PDA

View Full Version : Winter hammocking

Bearpaw
2008-12-25, 22:04
I've recently had the chance to use my new winter hammock rig in some solid sub-freezing weather.

My current rig is an ENO Double Nest Hammock with a closed cell foam pad and a DIY underquilt my wife, Sleeps With Skunks, made. It is from Kickass Quilts Hennessy Hammock model, made from 5 oz Primaloft Sport insulation. Above, I've been using Speer's Winter Tarp.

On my recent trip on the Foothills Trail in South Carolina, I used this system down to 18 F in wind gusts of 30-40 MPH.

I rigged the tarp at its normal height, with the Speer Tarp low to the ground.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Foothills%20Trail%2012%2008/046a.jpg

It made it a bit tight to get into the hammock, but it offered excellent protection from the cutting wind.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Foothills%20Trail%2012%2008/047a.jpg

Once inside, I was so warm with my home-made down quilt that I actually had to shed layers after the first couple of hours. But I definitely hammocked happy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Foothills%20Trail%2012%2008/032a.jpg

Rifleman
2008-12-26, 02:02
Informative post Bearpaw. I have an ENO double also. Don't use it much as the HH gets the most use. Used to go with an insulated inflatable. Once that was holed got disgusted with it and just use an UQ, weather shield and a ccw with it if necessary. Take along a emergency space blanket just in case to put in between the uq and HH. Still thinking about a piece of polyethelene (painters plastic?) as an overcover to extend the temp range topside in the hammock.

Like the idea of that new warbonnet blackbird but want to see how it shakes out through the season. Maybe Tom H. will come out with a better version. Like his workmanship and service.

Hog On Ice
2008-12-26, 07:55
I use a TrekLight double for winter/non-buggy areas (same thing as the ENO double). I have used a Hennessy in winter but I didn't like the way the frost formed on the bug netting then scrapped off on my head as I got in/out of the hammock. For insulation I currently am using a Snugfit underquilt with added CCF pads as needed. Previously I would use just the CCF pads - on coldest nights I would use 4 of the blue CCF pads. I also have tried the inflatables(Thermarest, Exped Downmat) but for the most part the risk of deflating was an issue for me plus I liked the ease with which I could trim the CCF pad to suit the diagonal lay in the hammock.

Bearpaw
2008-12-26, 09:10
I use a TrekLight double for winter/non-buggy areas (same thing as the ENO double). I have used a Hennessy in winter but I didn't like the way the frost formed on the bug netting then scrapped off on my head as I got in/out of the hammock. For insulation I currently am using a Snugfit underquilt with added CCF pads as needed. Previously I would use just the CCF pads - on coldest nights I would use 4 of the blue CCF pads. I also have tried the inflatables(Thermarest, Exped Downmat) but for the most part the risk of deflating was an issue for me plus I liked the ease with which I could trim the CCF pad to suit the diagonal lay in the hammock.

I've looked into a SPE, but in temps that only hover around freezing, I prefer the underquilt with no pad at all.

How do you manage all the pads? My worry with a SPE is that the pad bulk on top of my pack will be nearly as much as the gear inside my pack.

Hog On Ice
2008-12-26, 12:13
I agree - temps close to freezing or better I would just use the under quilt

to carry the 4 pads I used a Gearskin with the pads being the taco all the other gear is wrapped up in - for sleeping on the pads - I strapped them together so they don't shift relative to each other - I also don't use a SPE but would just stuff extra clothes or other soft gear next to my shoulders

currently with the two pads I am still trying to work out a good approach with the Gearskin - with the four pad approach my food was in a bear canister hung on the back of the pack - these days I am using a larger canister that fits nicely in the bottom of the pack but putting it there makes it a little difficult to taco the pads around it I think - more fiddling to come.

the pads do make the pack look rather large and it does make it somewhat more difficult to get through tight spots with the pack on

Bearpaw
2008-12-26, 13:08
Thanks HOI. It's good to know. If finances line up right, I'll be hiking the Long Trail in late June and July. I don't intend to carry an underquilt, but am a bit worried about temps dropping below 50 up in Vermont, which is where my arms and shoulder start to get uncomfortably cold since I'm a bit on the wide side.

I've been experimenting with a couple of sit pads to each side, and I'm also thinking of modifying the Gossamer Gear Thinlight pads (1/8") I have for side insulation. I just don't want a massively wide roll of pads hanging out on top of my pack. I may need to look at putting the side padding inside my pack.

Hog On Ice
2013-02-25, 18:01
reviving an old thread - here is an article from Gossamer Gear about a hammock user's winter trip: http://gossamergear.com/wp/buzz-blog/customer-of-the-week-alan-dixons-12-degree-35-mile-weekend-trip-with-hammock

lambdahammock
2017-04-06, 20:52
That's a beautiful set up.

I have yet to try winter camping but I'd like to next winter.

I haven't thought about pitching the tarp that low, I'll have to remember it for my first trip