PDA

View Full Version : Authorities looking for a Appalachian Trail hiker

TOW
2009-01-16, 22:38
Law enforcement authorities are looking for a former and possibly a current Appalachian Trail Hiker that goes by the name of "Crutch." His real name is Daniel Joseph Stearns.

He is wanted on charges that include theft in Florida, Iowa, and Colorado.

He is reported to be driving a red Toyota Camry with Florida tags.

He is known to frequent the Appalachian Trail and hostels and communities along the trail.

If you encounter this person please do not take matters in your own hands and contact Law Enforcement Authorities with this information.

He is approximately 6-6'1" tall, lean build, muscular, black or dark brown hair and brown eyes. His DOB is 11-02-1966.

This information has been confirmed and validated by the Chief Ranger for the Appalachian Trail, Ranger Todd Remaley.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45361

TOW
2009-01-16, 22:39
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19543&catid=searchresults&searchid=20751

dixicritter
2009-01-17, 09:23
Crutch with Cornflake at Cloud 9 (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/2/2/2/9/AT-Crutch.jpg)

Crutch (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/2/7/9/CrutchSKIshirt07.jpg)

Survivor Dave
2009-01-17, 17:27
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19543&catid=searchresults&searchid=20751

He's a low life for sure. I saw him "at work" at Cloud9 last year picking up on some naive rich girl.puke:

I was warned to watch my stuff when I stayed there. No inference to Fran and Laura who ran the hostel, nice enough folks.

Survivor Dave
2009-01-17, 18:01
Crutch with Cornflake at Cloud 9 (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/2/2/2/9/AT-Crutch.jpg)

Crutch (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/2/7/9/CrutchSKIshirt07.jpg)

Hey Dix, when you get the mugshot, please post it!:biggrin:

Rockhound
2009-01-21, 22:50
Crutch was at Standing Bear recently. Unfortunately all this information came to us the day after he left. I had heard rumors about Crutch prior to this but was willing to give him the benefit of doubt. No longer. On the plus side, the word is out. Anyone connected to the AT grapevine knows about this thief/con artist/sociopath so I doubt he'll be showing up along the trail any time soon and , if he does, I'm sure the appropriate action will be taken. Also, if there is such a thing as karma, a bear did destroy his tent and he had to night hike back to the hostel with a crappy headlamp with dying batteries at 2:00 in the morning. I'm sure he's still has a lot more bad karma heading his way.

Tin Man
2009-01-21, 23:29
Crutch was at Standing Bear recently. Unfortunately all this information came to us the day after he left. I had heard rumors about Crutch prior to this but was willing to give him the benefit of doubt. No longer. On the plus side, the word is out. Anyone connected to the AT grapevine knows about this thief/con artist/sociopath so I doubt he'll be showing up along the trail any time soon and , if he does, I'm sure the appropriate action will be taken. Also, if there is such a thing as karma, a bear did destroy his tent and he had to night hike back to the hostel with a crappy headlamp with dying batteries at 2:00 in the morning. I'm sure he's still has a lot more bad karma heading his way.

are you sure about the bear or just another one of stories?

this mofo must be caught. can't believe wb buried the thread. that's bullshit.

Tin Man
2009-01-21, 23:33

that mofo's mug shot and police bolo should be on the front page of whitefuckingblaze for all to see or before long they could very well end up posting a yellow ribbon.

Rockhound
2009-01-21, 23:58

Well I did see a rain fly all torn up and a hole ripped at the foot of his tent. The crappy headlamp I let him borrow was no good for night hiking yet he still showed up at 2:00 anyway. I do tend to believe this story based on the circumstances and the evidence I saw, but I'm not buying anything else he says.

Tin Man
2009-01-22, 00:06
Well I did see a rain fly all torn up and a hole ripped at the foot of his tent. The crappy headlamp I let him borrow was no good for night hiking yet he still showed up at 2:00 anyway. I do tend to believe this story based on the circumstances and the evidence I saw, but I'm not buying anything else he says.

okay, you were there, i wasn't, but considering all his other long tales, i smell a snake making his own tales look real. i mean how often do bears rip shit up? and to just happen to mr. tall tale, i don't know if i can believe that one.

DragonAss
2009-01-22, 00:08

Hear you there Tin Man!! WB has 26 people trying to drive a 60 passenger bus and they' re all sitting in the back seat. The DAs are editing each others post.

TaTonka

Rockhound
2009-01-22, 00:09
that mofo's mug shot and police bolo should be on the front page of whitefuckingblaze for all to see or before long they could very well end up posting a yellow ribbon.

