard of the brand before, but the darn thing is ridiculously warm. Has adjustable elastic cording under the arms and at the lower edge of the coat to let you 'snug' the fit to your body. And a ton of pockets, which I love....

Jager

Spogatz
2009-03-05, 12:15
I got lucky at REI and picked up one of their down coats for 30 bucks at their end of year clearance. I can't wear it unless the temps are in the 20's or lower and we don't get that much here in Ga.