PDA

View Full Version : Fire Building method

Geo.
2008-11-29, 00:26
Came across this method of building a fire called the 'Dakota Fire Hole'. Thought it'd be of interest.
Maybe some of you have tried it.
I like that it burns hotter, is small, and the ground can be returned near enough to normal after using it.
Looks like it could be useful.
Method is described here...
http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/the-dakota-fire-hole/

Bulldawg
2008-11-29, 00:28
I saw one of those survival guys on the Discovery channel do this a few weeks ago.

warraghiyagey
2008-11-29, 00:33
Best way I know to start a fire is to piss off a red-head.
:angel:

Geo.
2008-11-29, 00:38

Or piss on one.... ;)

Frolicking Dino
2008-11-29, 09:42
Or piss on one.... ;)Only the kinkiest red-hairs would be not be pissed off if pissed on.....

Excellent method for fire making. The side airway is ingenious -remedies the biggest problem with pit-type fires - getting air in the hole.

sheepdog
2008-11-29, 12:24

The problem is the fire happens while your asleep and continues when you wake up. I hate wakeing up on fire.

pure_mahem
2008-11-29, 21:23
I'm married to one! That's the easiest fire to start and a real Bitch to put out! Make the california wildfires look like a match fire!

MRH
2008-11-30, 19:18
I've cooked with something like this when backpacking/hunting for a week... works great...

Ray
2008-12-01, 08:36
Long, long ago in a place far, far away we made these in Boy Scouts. I think we saw a picture of one in a Merit Badge book or something. We even found a fast way to make one - just dig a slanted trench and lay a big coffee can with the top and bottom removed horizontally in the trench to create the air tunnel then fill in the trench, leaving the air hole and cooking holes. It worked ok. It didn't have the open fire that you could sit around and poke leaves and little sticks and stuff into to watch burn coolness factor so it never caught on.