A thief is a thief but, in the end, whatever things he steals are just that. Things. What really concerns me are the pink blazing stories I used to think were harmless. Just another hiker chasing some tail. I am now aware of domestic violence charges in CO. and last year a female hiker showed up at Standing Bear that had left cloud 9 with Crutch. I even congratulated her on hiking Crutch into the ground.(he had returned to cloud 9 before she arrived here) She didn't really respond. She just seemed quiet and distant. In hindsight I can't help but wonder what really may have happened to her.

dixicritter
2009-01-22, 00:16
Look folks this thread isn't about bashing WB, it is about Crutch. Let's stay on topic please.

cool breeze
2009-01-22, 00:20
A thief is a thief but, in the end, whatever things he steals are just that. Things. What really concerns me are the pink blazing stories I used to think were harmless. Just another hiker chasing some tail. I am now aware of domestic violence charges in CO. and last year a female hiker showed up at Standing Bear that had left cloud 9 with Crutch. I even congratulated her on hiking Crutch into the ground.(he had returned to cloud 9 before she arrived here) She didn't really respond. She just seemed quiet and distant. In hindsight I can't help but wonder what really may have happened to her.

That was Motor Butt. My understanding is she used him more than he used her.

Tin Man
2009-01-22, 05:14
Look folks this thread isn't about bashing WB, it is about Crutch. Let's stay on topic please.

with all respect, it is about CATCHING crutch and I think wb could help more in getting the word out. still a wb supporter here.

Lone Wolf
2009-01-22, 07:01
the shit you posted won WB will get deleted. you know that, right?

Tin Man
2009-01-22, 07:11
the shit you posted won WB will get deleted. you know that, right?

yep. i even reported my own post. :bandit:

dixicritter
2009-01-22, 08:59
If any posts were going to be deleted from this thread it would've happened last night. As I stated before, and Rock agrees with me here, What happens on WB has nothing to do with this site... This is HikingHQ.net.

As y'all can see we have left this thread open for discussion, there are pictures of Crutch (albeit linked ones) in this thread, and we are allowing updates to be posted. What we don't want to see happen is for this thread to turn into a "what WB should be doing with their thread on the matter" thread because that isn't the call of HikingHQ to make.

We hope that will be respected from here on out and this thread will stay on the topic of Crutch, trying to catch him and providing updates about him. Thank you in advance for y'alls co-operation. :)

Tin Man
2009-01-22, 09:10
That's cool. I won't mention that other place again. My apologies.

TOW
2009-01-22, 09:48
with all respect, it is about CATCHING crutch and I think wb could help more in getting the word out. still a wb supporter here.

Yeah but with Jack Tarlin and his crew coming onto the thread attroll did the best thing possible by shutting that thread down. Jack did his best to draw me out because I was the one who had begun the first thread on Crutch only I had mistakenly called him Clutch and Jack had to make it a point that I was coming on there using an alias on Crutch and I was posting under false crap and spreading malicious rumors which leads me to think that Tarlin is in Crutch's camp.

How it all came about was that I was asked here at home if I knew a hiker by the name of Clutch? And then they began to tell me this and that that had happened up in Troutdale. So as I pondered on that name I decided to get on WB and ask if anyone knew this cat and Jack gets on and asks me if I meant Crutch? I responded that is who I was talking about and then I said there were some bad rumors going on again about him.

Then ole Jack had to make it a point to let me know that I should not be on there posting crap about him and then the flame war began in PM's between him and I and they shut the thread down and even Alligator sent me a PM scolding me. They were right in a way but I did not feel Alligator was putting me down for it but I felt pretty spanked from Jack and Jack is still spanking me for it but I decided that I would not come back onto any public forum about Crutch when Jack is obviously trying to draw me out.

TOW
2009-01-22, 09:50
If any posts were going to be deleted from this thread it would've happened last night. As I stated before, and Rock agrees with me here, What happens on WB has nothing to do with this site... This is HikingHQ.net.

As y'all can see we have left this thread open for discussion, there are pictures of Crutch (albeit linked ones) in this thread, and we are allowing updates to be posted. What we don't want to see happen is for this thread to turn into a "what WB should be doing with their thread on the matter" thread because that isn't the call of HikingHQ to make.

We hope that will be respected from here on out and this thread will stay on the topic of Crutch, trying to catch him and providing updates about him. Thank you in advance for y'alls co-operation. :)I apologize, I did not read this before I posted my thought about what Tin Man had to say.

Rockhound
2009-01-22, 10:01
That was Motor Butt. My understanding is she used him more than he used her.

Different girl. I remember Motorbutt. Apparently Crutchs' M.O. was to stage a car at Fontana Dam so after he fleeced his prospective mark, he could hop off the trail there, return to Cloud 9 and do it all over again

Lone Wolf
2009-01-22, 10:06
oh c'mon, he's sick and needs fogiveness. he can't help what he does.

