PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get off AT after GA (nobo)

urbansix
2009-01-02, 12:11
I was starting to plan a GA thru-hike for this summer. I'm using TOPO! mapping. I was wondering what the best exit strategy would be for getting to a paved road after crossing the GA state line North bound. The AT itself appears to meander on for 25 miles before crossing one at Wallace Gap, unless I'm missing it. So I'm looking at a few trails that drop down to US 64 from about 3 miles inside NC (between White Oak Stamp and Big Laurel).

A) One follows "Chunky Gal Mountain" ridge until it hits US 64 at Riley Cove (~5.5 mi.)

B) One follows this trail for 2 miles then drops away west to hit US 64 at what appears to be Muskrat Branch (shortest route, ~3 mi. from AT, 6 from GA)

C) One hits a logging road ("unnamed street") that follows Buck Creek down and hits US 64 a few hundred yards East of Riley Cove. Roughly parallel to option A.

I know this is neither here nor there if you are not looking at a map and have not hiked it yourself. But thought I'd take a shot and see if anybody had. Depending on how plans develop, this may be an insertion point instead - probably easier that way. So really just looking for advice to get to/from the AT near the GA state line. And how well marked any of these trails might be.

Thanks!

lucky luke
2009-01-03, 07:09
hi,

not much help, but the best place to get off the AT after leaving georga is definitely springer mtn.!

have a safe hike,
lucky luke

Just Jeff
2009-01-03, 10:04
Is there a road crossing just on the GA side? Might be worth crossing, then backtracking a couple miles if it'll be shorter.

Bulldawg
2009-01-03, 12:00
You can get off at Blue Ridge Gap or Deep Gap. Deep Gap is a dirt road, pretty passable in just about anything you can drive on the street. It is on the NC side, maybe 6 or 7 miles into NC.

Blue Ridge Gap is about 3 miles or so south of the state line. It is not a road for your Honda Civics or Toyota Corollas, but any pickup can make it up to the gap. It is a pretty simple 3 mile hike to tag the state line from there.

Big Mac
2009-01-03, 12:58
Road to Deep Gap is closed for the winter according to Ron Haven. (See the same thread over on WB).

My response is also there. (Take Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian Campground)

Take-a-knee
2009-01-11, 17:29
Is there a road crossing just on the GA side? Might be worth crossing, then backtracking a couple miles if it'll be shorter.

Yes there is and the folks at Hiawasse Inn can arrange a shuttle to it.