PDA

View Full Version : Cozy alternative?

Perkolady
2003-02-01, 21:54
I've been playing with my new toy- a "Tang rehydration
chamber/mug thing" and i was wondering....

Has anyone ever tried using their windscreen for a cozy
instead of using a fabric one?

If not, I will try it out and do a comparison for the
results.

Thanks in advance!
Perkolady

:)

Streamweaver
2003-02-01, 22:52
The idea behind using a cozy is to insulate and hold in heat in order to cook food while using less fuel. stove windscreens are generally metal such as aluminum or tin etc .metal conducts heat quickly so wrapping just a metal windscreen around your pot will not insulate much better than the pot itself. Streamweaver

Perkolady
2003-02-02, 11:46
Thanks Streamweaver

Makes sense.

Here i was thinkin that it might reflect the heat back to
the container some.
duh. lol

Perk :rolleyes:

Hog On Ice
2003-02-02, 18:22
One approach I have been thinking of is to use a fairly thick fleece hat and a plastic bag on the inside as a cozy - use a foil covered pad for the base (same base as is used to cook on) - the plastic bag is to reduce heat loss due to water vapor going through the fleece. The hat I am thinking of is one that I would use at night on cold nights in addition to my balaclava. Unfortunately the hat I am thinking of does not appear to be sold any more so I can't attach a picture but anyways just think of a thick fleece hat sort of like a watch cap.

jumpngeorge
2003-02-11, 23:03
I was firing up my new brasslite last weekend. It was 28 degrees in Brooklyn. I just wanted to see what an ounce of fuel would do...While I watched the stove (water boiled in just over 8 minutes), I contemplated the notion of the pot cozy. I realized that my pot was just about the same circumference as my head. I figured that I during the winter, I took my fleece hat. I always take a small towel. I recharged the stove with one and a half ounces of fuel. I put 2 and a quarter cups of water in the pot with two table spoons of water. When the water started to boil, I mixed in a package of yellow rice and the spice packet. When the stove went out, I moved the pot to my folded towel and slipped my fleece hat over the pot. Twenty minutes later the rice was done.

I might have got better results if I put everything in the pot from the beginning...The cold also effected the results cooking time.

The hat trick works!

dixicritter
2003-02-11, 23:58
HOI, I'm thinking the plastic bag would just melt to your hot pot and make a huge mess inside the hat. I believe, and Rock will correct me if I'm wrong, the hat and towel combo that jumpngeorge just mentioned would be enough. Just my thoughts anyway. :)

SGT Rock
2003-02-12, 10:05
I don't think HOI plans to put the bag in the pot dear. Sounds like his plan would work, I have done something similar with those nasty freeze dried dinners. I think the best part is the dual use of the item, but I find I need my knit hat in camp, so using it as my cozy and letting my head freeze wouldn't be my preferd method on cold weather trips.

jumpngeorge
2003-02-12, 11:44
I have a hooded jacket. I can do without my hat for 20 minutes. The multi-use aspect of it is what made me want to try it. The hat and the cozy do exactly the same job, just in different context. I used my lighter hat in last weekend's test. I want to try it again with my heavier fleece hat. The lighter hat is light enough to take along. Wearing both hats is toasty...either one is enough...Seems like it would be less bulky and heavy the a separate cozy with no other purpose.

I will definitely let my freeze dried meals rehydrate in my hat.

flyfisher
2003-02-12, 15:41
I was laying the hammock last week, wearing a thin baklava and feeling a little chilly. (5 deg F)

And I had a pot cozy in the pack....

If one can use a watch cap as a pot cozy.... why not a pot cozy as a hat? Silly me!

<><

Redleg
2004-07-18, 23:28
I was laying the hammock last week, wearing a thin baklava and feeling a little chilly. (5 deg F)

And I had a pot cozy in the pack....

If one can use a watch cap as a pot cozy.... why not a pot cozy as a hat? Silly me!

