PDA

View Full Version : Skull capping a deer

taildragger
2008-12-01, 23:15
Anyone have any good suggestions for getting rid of the fine tissue on the skull cap of a deer? I wasn't able to get it to come off easily with pliers last night, was thinking about letting it dry, then running some coarse grit sandpaper over the bones to rub off any extra tissue. Will this work well?

Also, any good tips for getting the tissue underneath the horns off, on my last two bucks I ended up with a little bit leftover here. It seems like it came off my other deer easier then it did these two old boys.

Any help appreciated.

Ray
2008-12-01, 23:17
Fire ants.

Bulldawg
2008-12-01, 23:19
Place outside in abnormally warm Georgia winter, wait for the critters to rid you of your remaining meat.

Skidsteer
2008-12-01, 23:19
Fire ants.

Beat me to it. Little fuckers have their uses, don't they?

Skidsteer
2008-12-01, 23:21
If, by some stroke of luck, you don't have fire ants handy just boil the shit out of it.

taildragger
2008-12-01, 23:23
If, by some stroke of luck, you don't have fire ants handy just boil the shit out of it.

Cool, cause I have the ants, just not too handy in this freezing weather, or else a burlap sack and a shovel would have worked nicely.

Skidsteer
2008-12-01, 23:36
Marginally Unrelated:

The most ineffecient, yet entertaining method to kill fire ants is to excavate one spade full of dirt from the middle of a big honkin' nest, fire up a mapp gas torch, and watch the little heathens commit suicide for the next two hours.

The best application, once the activity is safely commenced, is to hand off torch duties to a ten year old son and drink beer in an adjacent lawn chair.

Ray
2008-12-01, 23:37
Beat me to it. Little fuckers have their uses, don't they?In college we often used them to clean pots, pans, and dishes after Saturday night parties. Just hose'em off Monday afternoon and carry the stuff back to the kitchen.

vonfrick
2008-12-01, 23:53
i just wanna say

ew

carry on

Bulldawg
2008-12-01, 23:56
What's wrong Frick? I let my Lab lick my cook pot clean of the grits I made the other day on a hike. A dog's mouth is VERY clean and you know how hard grits are to get out of a pan once they dry? Well, maybe you don't........................................

Mutinousdoug
2008-12-02, 00:02
I gave a couple goat heads to my old dog to clean up but she ended up eating the whole things, horns and all. Hide? That too. If I hadn't fenced off the gutpile, she'd have eaten that too. (And then barfed it up all over the carpet). Nasty thing.
HTH

Doug

vonfrick
2008-12-02, 00:07
What's wrong Frick? I let my Lab lick my cook pot clean of the grits I made the other day on a hike. A dog's mouth is VERY clean and you know how hard grits are to get out of a pan once they dry? Well, maybe you don't........................................

what kinda hiker leaves food in a pan? :aetsch:

kayak karl
2008-12-02, 07:43
Anyone have any good suggestions for getting rid of the fine tissue on the skull cap of a deer? I wasn't able to get it to come off easily with pliers last night, was thinking about letting it dry, then running some coarse grit sandpaper over the bones to rub off any extra tissue. Will this work well?

Also, any good tips for getting the tissue underneath the horns off, on my last two bucks I ended up with a little bit leftover here. It seems like it came off my other deer easier then it did these two old boys.

Any help appreciated.
ship it to my Ex-wife. when it comes back there won't be a speck on the bone.

AMPEX799
2008-12-02, 16:41

Any help appreciated.

Gnaw it off yourself

Wise Old Owl
2008-12-03, 01:18
Head down to the bait store, follow these instructions....

mealworm
(http://www.efinch.com/mealworms/mealworm.htm)

This website has it all cleaned up... while watching a forensic science program from England, Meal worms clean up human bodies in about a week. reqires a bathtub and ten pounds of mealworms.