PDA

View Full Version : New to tree hugging

padre
2009-01-12, 20:33
Hello to all:wavey:, this is my first post but feel I have known you for a while. Today I took possession of a new hh explore deluxe:biggrin:, Amazing bigger than expected even though I had laid out life size dimensions of the tarp, I've been reading reviews and suggestion's on this site for some time and am appreciative of the honest remarks (no corporate sponsorship). I intend this to replace my current issued sleep system of a poncho,bivi and bag as well as increase my comfort levels greatly, I may have a few suggestions on improving warmth but obviously will have to try for myself first. Will sign off now as I realise I'm rambling like a kid with a new toy speak again and once more thank-you.

P.s I live in N.Ireland so wet weather is always available for testing.

dixicritter
2009-01-12, 21:33
Welcome to the wonderful world of hammock camping and to HikingHQ padre! :)

peanuts
2009-01-12, 22:38
welcome padre:arty:

thread drift......dixi do you check your pm's:biggrin:

Serial
2009-01-15, 01:55
greetings padre...

Hooch
2009-01-15, 08:01
Hammock = Good
Ground = Bad

:beer:

Hog On Ice
2009-01-15, 09:01
Hammock = comfortable
Ground = painful

Hooch
2009-01-15, 09:12
Hammock = gently swaying in the breeze
Groung = lay there like a rock

Hog On Ice
2009-01-15, 09:21
Hammock = sleeping all night in one comfortable position
Ground = tossing and turning all night

peter_pan
2009-01-15, 11:10
Hammock.... next to Heaven.

Ground.... next to Hell.

Good decisions lead to salvation!

Pan

Hooch
2009-01-15, 11:13

Ground.... next to Hell.

Pan

This thread must now be closed. There's nothing that can top that. Ever. Really. :adore::adore::adore::beer:

taildragger
2009-01-15, 19:25

Ground.... next to Hell.

Pan

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than swing with the states.

Ground=less winter down

Jarhead
2009-02-06, 01:12
Swing in a hammock or lie awake on the ground wondering when you will fall asleep...you can always count the stars or clouds or various sounds...

warraghiyagey
2009-02-06, 01:17
ground=always comfy
hammock=huh??

DharmabumUSCG
2009-03-02, 00:48
Has anybody tried the exped multimatt in there hammock?

Bucky Katt
2009-03-04, 15:44
Does anyone else find their hammock uncomfy if they don't hang it as tight as you can get it? I was playing with my hammock the other day and noticed it wasn't as comfy when I hung it up as when Tater did. He told me he likes to get it really tight so there is no....swag in it. Anybody know what I'm talkin about? lol. I'm not sure I do myself.

Hog On Ice
2009-03-04, 16:12
'stu, it depends on the hammock - a Hennessy is typically hung quite tight but a ENO type is usually best with a 30 deg sag angle on the support straps

Bucky Katt
2009-03-04, 18:10
Tater and my hammocks are both ENO's. I wasn't comfy so I tightened it up and thought it felt more like when Tater would hang his. I'm not sure what a 30 deg. sag is...but I'll play with it and see if I can't get it right. :) I wonder why the diff. brand of hammocks would do better with different degrees of sagginess. I'd tend to think it had more to do with the particular person than the hamomock. weird. Do you go to the HOt Springs thing? Tater and I were thinking of going....though I dunno what a hammock stand is--I hear trees are limited. lol.

Hog On Ice
2009-03-05, 10:58
well I probably won't be at Hot Springs - I'm starting NOBO on the AT on 4 April

wrt sag angle definition: imagine a horizontal line between the trees - the angle between this line and the actual straps used to hang the hammock is the sag angle

why is sag angle important: 1.) a person laying in the hammock applies a sideways force on the trees - the smaller (more acute) the angle the greater the force - a 30 deg angle produces roughly the weigh of the person as the magnitude of this force - this is usually an acceptable amount of force for the support system to handle 2.) a 30 deg sag angle allows the user to lay in the hammock somewhat diagonaly which allows for a flatter lay (less of a banana shape) 3.) the smaller the sag angle (greater the force between the trees) the more shoulder squeeze one will feel - this may also result in cold spots on the shoulders depending on your insulation

wrt hammock stands: I made mine out of precut pipe sections and fittings from Lowes - if you feel comfortable with pipe wrenches this is not a bad way to go - basically its two upside down T sections with a horizontal section connecting the uprights approx 7 feet above the ground and about 12 feet long

Bucky Katt
2009-03-05, 16:08
hmm I'm plannin on playing with it some more this weekend...I'll work on the sag thing....:)

Austin
2009-03-05, 17:35
Does anyone else find their hammock uncomfy if they don't hang it as tight as you can get it? I was playing with my hammock the other day and noticed it wasn't as comfy when I hung it up as when Tater did. He told me he likes to get it really tight so there is no....swag in it. Anybody know what I'm talkin about? lol. I'm not sure I do myself.

I think I know what you're talkin about.
Let's see...

1.) Your hang was not as good as tater's hang.
2.) Tater likes it really tight. (no swag)

Did I leave anything out?

Austin
2009-03-05, 17:39
I'm not sure what a 30 deg. sag is...but I'll play with it and see if I can't get it right. :)

Excellent idea! Play with it till you get it right.

Austin
2009-03-05, 17:47
Just a suggestion, but sometimes... at first... you have to anticipate that you may have to work a little harder and compensate for a wee bit of stretching.

Of course, YMMV... :)

Bucky Katt
2009-03-06, 15:39
huh? lol

Hog On Ice
2009-03-06, 15:57
don't mind Austin - he gets confused easily - he thinks he is over on a forum like TT

Austin
2009-03-06, 18:06
don't mind Austin - he gets confused easily - he thinks he is over on a forum like TT

I thought it was great advice. When I first got my HH Explorer I strung it up like I thought it should be. When I got in it I sunk down almost to the ground. Streeeeetch.
You gotta break it in.

Lilred
2009-03-18, 19:01
I think I know what you're talkin about.
Let's see...

1.) Your hang was not as good as tater's hang.
2.) Tater likes it really tight. (no swag)

Did I leave anything out?

Excellent idea! Play with it till you get it right.

Just a suggestion, but sometimes... at first... you have to anticipate that you may have to work a little harder and compensate for a wee bit of stretching.

Of course, YMMV... :)

We are still talking about hammocks?? Maybe I need to get me one of those.

Kamen
2009-04-06, 07:40
A little late to the party but grats on the explorer deluxe padre, same model I swing in.

For warmth, your enemy is air flow under ya. Hennessy sells an undercover but I know ya said no corporate links so the good news is you can rig up something pretty similar with (in order from closest to your body) a blanket, foil space blanket, tarp, and some clips. You can also set up a tarp from the ridgeline to the ground on the windward side as a break.

Happy hangin.

Rifleman
2009-04-06, 14:23
Just don't hang on the same tree that someone has recently urinated on.:ahhhhh:

kayak karl
2009-04-14, 11:49
Just don't hang on the same tree that someone has recently urinated on.:ahhhhh:
tell my son. he pees on the tree AFTER we hang from it. :confused2