Wonder
2009-01-22, 10:14
Different girl. I remember Motorbutt. Apparently Crutchs' M.O. was to stage a car at Fontana Dam so after he fleeced his prospective mark, he could hop off the trail there, return to Cloud 9 and do it all over again
That had to start in 07 or 08.....he didn't have a car up until then, and he wasen't involved with Cloud 9 until then... BUt that is the first time I've heard that rumor.......who knows, could be true!

Rockhound
2009-01-22, 10:21
That had to start in 07 or 08.....he didn't have a car up until then, and he wasen't involved with Cloud 9 until then... BUt that is the first time I've heard that rumor.......who knows, could be true!

Hey Wonder, It was this past season. To get off topic for just a second, I feel bad for all you eagles fans. Donovan lost yet another NFC championship game. Better luck next year.

Wonder
2009-01-22, 10:38
AH....that would make sense. I was off trail (as off trail as Damascus is) and trying to ignore all things Crutch.
Yeah, Donovan is like an addiction. You love it, but ya gotta let it go......

TOW
2009-01-22, 10:40
I know that is directed to me so I will say "Fuck Off!" I don't think you get it........

Big Mac
2009-01-22, 10:43

You've always been a bleeding heart liberal . . .:biggrin:

Lone Wolf
2009-01-22, 11:00
I know that is directed to me so I will say "Fuck Off!" I don't think you get it........

it was not directed at you. you'll get a pass on the fuck off. what don't you think i get? the guy is a POS, he knows exactly what he's doing, will continue to do it til caught. was only joking about the forgiveness and sickness BS. he made choices. fuck him.
i gotta learn to use these :biggrin:more so folks feelings aren't hurt

DragonAss
2009-01-22, 11:20

Sorry Dixi,

Pent up frustrations took over my keyboard. I'll promise not to talk about anymore out of control vehicles. You give us more slack than we deserve. We appreciate ya.

TaTonka

TOW
2009-01-22, 13:01
it was not directed at you. you'll get a pass on the fuck off. what don't you think i get? the guy is a POS, he knows exactly what he's doing, will continue to do it til caught. was only joking about the forgiveness and sickness BS. he made choices. fuck him.

I apologize for being so darn touchy, cheers......:beer:

Lone Wolf
2009-01-22, 14:40

I apologize for being so darn touchy, cheers......:beer:

i just saw him off for home. no hard feelings at all folks :biggrin:

Wonder
2009-01-22, 15:22
I'm so glad he's heading back! It'll be good for him

DragonAss
2009-01-22, 16:50
I'm so glad he's heading back! It'll be good for him

Yea, don't know if I could shoulder all the crap he's had stuffed in his pack lately. Evidently his will is as big as his heart.

TOW
2009-01-23, 15:32
Unfortunately as I was heading home I went into convulsions right near Chatanooga. I managed to get off of the highway and into a gas station where an ambulance was called.

After I got out of the hospital and called Jeff he requested me to return his truck and come back home. That is where I am at right now. I am still planning on going out there, just by a different means.....

TOW
2009-01-23, 16:24
i just saw him off for home. no hard feelings at all folks :biggrin:
I want you all to know when Lone Wolf showed up yesterday to see me off it was a very humbling experience....

I'll be re-leaving on Greyhound tomorrow afternoon........and and I'll be riding back with Dragons Ass next week........

TOW
2009-01-23, 18:55
Yeah but with Jack Tarlin and his crew coming onto the thread attroll did the best thing possible by shutting that thread down. Jack did his best to draw me out because I was the one who had begun the first thread on Crutch only I had mistakenly called him Clutch and Jack had to make it a point that I was coming on there using an alias on Crutch and I was posting under false crap and spreading malicious rumors which leads me to think that Tarlin is in Crutch's camp.

How it all came about was that I was asked here at home if I knew a hiker by the name of Clutch? And then they began to tell me this and that that had happened up in Troutdale. So as I pondered on that name I decided to get on WB and ask if anyone knew this cat and Jack gets on and asks me if I meant Crutch? I responded that is who I was talking about and then I said there were some bad rumors going on again about him.

Then ole Jack had to make it a point to let me know that I should not be on there posting crap about him and then the flame war began in PM's between him and I and they shut the thread down and even Alligator sent me a PM scolding me. They were right in a way but I did not feel Alligator was putting me down for it but I felt pretty spanked from Jack and Jack is still spanking me for it but I decided that I would not come back onto any public forum about Crutch when Jack is obviously trying to draw me out.

I just want to say I totally forgive Jack. That guy sent me a PM yesterday before I left and his words were soothing and inspiring. I was taken aback. He really impressed me.

Tin Man
2009-01-23, 20:26
I just want to say I totally forgive Jack. That guy sent me a PM yesterday before I left and his words were soothing and inspiring. I was taken aback. He really impressed me.

see, he is human, just like the rest of the stand-up guys*

be well.

*Oregon Hiker, you reading this? Step off!