PDA

View Full Version : Had trouble pitching my tarptent to shed precip.

Bster13
2008-12-08, 21:55
Did some winter camping this wknd and Used my Ray-Way tarp tent w/ trekking poles for the first time. I pitched one end with the beak staked to the ground into the wind and the other as higher high as I could get it. Overall the thing rocked, but I had three problems:

1) I wanted a higher ridge line in order to make the sides of the tent steeper to shed rain/snow better, but I was limited by the height of my trekking poles and the fact that I staked one end of the tent to the ground. That combined with using my side guys to give me some more volume in the already low tarp, added up to a flat tarp tent that collected some snow through the night.

http://www.photosleeve.com/user/bster13/album/zombiesquad-12-4-08-12-7-08/item/1272008-047

2) I had a little trouble keeping my ridge line taut w/ the trekking poles. When setting up between two trees I use a taut line hitch to retension over time, but with the trekking poles I just wrapped the ridege line around the trekking pole twice and then staked to the ground. How would I retension that other than restaking as needed?

3) On the end of the tent I entered the tarp tent, I tied the beak to the trekking pole, mid-way down. What is a knot I can use there that I can a) undo easily and b) if possible retension over time? The thread is so tiny, a taut line hitch did not work well.
Thoughts?

Here's a link to my winter camping wknd. It hit 15 degrees one night and the tarp did great: http://www.photosleeve.com/user/bster13/album/zombiesquad-12-4-08-12-7-08

Bulldawg
2008-12-08, 22:07
What did you put the taco mix in?

Bster13
2008-12-08, 22:11
haha... I was experimenting with food. I put it in the cooking cup next to it...rice and unflavored salmon. The taco seasoning was strong so I figured why not....I think the quote of the wknd was:

"Hey guys, with the taco seasonings, ya hardly taste the fish!"

Good times...good times...

warraghiyagey
2008-12-08, 22:23
Trouble pitching a tent? Bummer.

taildragger
2008-12-08, 22:43
With a drop in temp, and humidity being in the air (judging by the snow), I'm not surprised that you got some condensation, that's sort of the nature of these things.

If you don't stake directly to the ground, you'll get better ventilation, and less condensation at the cost of some heat.

As for making my tarp taught with a hiking pole. I loop the rope around the handle, and I've already guyed out my other side, then I just pull 'er as tight as I can and stake. I might try and stretch it once more before I crash out.

Here's an example, we'd already loosened the tarp a bit due to our movement, and since we staked straight to the ground, we did have some condensation, not much though.

http://photos-h.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v238/35/35/9603766/n9603766_36583847_278.jpg

Bster13
2008-12-08, 22:46
Yes, I was willing to sacrifice condensation for wind blocking but I guess u don't use a taut line hitch for ridge line tensioning and u just pull it as taut as u can get it and then stake it to the ground like I did. *cheers*

taildragger
2008-12-08, 22:50
Yes, I was willing to sacrifice condensation for wind blocking but I guess u don't use a taut line hitch for ridge line tensioning and u just pull it as taut as u can get it and then stake it to the ground like I did. *cheers*

It was cold that night, and I hadn't eaten since breakfast, I wasn't about to waste time that I could spend eating trying to remember how to tie a proper knot.

The first nights pitch was much more fun and interesting due to the weather and terrain.

http://photos-c.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v309/35/35/9603766/n9603766_36583818_9922.jpg

It was taut when we slept, but I destroyed the setup moments before this. The diamond did work well with rain and snow constantly switching directions in the night.

Wonder
2008-12-09, 10:30
I find with my tarptent, the lower is not always better. staking to keep little creases tht can funnel water is much more important. THis many times means, with mine anyway, that you have to pitch wider.

Bster13
2008-12-09, 10:32
I was pitched as wide as it could go...I was mindful to keep things taut in case the wind came a whippin'.

Wonder
2008-12-09, 10:42
THe I don't know what to tell you. Is it a Shires?? If it is, you can call and he will help you out. Best of luck with it! I LOVE using a tarptent!

Bster13
2008-12-09, 10:44
It's a ray-way I made myself. I think if I want the steeper pitch I'll need to setup with a tree perhaps....I'll play with it in my yard...and yes I love mine too. :)

warraghiyagey
2008-12-09, 10:45
Best of luck with it! I LOVE using a tarptent!
Otherwise she gets stuck in a zippy tent and pees her pants. . .
:ahhhhh:

Bster13
2008-12-09, 10:50
TMI...TMI. (isn't that what empty nalgenes are for anyway?)

Two Speed
2008-12-09, 14:12
Otherwise she gets stuck in a zippy tent and pees her pants. . .
:ahhhhh:Soooo, tryin' to say Wonder's a big girl or something?

Kanga
2008-12-09, 14:34
With a drop in temp, and humidity being in the air (judging by the snow), I'm not surprised that you got some condensation, that's sort of the nature of these things.

If you don't stake directly to the ground, you'll get better ventilation, and less condensation at the cost of some heat.

As for making my tarp taught with a hiking pole. I loop the rope around the handle, and I've already guyed out my other side, then I just pull 'er as tight as I can and stake. I might try and stretch it once more before I crash out.

Here's an example, we'd already loosened the tarp a bit due to our movement, and since we staked straight to the ground, we did have some condensation, not much though.

http://photos-h.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v238/35/35/9603766/n9603766_36583847_278.jpg

dragger, you don't read none too good, do ya? snow on top of the tent, darlin'. that's the problem here... just sayin'.

Kanga
2008-12-09, 14:36
TMI...TMI. (isn't that what empty nalgenes are for anyway?)

yeah, for boys! i'm not sure i would even want to try it. not big on pee on my stuff.

taildragger
2008-12-09, 14:51
dragger, you don't read none too good, do ya? snow on top of the tent, darlin'. that's the problem here... just sayin'.

The way we put that pitch together should have done fine with snow. It was a steep taut pitch, and since his is the tarptent, I figured that image was the closest I had to what his configuration is.

Kanga
2008-12-09, 15:26
not your tent, his tent. first pic link he posted.

MRH
2008-12-10, 14:35
In the past with my old tarptent I would use a short stretch / bungee cord and put on one main line and stretch it taut. Keeps the tarp taut till you take it down…

taildragger
2008-12-10, 15:09
In the past with my old tarptent I would use a short stretch / bungee cord and put on one main line and stretch it taut. Keeps the tarp taut till you take it down…

I do this on my tarptent and need to do it to my tarp, has worked great for the tarptent.