<><
It's not what you don't know that bites you, it's what you saw all along but didn't understand that bites you.
jaf.

Pencil Pusher
2004-07-24, 15:47
I'm surprised the fleece doesn't melt touching the hot pot. Neat to hear about, though.

Mutinousdoug
2004-07-24, 23:33
Pencil;
Once you take the pot off the fire it cools to the temp of the liquid you boiled. Can't hardly be more than 200f after about 10 seconds. Fleece should be good to maybe 300 or 350f.
I suppose you could do an experiment and report to us here. MMMMM! fried fleece! I'm thinking tabasco sauce or mustard?

HOI: you might look at "Brigade Quartermaster" or "US Cavalry" for fleece watchcaps. I got my last one at one of those guys and modified it by putting a pull string in one end to close it up. I think they call it an "SAS cap". Should make a good cozy, it's about 16" long.

Doug

Lanthar
2004-09-07, 18:45
Expanding on Doug's idea, there are a number of manufacturers of fleece multi-purpose tubes... with draw strings at either end... doubles as a neck warmer / hat / some other stuff... if you're really looking for multi-purpose, that might be the ticket... of course a hat is probably the simplest...

Connie
2004-09-08, 14:44
Huh?

There are fleece caps available online, and at mountain gear shops. Ski shops have fleece caps. Sports Haus has fleece caps. I have seen fleece caps in Army Surplus stores.

Where are you looking?

Check out the hats listed on my clothing page, in Products: http://ultralightbackpacking.info/products The links there take you to more fleece hats. I just didn't list them all.

There are a lot of fleece hats, different fleece, different styles.

:damnmate:

maryphyl
2004-09-09, 04:28
I used to protest pot cozies (sp?) because I thought they were an unnecessary extra thing to take but I got shouted down and finally shut up. I use whatever insulation is handy--it does not have to fit the pot just so. This might be putting the pan or ziploc on a z-rest and covering it with whatever.

Nomad
2005-02-17, 11:42
Anyone tried this Foil Bubble wrap stuff?

I found some in a dumpster behind a chemical plant. Just happened to be the same size as my titanium pot (which gets cold in record times, but that's another thread) Taking my chances considering the source I made a circlular band and wrapped it around my gear.

This thing is beyond awesome. My food cooks for at least another 30min and stays hot for literally hours (i added a lid and bottom) I need half fuel.

Of course I learned how to presoak my grains.

Directions read: bring water to boil. add rice. simmer for 20-25min or until desired consistency.
I however:
1) presoak rice for 10min.
2) cook to boil
3) add pre-cooked meat
4) leave in cozy for 10-20min or more as desired

Savings are substanial
I'm sure someone already knew this but I figured it out on accident which was a pleasant surprise.

If one can use a watch cap as a pot cozy.... why not a pot cozy as a hat? Silly me! Of course it's a stupid looking hat

jimtanker
2005-02-17, 12:01
A good place to get that bubble foil stuff, besides the dumpster behind a nuke plant, is an auto parts store. Check out those windshield shades they have that you put in the front window. Some thick bubble wrap and very aluminized.

Lanthar
2005-02-17, 19:07
you can get it cheap at some hardware stores as well

Major Slacker
2005-03-04, 18:08
I used to protest pot cozies (sp?) because I thought they were an unnecessary extra thing to take but I got shouted down and finally shut up. I use whatever insulation is handy--it does not have to fit the pot just so. This might be putting the pan or ziploc on a z-rest and covering it with whatever.
Considering all the insulation we tote around, why add a cozy to the redundancy? If the weather is cold I get double benefit by wrapping the hot food in clothing I'm not wearing and stashing the bundle under the clothing I am wearing. Now THAT is a cozy cozy.

Steinberger
2005-08-14, 21:01
Guess this proves you learn something everyday. I never understood how you used pot cozies without them melting or catching on fire because all this time I was under the impression that you kept them on while cooking but it makes more sense if you just put them on after your done cooking.