PDA

View Full Version : first set up

padre
2009-01-13, 15:42
Well managed to set up my hh today, and it was interesting:stupido2:as previously mentioned by another (name not remembered) I too had the problem of pitching the fly ?? does the stitching face upper most or does the seam sealer, I opted for the stitching upper most, and all seams to fit together quit well.
I tried 3 different heights to see how low I can set up and still try and keep some hope of stealth but either the ropes are to new (very stiff) or I'm doing something wrong but with the ridge line set at approx waist height hammock went straight on the ground upon entering, again set at approx chin level hammock just skimmed ground (may not prove a big problem if ground is smooth or dipped) but I think if I were to keep this height then I could prematurely were a hole in the hammock base, Lastly was at approx brow height and this seemed to be about as low as I could go,
I think that this point I should point out that I'm about 5' 5".
Enough rambling and down to business Questions and thoughts:albertein

I was considering replacing my tree huggers with a climbing sling the results for tree protection should be the same but I could use the sling better (tree hugger very short).

Also has anyone replaced the tarp guy lines with 2-5mm elastic and a guy line runner for adjust-ability as I think this could alleviate the problem of the sides collapsing upon entering will give this a go my self.

BIGGEST QUESTION on entering the hammock should your backside be located just over the base of the Velcro door and still stay asym, I've tried different positions within the hammock but do find the door a bit tight to open when exiting and feel like it might rip in the future.

In trying to occupy the hammock with a camp mat (really an open cell exercise mat) I discovered that it was exceptionally long but if I folded it in two then it created a lot more cushioning and warmth:biggrin:.

I think my next challenge is going to be allowed to use this on exercise as I think I will be told it isn't tactical but as a driver how can you make a 55ton truck that can wake the dead upon starting tactical????:camouflag:gob_lol.

I think that's it for now but if any one has any tips (haven't read them all)please suggest.

Mutinousdoug
2009-01-13, 18:12
First of all: Welcome Padre,
In answer to your questions:
The HH tree huggers ARE too short; especially out west here where the Ponderosa pines are 2ft+ in diameter. I think Tom offers longer ones?
I string my tarp independent of the hammock for the reasons you have enumerated. Also I can set up the tarp 1st when setting up and take it down last when packing up in inclement weather.
I string my hammock at eye level (I'm 5'6"); pull it snug, get inside and lay down in it, then get out,level and tighten the hammock ropes. Otherwise it ends up being too loose for my comfort.
Stand up in the hammock door, turn around and sit down. (This is more of an ordeal if you are arranging a pad.) I think the velcro opening is reinforced sufficiently to handle your entrance and exit.
As far as convincing your superiors you are "tactical"? That could be problematic. You could tell your superiors that at least one Yank slept in a hammock while on operations in RVN for 9-10 months as did all our Vietnamese scouts and all the NVA bad guys we encountered. You could offer to dig a hole and sling your hammock in that. I've done that before.
Good Luck.

padre
2009-01-16, 17:09
As mentioned before I was considering altering my tarp lines to elastic well I have and they seem to make a reasonable difference in that the tarp no longer sags when you get in.
Also have placed a Blake's hitch on the end of the elastic which is a grip and slide knot so it is adjustable to various length's.
Just above the end of the hammock while still staying slightly under the tarp I have placed a small prussik loop so clip in a crab and it's a handy and movable rucksack/webbing clip, Am still waiting on my altered bivi to return and hope this will combat the wind chill factor (made of gore-tex) but haven't yet been out in really cold weather.