PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Trail food

FireFighter56
2008-12-11, 02:09
:albertein well i put my dehydrator to use this week made 2 pounds of jerky and made 4 dehydrated meals to try....well..cooked the first one up and ate it just 10 min ago...and it was tasty ....not bad at all....goin to add a spice here and there, it was dehydrated pasta,onions,broc.,cel,and a single pack of spam ....hot sauce and par. cheese.....there was seasoning salt,garlic powder...in the mix ....not bad.....was tasty....and filled me up ...will pack the rest for a 2 day hike coming up....will make a video soon as i can of what i use and how i make it .....till then...hike on

Pappyhighlife
2009-01-02, 13:05
Great stuff I got into FBC the summer of 2007, swear by it now the menu is limited only by the creativity of the mind.

Last summer I did some of my wifes spaghetti sauce dried it on parchment paper. At camp added a cup of boiling water and bada-bing a taste of home for sure.

You may know this for long storage place the dried food in the freezer for two weeks it will pasteurize the product no mold will grow in that bag.

Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress.

enviro
2009-01-02, 13:26
I also vacuum seal my fbc meals and the components that I dehydrate to make up those meals, then put components in the freezer. This ups the shelf life significantly.

The vacuum sealer is excellent (saves space in my pack too), I leave a bit extra on the end of the bag, then when ready to eat, just cut the end of the bag off, pour water in, roll the bag over sev eral times seal it with a very small binder clip and slide in the cozy.

Wise Old Owl
2009-01-04, 03:31
Envirodiver have you noticed if you vac seal instant rice it looses the seal with microscopic holes in two months?

And man I hope that's not you in the avatar - you really should give up moonshining.:beer:

davesailer
2009-04-01, 21:12
A few wee brown squares are agreeable, Sir. Most agreeable on the trail, they are. (Brownies.) http://tinyurl.com/dkk435

warraghiyagey
2009-04-01, 21:13
I also vacuum seal my fbc meals and the components that I dehydrate to make up those meals, then put components in the freezer. This ups the shelf life significantly.

The vacuum sealer is excellent (saves space in my pack too), I leave a bit extra on the end of the bag, then when ready to eat, just cut the end of the bag off, pour water in, roll the bag over sev eral times seal it with a very small binder clip and slide in the cozy.

Geek. . .

A few wee brown squares are agreeable, Sir. Most agreeable on the trail, they are. (Brownies.) http://tinyurl.com/dkk435

Agreed. . .